• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink ‘Core’ major disruption (04/04)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
What happens to the Driver when this occurs - obviously a "meeting without coffee" but the cost of the delays must be astonomical , add in that pantograph and overhead damage ? Disciplined ? Not fired surely - final warning? - If you caused this amount of delay or damage equivalent in any other industry - what would the sanction be?
To me, that seems a bit harsh, especially if a driver hasn't encountered that particular scenario before or perhaps has only encountered once in any given year. Would you have him or her pay for a new pantograph as well?

Surely a friendly reminder/refresher training is all that is needed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
That sounds good, more training and like the AIB, "how do we stop this happening again" mindset, rather than looking for sanction.
Its cheaper to provide more training to someone who's already a driver, than to replace them and have to train someone from scratch. But I am sure there are some with a list of incidents as long as your arm

uglymonkey

To me, that seems a bit harsh, especially if a driver hasn't encountered that particular scenario before or perhaps has only encountered once in any given year. Would you have him or her pay for a new pantograph as well?

Surely a friendly reminder/refresher training is all that is needed?

I wasn't trying to be draconian , only to find out what would happen ( retraining) rather than summary dismissal, ( which i agree would be harsh especially for a "1st offence!)

baz962

Established Member
I wasn't trying to be draconian , only to find out what would happen ( retraining) rather than summary dismissal, ( which i agree would be harsh especially for a "1st offence!)
That would probably depend , both on seriousness of the incident and the length of time between incidents. If you had say three in a year, it would probably be career over. But if you had a spad and ten years later had an overspeed incident and five years later a platform overrun , you might be ok.

Established Member
If you had say three in a year, it would probably be career over. But if you had a spad and ten years later had an overspeed incident and five years later a platform overrun , you might be ok.

Yes. That’s what usually does for people. Running up three or four in the first year after passing out puts you into danger zone territory, especially if that includes the same type of incident more than once (a guy at my last place having two SPADS within about three weeks and losing his key comes to mind!). Most likely because management will come to see that person as a liability and perhaps not cut out for the job.

Even later in one’s career a flurry of incidents can lead to being taken off track for psychological assessment/investigation. Although of course more leeway is (rightly) given after a long period of incident free service.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The incident referred to in the OP is now well behind us so we will bring this thread to a close.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.