• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink and Southern timetable reduction from 26th July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I’ve just noticed that the Brighton-Hove shuttles, or at least some of them - we await full timetables - are coming off in September. As there is no mention of the West Worthing 313s coming back, this reduces Brighton-Coastway West to just 2tph (Portsmouth and Southampton) in most hours, down from 6tph pre-Covid. Certainly one of the more dramatic cuts, and on a well-used piece of the network.

The Hove shuttles connected (ish) with ex-Victoria via Preston Park services to Littlehampton. I guess it may be possible to travel up to Preston Park on Thameslink and change there for West Coastway, if the timetable aligns suitably.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I’ve just noticed that the Brighton-Hove shuttles, or at least some of them - we await full timetables - are coming off in September. As there is no mention of the West Worthing 313s coming back, this reduces Brighton-Coastway West to just 2tph (Portsmouth and Southampton) in most hours, down from 6tph pre-Covid. Certainly one of the more dramatic cuts, and on a well-used piece of the network.

The Hove shuttles connected (ish) with ex-Victoria via Preston Park services to Littlehampton. I guess it may be possible to travel up to Preston Park on Thameslink and change there for West Coastway, if the timetable aligns suitably.

It's a shame they can't run those Portsmouth/Southampton services as pairs of 377s to allow for more space to cater for the missing services.

Isn't there still at least one booked 313 on a Brighton - Portsmouth diagram? (Although I've noticed the evening GWR Brighton starter is a 2 coach 158 which I suspect is busy!)

Such a retrogade step imo. The trains from Brighton to the East and West Coastway have been rammed in the past few weeks.

hermit

Isn't there still at least one booked 313 on a Brighton - Portsmouth diagram? (Although I've noticed the evening GWR Brighton starter is a 2 coach 158 which I suspect is busy!)
It’s a long time since I experienced anything but a 313 when travelling between Portsmouth and Brighton. In addition to the annoying non-alignment between seats and windows, there is the serious matter of the absence of toilets. Careful planning of drink intake is advisable.

The GWR train is indeed very crowded, as it leaves Brighton at prime commuter time. It gets less busy as it goes west, when it becomes an attractive option because it has fewer stops than (all?) Southern trains.

londonteacher

It’s a long time since I experienced anything but a 313 when travelling between Portsmouth and Brighton
377s are regularly used. I travelled a week ago on one from Brighton to Portsmouth and most of the services seemed to be 377s with 313s working the shorter routes such as Seaford.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Good to see today that with another fiasco on ECML between Huntingdon and Peterborough they have at least switched the HRH-PBO's to London Bridge Ctl.

It’s a long time since I experienced anything but a 313 when travelling between Portsmouth and Brighton. In addition to the annoying non-alignment between seats and windows, there is the serious matter of the absence of toilets. Careful planning of drink intake is advisable.

The GWR train is indeed very crowded, as it leaves Brighton at prime commuter time. It gets less busy as it goes west, when it becomes an attractive option because it has fewer stops than (all?) Southern trains.

377s are regularly used. I travelled a week ago on one from Brighton to Portsmouth and most of the services seemed to be 377s with 313s working the shorter routes such as Seaford.

On Mondays to Fridays, it appears 313s are the dominant traction on Brighton - Portsmouth services, with 377s on weekends.

Tomp94

Got a feeling that the weekday and Saturday timetable has the 313s replacing the 377s on Brighton to Portsmouth runs, it leaves Brighton on the hour.
Although I think there were some 377s last week working Portsmouth & Southsea to Victoria via Hove instead of via the Arun Valley Line, as the AV line was closed for engineering.
I wish the 377s were brought back for the Portsmouth runs instead of the 313s!

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
My usual barometers of the live departure boards for Arlesey, Salfords and Littlehaven suggest a much improved Thameslink service since the timetable changes of yesterday.

Southern has been poor in parts, though. There was a 3-hour gap in Up and Down Uckfields this afternoon, following a 171 failure on top of the reduced 2-hourly timetable.

Meanwhile, cancellation of the 17.30 Brighton-Southampton due to ‘a planning error’ left a 58-minute gap in West Coastway departures, where there would normally be 5 or 6 departures over this period. Given the great weather plus a return to the office for many, I imagine the 18.00 to Portsmouth will be absolutely heaving. I bet they put a 313 on it….

I have business in Crawley later this week, and the random hourly gaps in the East Coastway timetable make for some unattractive journey times. I wouldn’t contemplate commuting further, regularly, until this sub-Sunday (plus additional cancellations) timetable is binned.

Kite159

Veteran Member
My usual barometers of the live departure boards for Arlesey, Salfords and Littlehaven suggest a much improved Thameslink service since the timetable changes of yesterday.

Southern has been poor in parts, though. There was a 3-hour gap in Up and Down Uckfields this afternoon, following a 171 failure on top of the reduced 2-hourly timetable.

Meanwhile, cancellation of the 17.30 Brighton-Southampton due to ‘a planning error’ left a 58-minute gap in West Coastway departures, where there would normally be 5 or 6 departures over this period. Given the great weather plus a return to the office for many, I imagine the 18.00 to Portsmouth will be absolutely heaving. I bet they put a 313 on it….

I have business in Crawley later this week, and the random hourly gaps in the East Coastway timetable make for some unattractive journey times. I wouldn’t contemplate commuting further, regularly, until this sub-Sunday (plus additional cancellations) timetable is binned.

Most likely a 313 that service, making the journey even more uncomfortable with the lack of AC in this hot weather

I suspect the Brighton bus company is enjoying the extra revenue from passengers deciding to ditch the railways

Adsy125

For those who didn't follow Coastway pre COVID, what were the 6tph from Brighton?

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
West Coastway:

1tph Brighton - Portsmouth Harbour
1tph Brighton - Southampton Central
2tph Brighton - West Worthing
2tph Brighton - Hove
2tph London Victoria - Littlehampton via Hove

East Coastway:
1tph Brighton - Ore
1tph Brighton - Hastings
2tph Brighton - Seaford
2tph Brighton - Lewes

The pre covid timetable still operates on Saturdays.

Timmyd

Sutton Loop working well the last couple of days (apart from a bridge strike at TUH tonight) and loadings about right in the peaks. Catford Loop passengers up in arms though at the new reductions and very active on the TL twitter feed.

Tomp94

Urgh, the Brighton-Hove Shuttles have been ditched, which means I have a 6 minute connection at Preston Park to go to Brighton. And if, like the other week, the London bound train that stops at Preston Park is even slightly delayed, I then miss the connection at Preston park as there is not enough time to walk down the stairs and through to the up platform.
Alternatively, it's a 20 minute wait at either Hove or my departure station for a rammed 313 direct to Brighton!

The coastway NEEDS more services on a Monday - Friday basis. Services are RAMMED
Yup!

edit: train from Preston Park cancelled yet again,, so I am now mid way through a 25 minute wait at Hove for the 313 to Brighton!

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
There was a six-hour gap in Uckfield departures today, between 10.33 and 16.33

The train to form the 12.33 was delayed on the way down, due to a bridge bash at Edenbridge, and was turned at Crowborough.

The 14.33 (and inbound working) was then cancelled due to unit failure.

Southern’s initial Tweet was along the lines of ‘we’re only running a limited timetable anyway, so HARD CHEESE and travel later.’ More helpful advice was subsequently posted.

To be fair, the Sunday-minus timetable along the south coast does at least appear to be running quite reliably, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.