• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The AC Electrics: Classes 80-85, 86, 87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Sunset

Established Member
Cecil J Allen, inveterate longstanding old school train timer right through from the pre-grouping era to the 1970s (he was on board Mallard's 126mph), and long used to steam and then Class 40 performance out of Euston, took his first run in 1966 in the week the mainstream Liverpool/Manchester service started. His heading in his Modern Railways column was "93mph at Willesden - Going Down!". He felt it was like something from a parallel universe.
Although invited by Sir Nigel to travel on what became the world record run, C J Allen was otherwise engaged that day, so was unable to be present on that famous journey.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Interesting to read - so even if overnight on motorail you could choose (subject to payment) seated carriages or sleepers. I was certainly unaware of that. Thanks for posting it.
Not all Motorail services offered that, although I think most did, but some were Sleeping Cars only which and some of these on the longer journeys included a TSO in the formation so that passengers had somewhere to sit - and perhaps to consume tray meals - until bed time .

I had an idea there were some where the same set worked one way overnight and the other way daytime (with the sleepers out of use) but making efficient use of the car carriers but I am struggling to trace such a train.

Last edited:

Phil G

It’s not surprising that Class 84s made rare appearances on top link InterCity services
First time I ever saw or was hauled by an electric was an 84 (001 I think) in 1976 when I travelled from Bristol to Manchester for my brother's wedding.

Bristol to Birmingham was a peak and the 84 took over from BHM.

Saw my first 44 Scafell Pike that day, my first 20 and 40 what a fantastic time it was then. My parents put me on the train and they went by car, I was 14.

Last edited by a moderator:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Not all Motorail services offered that, although I think most did, but some were Sleeping Cars only which and some of these on the longer journeys included a TSO in the formation so that passengers had somewhere to sit - and perhaps to consume tray meals - until bed time .

I had an idea there were some where the same set worked one way overnight and the other way daytime (with the sleepers out of use) but making efficient use of the car carriers but I am struggling to trace such a train.
Thanks - interesting to read about that.

Although invited by Sir Nigel to travel on what became the world record run, C J Allen was otherwise engaged that day, so was unable to be present on that famous journey.
In this Andrew Martin claims CJ A declined because it was a sunday, implication it was faith related choice.
Happen to be reading it at the moment!

Revaulx

The 84s having been built by a terminally declining NBL clearly didn't help their reliability, but I don't think the GEC electrical equipment was up to much either. The AM5s were also GEC-equipped and had lots of problems in their early days, unlike the similar but EE-equipped AM8s.

Inversnecky

Some interesting shots from above.

Various shots detailing the innards, including the troublesome mercury arc rectifier:

At the risk of cross contaminating two topics...

The forum has automerged my last three posts, jumbling three distinct comments. Hope they can still be made sense of!

Attachments

• 49DD7D68-6D5C-4C9F-A67F-CF09FE4CD9E7.jpeg
    49DD7D68-6D5C-4C9F-A67F-CF09FE4CD9E7.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 58
  • E665A5CC-7A0A-42EC-8E98-C0583F9A2EA7.jpeg
    E665A5CC-7A0A-42EC-8E98-C0583F9A2EA7.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 58
  • BDE152C5-7C6E-4C6F-9FB4-DE84DABF1DF6.jpeg
    BDE152C5-7C6E-4C6F-9FB4-DE84DABF1DF6.jpeg
    629.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 7E80CFD2-C08C-4C64-AD00-ECF1CF4B6BE4.jpeg
    7E80CFD2-C08C-4C64-AD00-ECF1CF4B6BE4.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 57
  • A9093DA1-39A9-4D8A-A15B-58F99A09CD94.jpeg
    A9093DA1-39A9-4D8A-A15B-58F99A09CD94.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 56
  • C7DE1EFA-887B-40B3-A7C4-43DE62B7BC20.jpeg
    C7DE1EFA-887B-40B3-A7C4-43DE62B7BC20.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 53
  • A5647089-FFAC-44BA-8819-618941CCDB44.jpeg
    A5647089-FFAC-44BA-8819-618941CCDB44.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 12F49C4D-22A4-4715-9552-47158D973D83.jpeg
    12F49C4D-22A4-4715-9552-47158D973D83.jpeg
    756.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Inversnecky

if you use the 'edit' function you can cut and paste as (and if) you feel necessary. It took me a few tries to work this one out!

Thanks for the tip. I can see the desire for forum tidiness, but when you are replying to distinct comments and the responses get thrown together, it looks like you're all over the place.

Pictures are still all at the end though, can't be separated out though?

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Thanks for the tip. I can see the desire for forum tidiness, but when you are replying to distinct comments and the responses get thrown together, it looks like you're all over the place.

Afraid I can't help on that element, unless you delete and reload in the required locations. Others may know a better way?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Then I would suggest quoting a post you want to reply to, add your reply. Then quote the next person and add the reply to that and so on.

At least that way you have the original posts you are replying to to illustrate exactly what your own post's sections relate to.

Inversnecky

Does anyone recognise this?

What happened here?

Attachments

• 506CBF20-7793-4897-BAD7-24689F2BAEF9.jpeg
    506CBF20-7793-4897-BAD7-24689F2BAEF9.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 144

Richard Scott

Established Member

What happened here?
Expect the oil in the transformer overheated and ignited. Seems to happen more frequently as locos get older and maintenance ignored. Look at the French 25500s, quite a few went the same way in last couple of years as SNCF got a few more years out of them as cheaply as possible. Must admit I am speculating here.

Beebman

What happened here?

I've found a photo of a tarpaulin-covered 85001 under tow on Flickr, is it the same loco?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21611052@N02/6123392182

Caption:
85001 was damaged by fire on the 13th October 1985 whilst in charge of the 16:15 Euston-Manchester service. Repair costs were deemed to high and it was withdrawn four days later finally succumbing to the cutters torch at MC Metals, Glasgow, in April 1989.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Expect the oil in the transformer overheated and ignited. Seems to happen more frequently as locos get older and maintenance ignored. Look at the French 25500s, quite a few went the same way in last couple of years as SNCF got a few more years out of them as cheaply as possible. Must admit I am speculating here.

Transformer fires happened even when the locos were fairly new; the first occasion when a loco was damaged by fire beyond economic repair was AL2 E3055 in September 1966, and I mentioned E3046 in Jan '71 above.
I think that the cabs were steel (for crash protection) but the main body was aluminium on the AL1 - 5s; after its fire, all that remained of E3046's bodywork were the two cabs, the body having melted in the fire.
It's possible that there were earlier fires and the loco(s) concerned were repaired because of their young age.

CW2

Established Member
Back in 1981 I got a job as a booking boy / assistant controller in Willesden power box. At that time the fast line tunnels at Kensal Green were closed for a period of maintenance / renewals. Having reported to the Area Manager's Office at Willesden, the Area Operations Manager walked me across to Willesden PSB to introduce me to the shift manager. As we entered the box, it was apparent that all hell was breaking loose. A class 81-85 hauled passenger train had just entered Kensal Green Tunnel on the Up Slow when its transformer had exploded, with the top of the transformer being ejected through the roof of the loco, bringing down the overheads. The job was just a little bit stopped.
"Welcome to Willesden PSB" was a phrase I didn't hear that day! I only wish I had recorded which loco was involved.

Inversnecky

Expect the oil in the transformer overheated and ignited. Seems to happen more frequently as locos get older and maintenance ignored.
That sort of fire happened more frequently?

You can see the heads of the passengers craning out the windows and looking toward the loco.

If I was one of them, I'd probably never want to be hauled by an electric loco ever again!

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That has to be a good contender! slightly OT but the caption mentions stopped on the down slow, doesn’t that track it’s sat on look just a little bit below par for a piece of WCML slow line or is it just my eyes?

Yes it doesn’t look great does it?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh dear, someone left the toast in too long...
I hate it when that happens! ;)

That has to be a good contender! slightly OT but the caption mentions stopped on the down slow, doesn’t that track it’s sat on look just a little bit below par for a piece of WCML slow line or is it just my eyes?
It's also jointed, I thought part of the WCML electrification works also saw off the last of the jointed stuff on the mainline

Merle Haggard

Established Member

If it's at Wolverton, it must be in the sidings on the up side of the slow lines - these gave access to the stone terminal. The up slow must be the track with concrete sleepers on the extreme left.
But my memory is that there was only one track on the stone siding, and I don't recognise the background as looking like Wolverton.

jfollows

Established Member
If it's at Wolverton, it must be in the sidings on the up side of the slow lines - these gave access to the stone terminal. The up slow must be the track with concrete sleepers on the extreme left.
But my memory is that there was only one track on the stone siding, and I don't recognise the background as looking like Wolverton.
I did think "Wolverton" when I saw it, attached is a track plan dating from around 1966 (put it this way, from before Hanslope Junction for sure).

Attachments

• Wolverton_1966_1.png
    Wolverton_1966_1.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
  • Wolverton_1966_2.png
    Wolverton_1966_2.png
    4 MB · Views: 34

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I did think "Wolverton" when I saw it, attached is a track plan dating from around 1966 (put it this way, from before Hanslope Junction for sure).

Thanks for that. My memory of the works sidings was that they were between the down slow and up fast, but the map corrects me they were between the down and up slow. So the down slow is the concrete sleepered track on the left and the up slow the most distant track.
By the way, the stone siding was originally served by going around two sides of the triangle (the old Newport branch) shown on the 1966 map, but was simplified about 1980 to be accessed by a straight siding alongside the up slow.
I went past Wolverton twice every day I was at work for 30 years, but still had difficulty placing it :oops:

Presumably the Shark was used because it was braked (LM brake fitted brake vans were usually piped) but traffic guards objected to riding in them (short wheelbase) and a traffic brake was used behind the Shark on the main line. Maybe the guard is unhappy; also the back brake hose doesn't seem to be on the stop...

jfollows

Established Member
Thanks for that. My memory of the works sidings was that they were between the down slow and up fast, but the map corrects me they were between the down and up slow. So the down slow is the concrete sleepered track on the left and the up slow the most distant track.
behind the Shark on the main line. Maybe the guard is unhappy; also the back brake hose doesn't seem to be on the stop...
Ah, good, thank you. That's just about where I'd got to also, so the number of lines and type of sleepers looks about right.

randyrippley

Established Member

What happened here?

What was the correct evacuation procedure in a fire like that? The loco is obviously too far gone to be moved away, so do you get everyone onto the track (and pray), or retreat to the end coach and wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.