• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The All TOC Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

We've got a new quiz for you all, the idea for this came from user [m=maniacmartin]15048[/m], the idea of the game is to come up with a journey that involves travelling with every train operating company (TOC).

Here's the explanation from Martin:

maniacmartin said:
I have a question that's been bugging me for a while.

What's the cheapest ticket combination and itinerary that you know of that includes travel on ALL TOCs? Lowest result wins!

For this question, a TOC is a member of ATOC, not a brand of a train operation company, so Southern and Gatwick Express are the same etc. You can buy rovers, rangers, travelcards, seasons and railcards BUT NOT ADVANCE AP tickets out of the budget, and can't buy a railcard that has eligibility criteria. You can BoJ or start/finish short if the ticket permits it.

All travel must be covered by the tickets - you cannot walk between stations, except for an official OSI.

To clarify:

• 'All Line Rovers' are excluded, these may not be used.
  • The railcard rule is that you may buy a Network Railcard (for example) however you may not buy a 16-25 railcard as this has age eligibility criteria.
  • The price of the railcard has to be included in your final sum.
  • You may not purchase 'Advance' or 'Advance First' tickets, nor any other ticket that has to be purchased in advance of travel, you may only buy walk up tickets.

Good Luck!

TP

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Nope, not including LUL.

If you're putting something together, please express interest in the thread so we have a gauge.

Cheers,

TP

Trainfan344

Established Member
Does it include Merseyrail as well?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have compiled this list of toc's to cover. anyone disagree, as this is the first step.

TOC's To cover
Arriva Trains Wales
C2C
Chiltern
Cross Country
East Coast
East Midlands Trains
Eurostar
First Capital Connect
First Great Western
First Hull Trains
First Scot Rail
Grand Central
Greater Anglia
Heathrow Connect
Heathrow Express
London Midland
London Overground
Merseyrail
Northern
South West Trains
Southeastern
Southern
Transpenine Express
Virgin West Coast

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have to admit, I got a bit excited when I saw this thread had been posted in ;)

TOC's To cover
Arriva Trains Wales
C2C
Chiltern
Cross Country
East Coast
East Midlands Trains
Eurostar
First Capital Connect
First Great Western
First Hull Trains
First Scot Rail
Grand Central
Greater Anglia
Heathrow Connect
Heathrow Express
London Midland
London Overground
Merseyrail
Northern
South West Trains
Southeastern
Southern
Transpenine Express
Virgin West Coast

Slight alterations, yes MR is included.

TP

Trainfan344

Established Member
Ok then, I have a nice Excel Spreadsheet ready now i have everything.

Crossover

Established Member
Very interesting question maniacmartin!

I'm not going to have time to put anything together, but I will be very interested to see the results :)

gnolife

Established Member
I've got two questions.
The first is; Is Oyster permitted for this?
The second is; Can I use London Underground, Croydon Tramlink (for Wimbledon to East Croydon as an example), or Docklands Light Railway (for Limehouse to Lewisham as an example) as means of connection?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I've got two questions.
The first is; Is Oyster permitted for this?
The second is; Can I use London Underground, Croydon Tramlink (for Wimbledon to East Croydon as an example), or Docklands Light Railway (for Limehouse to Lewisham as an example) as means of connection?

If the Croydon Tramlink is allowed, then the Manchester Metrolink with many of its stations being former National Rail stations, should also be allowed.

Also, what about the Tyne and Wear Metro ?

Can we have a ruling on these, please.

D6975

Established Member
What about services run by one TOC on behalf of another?
Which one counts?
This makes a huge difference.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The full list of TOCs is at http://www.atoc.org/train-companies. Yes, let's exclude Eurostar. They also exclude Heathrow Connect (odd, but presumably because both of its parent companies are TOC members anyway).

Interesting questions about Oyster, LU, T&W metro and trams. My suggestion is that you *can* travel on them but are not obliged to do so, and that any ticket used by them must be purchasable from a TOC, and included in the budget, which I believe would exclude Oyster ??

I think that the TOC listed as running the service in the National Rail Timetable should count

I'm sure transportphoto will be able to clarify the rules

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Including Eurostar is going to make things awkward, adds in an un necessary trip across the channel, EUROSTAR is therefore NOT required. Oyster PAYG is acceptable, however you don't have to include travel on LUL, DLR, Croydon Tramlink (etc) & light rail systems are not included however you may use these for connections.

The TOC shown as running the service in the NRT is the TOC that counts. You have to cover both Heathrow Connect and Heathrow Express.

Hope this helps wind up loose hairs.

TP

Trainfan344

Established Member
I have done it, I spent a total of...

£378.50

Have attached the Spreadsheet with the sums and journeys on it for verification.

Attachments

• All Toc's Quiz.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 61

Ivo

Established Member
I take it the use of "marginal" tickets - i.e. taking advantage of an Easement in a way it isn't meant to be used for, for instance - is not permitted?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I take it the use of "marginal" tickets - i.e. taking advantage of an Easement in a way it isn't meant to be used for, for instance - is not permitted?

As long as you can justify it.

TP

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor

£378.50

Have attached the Spreadsheet with the sums and journeys on it for verification.

Interesting that you bought a separate ticket for each leg of the journey. Surely that can't be the cheapest way of doing all of those legs?

Trainfan344

Established Member
Interesting that you bought a separate ticket for each leg of the journey. Surely that can't be the cheapest way of doing all of those legs?

Parts of those are where it is cheaper, and I know it's probably a bit cheaper with an oyster.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm down to £155 and am now looking for RJ-style splits. You can cover a fair few of them with an Off-Peak Travelcard

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
I'm down to 141.20, and think that that'll be the best I can offer.

Attachments

• All Tocs.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 55

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm down to 141.20, and think that that'll be the best I can offer.
Can't seem to find any fare info on this spreadsheet, could you add this for us please?

£378.50

I'm interested to find how you've got from Newcastle to Carlisle for £4.00, along with a few other journeys, could you add more information to the spreadsheet like ticket type and to and from stations for the tickets? Please remember that Advance Purchase tickets are not permitted.

TP

gnolife

Established Member
Can't seem to find any fare info on this spreadsheet, could you add this for us please?

I'm interested to find how you've got from Newcastle to Carlisle for £4.00, along with a few other journeys, could you add more information to the spreadsheet like ticket type and to and from stations for the tickets? Please remember that Advance Purchase tickets are not permitted.

TP

Its two sheets - one of travel, one of fares.

gnolife

Established Member
I could only find the one sheet, the other two were blank.

I think I sent the wrong version then :(
The tickets that I suggested were:
Off Peak Day Travelcard
SVR London Terminals - Glasgow Cen/Qst
CDR Stockport - Liverpool S Pway
I can't quote the prices at the moment, because I'm on mobile.

Trainfan344

Established Member

TP

I was using National Rail Enquiries to give me ticket prices, The first few times i did it they were anytimes, so I thought it was all anytime singles.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I was using National Rail Enquiries to give me ticket prices, The first few times i did it they were anytimes, so I thought it was all anytime singles.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect Newcastle to Carlise to be £4 walkup. Can you revise your fares by using www.brfares.com, this will make a difference between Advance and walk up tickets.

TP

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think I may have a combination that's under £140. Will check it against the Routeing Guide tonight.

I originally thought funny splits and and Route LM Only etc tickets would work out best, but like gnolife I'm coming to the conclusion that long-distance through tickets might be better.

Also, gnolife please note that the Heathrow Express and the Heathrow Connect route between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow cannot be used with a travelcard, as the line between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow is a private railway (but through tickets are available from some stations to H584 Heathrow Rail). I hope you factored this when choosing your tickets!

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
I think I may have a combination that's under £140. Will check it against the Routeing Guide tonight.

I originally thought funny splits and and Route LM Only etc tickets would work out best, but like gnolife I'm coming to the conclusion that long-distance through tickets might be better.

Also, gnolife please note that the Heathrow Express and the Heathrow Connect route between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow cannot be used with a travelcard, as the line between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow is a private railway (but through tickets are available from some stations to H584 Heathrow Rail). I hope you factored this when choosing your tickets!

Yup, I used the fact that HEX is free between Heathrow Central and T5, and the Piccadilly line to get out of Heathrow. I used the Connect between Southall and Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.