• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "And in other news..." thread

najaB

Veteran Member
If you're anything like me you probably come across stories that you feel like sharing, but half-way through posting a new thread you think "Maybe it's not necessary to start a whole new thread about this I might be the only person who finds it interesting. OMG, if I post this they're going to think I'm weird. Wait, maybe they already think I'm weird. Why is life so hard, I'm off to cry in the corner." Again.

So I thought it might be worth having a thread where we can post any interesting, but maybe not that interesting stories we come across. I suppose if they do start to generate a lot of discussion then we could ask the mods to split it out into their own thread.

So, for the first (and please God don't let it be the last) contribution, this story from the BBC:

US woman 'locked children in car boot' to go shopping

A woman has been arrested in the US after allegedly locking her children, aged two and five, in the boot of her car while she went shopping.
US media report that Tori Castillo, 39, is facing child abuse charges and the children are now with their father.
Onlookers in the car park instructed the five-year-old on how to open the boot from the inside, reports say.
Passersby had noticed the car shaking and noise coming from inside where it was parked outside a Walmart.
The incident happened on Thursday in Riverdale, Utah. It is not clear how long the children were in the boot.
I'd ask what she was thinking, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't!

Edit: And is anyone surprised it was outside a Wallmart?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh come on NajaB. Who hasn't done that? Joking honest
Good idea for a thread by the way.

TheNewNo2

The Bozeman Daily Chonicle: Police Reports for May 15, 2017

The Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office reports for Monday included the following:

A flock of geese was reportedly trying to cross Frontage Road at 7:22 a.m. The reporting caller thought someone should help them cross.
A Three Forks woman reported that a couple of kids rode through her garden on their bikes. She did catch one of the kids and talked to him.
A caller reported seeing two animals “stuck together.”

najaB

Veteran Member
Fish fingers are made of chicken and cheese grows on a plant, some children believe
Many of the nation's children believe fish fingers are made of chicken, cheese comes from plants and tomatoes grow underground, according to a new poll.

The survey suggests confusion among youngsters on where their food comes from and whether it counts as healthy and nutritious.

Nearly a third of five to seven-year-olds thought that cheese came from a plant, not an animal, while one in four older primary school pupils thought the same.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I honestly I just despair sometimes. We all know that cheese comes from bits that have broken off the moon.

backontrack

Established Member
Patrick Stewart drank champagne out of a shoe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...er-daniel-ricciardo-celebration-a7785381.html

The Independent said:
Sir Patrick Stewart enthusiastically joined Daniel Ricciardo in a 'shoey' celebration on the Formula 1 podium on Sunday, drinking champagne from the driver's boot with gusto.

The stunt has become Ricciardo's trademark celebration, and Stewart saw it a mile off.

"Oh my. I know what's coming. This is becoming a ritual!" the Shakespearean actor said, before adding: "I’d love some, yeah. Come on!"

Lifting the shoe to his lips, Sir Patrick drained it before declaring: "Bravo! Good vintage!"

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yahoo had the same story and the same photo, of a hedgehog with a disease that caused it to blow up to the size of a beachball, from at least three different papers. Apparently it was successfully deflated and treated and is now recovering.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yahoo had the same story and the same photo, of a hedgehog with a disease that caused it to blow up to the size of a beachball, from at least three different papers. Apparently it was successfully deflated and treated and is now recovering.

It sounds like it was quite lucky that it didn't meet another hedgehog.

DaleCooper

Established Member

It was only after deflating it that they realised it was actually a puffer fish.

Attachments

• Puffer Fish.jpg
    Puffer Fish.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 29

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm pretty sure the 11% of 14-16 year olds who 'thought fruit pastels were 1 of the 5 a day' were not taking the survey seriously rather than actually believing that
You would be surprised. One of my mates genuinely thought the Great Wall of China was in Germany, until I mentioned the Berlin Wall, and the, uh, China suffix.

Calthrop

Established Member
You would be surprised. One of my mates genuinely thought the Great Wall of China was in Germany, until I mentioned the Berlin Wall, and the, uh, China suffix.

At Dresden and / or Meissen, perhaps :) ?

Howardh

Established Member
If the Great Wall of China is in China, and the Berlin Wall was in/around Berlin, then shouldn't Hadrian's Wall be in Hadrian?

fowler9

Established Member

I worked with a girl who (Back in the day) thought the fax machine wasn't working because the paper came back out. Apologies, off subject.

fowler9

Established Member
Qatar are planning the worlds biggest ever airlift of cows to keep up milk production.

341o2

Established Member
One urban legend is the woman who sued the manufacturers of her microwave, because it "could do anthing an oven can do". She put the cat in her oven when it was cold and wet, but a microwave session ended its mortal life

I've also heard - tomatoes grow underground, eggs are clean and come in boxes and mangetout peas could cause your hair to fall out.

There also are tall tales told by country folk such as

"How does a fox rid itself of fleas? Well, it bites off a tuft of its fur and goes swimming. It gradually sinks lower and lower, the fleas climb higher and higher until only the tuft of fur is above water. Then it releases the tuft of fur,the fleas are washed away and drown"

"Chickens sometimes roost in trees to escape the fox. So it walks round and round the tree, the chickens follow it, eventually they become giddy and fall out"

fowler9

Established Member
A man has been jailed for 35 years in Thailand for insulting the Thai royal family on the internet.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A man has been jailed for 35 years in Thailand for insulting the Thai royal family on the internet.

35 years? :o
Ok here goes. Prince Andrew is an arse!
I'd better clear my diary for a bit then in case I get a knock on the door...

najaB

Veteran Member
Man jailed for 35 years in Thailand for insulting monarchy on Facebook
A Thai man has been jailed for 35 years for Facebook posts deemed insulting to the royal family, a watchdog said, in one of the harshest sentences handed down for a crime that insulates Thailand’s ultra-rich monarchy from criticism.

A Bangkok military court convicted him of 10 counts of lese-majesty for posting photos and videos of the royal family on a Facebook account that purported to belong to a different user.

Wichai, 34, whose last name was withheld to protect his relatives from ostracism, was accused of using the account to slander a former friend, said iLaw, a group that tracks royal defamation cases.

“The court punished him with seven years per count. Altogether he was given 70 years, but it was reduced in half because he confessed,” said Yingcheep Atchanont from iLaw.

fowler9

Established Member
35 years? :o
Ok here goes. Prince Andrew is an arse!
I'd better clear my diary for a bit then in case I get a knock on the door...

Ha ha, he was originally sentenced to 70 years but it was reduced because he admitted it!