• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "And in other news..." thread

Gloster

Established Member
John Wayne did it in a Ford Capri when chasing a Jag in Brannigan. Unfortunately the Capri hadn’t been run in...and never would be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Here's one from a few weeks ago, Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up has surpassed 1 billion views on youtube.
Rick Astley’s debut song, “Never Gonna Give You Up,” has reached more than a billion views on YouTube, a milestone that only a handful of pop songs have reached, such as Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” and Psy’s “Gangnam Style.”

“I am kind of a big deal,” said Astley of the achievement, leaving an appreciative comment on the YouTube video, stating: “Amazing, crazy, wonderful!”

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

johnnychips

Established Member
I heard on Radio 5 live today that elephants are the only animals that have four knees. Is this true?

John Hunt

Welcome to the asylum !
(must buy one of these as a Christmas gift........) :rolleyes:

Waiting for announcement from Apple concerning the iTalk (take a crystal and touch it with a wire connected to headphones.....)

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Apparently, 'Spoons have run out of beer.....because of Brexit!

Wetherspoon’s short on some beers as Brexit affects deliveries​

I assume that when they say "Brexit" what they actually mean is "years of cost-cutting and refusal to fund training of drivers or pay them a decent wage", but that doesn't roll off the tongue so well or allow the story to be condensed into a Tweet. :rolleyes:

341o2

Established Member
Due to his support for Marcus Rashford's support for vunerable children, Ladbroke's have quoted shorter odds for Basil Brush to become next PM than Matt Hancock Quote from the London Economic :-

Basil Brush’s latest foray into politics has landed him with better odds than Matt Hancock to become the next Prime Minister.

The glove puppet is priced at 33/1 at Ladbrokes to take over from Boris Johnson after he backed Marcus Rashford’s campaign to feed vulnerable children.

Declaring his dream of forming a government with the Manchester United star the cunning fox told the Daily Star: “All I can picture is Danny running the country and telling the Speaker to go and do one.”

High Dyke

Established Member
Turkey: 'Missing' man joins search party looking for himself

A missing man in Turkey accidentally joined his own search party for hours before realising he was the person they were looking for, local media reports.

341o2

Established Member
Drivers follow mortar tanker driver onto building site Source The Independant https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-motorists-follow-tanker-petrol-b1931106.html

Mr Anderson, from Harworth, in Nottinghamshire, was delivering the cement mixture to the David Wilson Homes development in Overstone on Thursday.

He was on the A43 when he first realised there was a build-up of traffic behind him.

“I noticed nobody was overtaking me and saw a string of about 20 cars,” he told the BBC. “When I eventually turned left into a road that would take me to the site entrance, all these cars turned left with me.”

As he stopped he was greeted by a chorus of car horns.

“The man at the front wound down his window and asked me which petrol station I was going to,” he said. “When I said I wasn’t, he asked me ‘Why not?’ and when I said I wasn’t carrying petrol, he actually said: ‘You could have stopped and told us you weren’t a petrol tanker.’

najaB

Veteran Member

Bus lane camera mistakes woman's sweater for number plate​

A couple were sent a fine for driving in a bus lane when a camera mistook a word on a woman's clothing for their number plate.
Dave and Paula Knight, from Surrey, received the fine for driving in a bus lane in Bath despite not being in the city at the time.
A camera had registered the word 'knitter' on a pedestrian's clothing as Mr Knight's number plate KN19 TER.
"We thought one of our friends was stitching us up," said Mrs Knight.
Bath and North East Somerset Council (BANES) confirmed the fine had been cancelled.

PTR 444

Established Member
This just made me chuckle

• A new sculpture of Tyson Fury, 33, will be unveiled in Morecambe, Lancashire
  • The work, by award-winning artist Anthony Padgett, has been called a 'joke'
  • It is fashioned out of brown plastic drainage pipes from a builders' merchants
A 'contemporary sculpture' of world heavy-weight boxing champion Tyson Fury, 33, made out of plastic drainpipes has already been mocked by residents in his hometown.

The work by award-winning artist Anthony Padgett, 52, is due to be erected in Morecambe, Lancashire this weekend.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I was prepared to defend the art, as sometimes interpretations of what the artist sees when they’re creating a piece of sculpture may take a moment to settle into the mind before you fully understand what’s being presented to you.

But then I looked at the picture and snorted my cup of tea down my nose… :lol:

Peter C

Established Member

The idea of it being made out of drainpipes reminds me of a line from a Victoria Wood sketch:
Later on in 'Whither the Arts?' we'll be visiting the Arnolfini Gallery in Bristol, and taking a look at their Sculpture 84 exhibition, the centre-piece of which is the controversial twenty-foot ironing board made entirely from Driving Test rejection certificates.

Not the same thing but just seems like a similarly-odd thing to make a sculpture from (but I expect it'll have been done countless times before)!

-Peter

Ediswan

Established Member

If it were me, I would have added a 15 degree double socket as an elbow to look like an almost straight arm, aligned to aim the punch up.

najaB

Veteran Member

MotCO

Established Member
"I slipped and fell in my armoury and an artillery shell accidentally entered part of my anatomy."

I think he would have been in trouble if they used the remote control bomb disposal device shown in the article!

brad465

Established Member