• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Bilingual Stations Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Here's a new quiz put together by [m=backontrack] 23881[/m].

Largely similar to the well established [thread=44910]Station Code Game[/thread], we've replaced the codes with Gaelic or Welsh station names from Welsh, Scottish or Irish stations (including the LUAS stations). Contestants guess the English equivalent name and post that prior to choosing another for others to guess! Only use Gaelic for Scottish stations, Welsh for Welsh stations, Irish for Irish stations and Kernewek for Cornwall stations. Remember that only stations in Wales, Scotland and Cornwall can be used. This means, for example, that Hereford is not permitted because it is in England and not Wales.

As always, the use of pre-printed lists of stations, books, the internet or suchlike is prohibited, the idea of the game is that you use your knowledge and make an educated guess!

An example:
Player One said:
Inbhir Nis
Player Two said:
Inverness
Abertawe

And it's from there that we commence...

Abertawe

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
This could be interesting. I admit that I'll have a distinct advantage on the Welsh ones, but others should give more of a challenge.

Abertawe is Swansea.

Next:

Morfa Mawddach

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Largely similar to the well established [thread=44910]Station Code Game[/thread], we've replaced the codes with Gaelic or Welsh station names from Welsh, Scottish or Irish stations. Contestants guess the English equivalent name and post that prior to choosing another for others to guess!

Just a point of clarification, please.

Do the Irish stations include those in Eire and Northern Ireland?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Paul, in response to your query, this is the intention.

Last edited by a moderator:

backontrack

Established Member
Was in known in English as Barmouth Junction?
Correct! Your floor...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wouldn't normally do this, but seeing as we've only just started, I'll try to revive the game.

Inbhir Pheofharain

krus_aragon

Established Member
I wouldn't normally do this, but seeing as we've only just started, I'll try to revive the game.

Inbhir Pheofharain

I'm not sure what needs reviving. Spamcan81 correctly answered the question I set two hours ago, and I gave him the floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
As always, the use of pre-printed lists of stations, books, the internet or suchlike is prohibited, the idea of the game is that you use your knowledge and make an educated guess!

I won't be taking part in this game -- my knowledge of the languages of our Celtic fringe being, regrettably, minimal. I am just curious, though. Is it generally reckoned throughout this board's "Quizzes & Games", that use of reference material -- in particular, the Internet -- is "bad form": you either have the gen already in your head, or think you might do, and make a blind stab at it?

In pub quizzes and similar doings purely in "meatspace", the above is obviously how things are: but my feeling is, that on a Net message board: insisting on, as above, "you either have the gen already...", is unreasonably restrictive and repressive, and drastically exclusive vis-a-vis many potential participants. Or am I being the weird one, here?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
On quizzes where you can look up source material with extreme ease, like this quiz or the Station Codes quiz, we feel that there is no challenge and therefore very little point if you simply look up the answer.

This is of course unenforceable and we leave it to your personal values and integrity to decide what you do.

If you have any concerns then the best place to raise them is by PM to a Quizmaster. :)

Calthrop

Established Member
On quizzes where you can look up source material with extreme ease, like this quiz or the Station Codes quiz, we feel that there is no challenge and therefore very little point if you simply look up the answer.

This is of course unenforceable and we leave it to your personal values and integrity to decide what you do.

If you have any concerns then the best place to raise them is by PM to a Quizmaster. :)

That's sense-making, and clear. Thanks.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Okay, going on the phonetics I'm going with Malahide.

In the event that this is correct I'll submit: Caerdydd Heol y Frenhines

backontrack

Established Member
Can people post the next station when they post the answer, even if they're not completely certain? Thanks.

Shimbleshanks
has the floor...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.