• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Clansman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furrball

At the start of 1990 the BFOs were in three of the four Super Pullman sets utilised on the Manchester Pullman, which were formed DVT-BFO-RFM-FO-FO-FO-RFM-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO.

Nice clip of this formation @ 2:37 here

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
Nice clip of this formation @ 2:37 here
Nice find. Interestingly the formation is slightly different to that I gave (from the RAIL magazine article), being DVT-BFO-FO-RFM-FO-FO-RFM-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO. That is probably more logical from a catering perspective because each kitchen in the first class section is covering two and half coaches. I also spotted, which might interest modellers of the period, that the RFM in the middle of the first class section has frosted windows along the passenger corridor, which is unusual. Even the kitchen side windows on the RFMs were usually clear glass.

I also spotted that in the same clip starting at 5:08 (which has a Class 81 hauling presumably an ECS set in from Wembley) the formation captured also has one of three BFOs in it, albeit this set is formed BFO-FO-FO-RFM-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO, which makes it one of the standard Pullman sets.

Furrball

Nice find. Interestingly the formation is slightly different to that I gave (from the RAIL magazine article), being DVT-BFO-FO-RFM-FO-FO-RFM-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO. That is probably more logical from a catering perspective because each kitchen in the first class section is covering two and half coaches. I also spotted, which might interest modellers of the period, that the RFM in the middle of the first class section has frosted windows along the passenger corridor, which is unusual. Even the kitchen side windows on the RFMs were usually clear glass.

I also spotted that in the same clip starting at 5:08 (which has a Class 81 hauling presumably an ECS set in from Wembley) the formation captured also has one of three BFOs in it, albeit this set is formed BFO-FO-FO-RFM-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO, which makes it one of the standard Pullman sets.
Original formation referenced seen here at 10:37 onwards?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Given the RFM were converted from 3 different Mk3 vehicle types, I seem to remember there were a number of slight variations between the vehicles.

Furrball

Drifting OT but @ 5:22 here seems to be a cracker with 3 catering vehicles in the consist!

80s & 90s consists could probably a thread in its own right

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Drifting OT but @ 5:22 here seems to be a cracker with 3 catering vehicles in the consist!

80s & 90s consists could probably a thread in its own right
Manchester Pullman, almost as per booked formation but with both a Mk1 RKB and RBR by the looks (was only booked the former), a Mk3A RSM (two prototype conversions existed at this point) in place of the booked RFB and then the booked 3 Mk3A TSO and Mk2F BSO on the rear. Nice mix of Mk1, 2 and 3s and a spot of blue/grey mixed with IC vehicles

Helvellyn

Established Member
Original formation referenced seen here at 10:37 onwards?

That appears to be the case. Another good find.

Given the RFM were converted from 3 different Mk3 vehicle types, I seem to remember there were a number of slight variations between the vehicles.
The ones converted from Mark 3A FOs retained full height windows on the corridor adjacent to the buffet/kitchen, so it rules it out being one of those. My hunch it's one of 10200-10211 that were converted from HST TRUKs because I've seen photos of those vehicles with frosted corridor windows adjacent to the kitchen.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My hunch it's one of 10200-10211 that were converted from HST TRUKs because I've seen photos of those vehicles with frosted corridor windows adjacent to the kitchen.
I would agree it looks like one of the TRUK conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.