• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Depot in Birmingham to be Redeveloped

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albion

Today is was reported in the Birmingham Mail that Digbeth Coach Station is to be redeveloped. In its place are to be built 2200 apartments.

*Mod note* Thread title changed as it is not Digbeth Coach Station that is to be redeveloped.

Please remember that if you're reporting news like this, you MUST include a link to the article and a relevant quotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
Sure it's not this?
A London-based developer has acquired land in Birmingham to create a new mixed-use commercial and residential scheme - its first outside of the South East.

Hub has bought the six-acre plot in Adderley Street, Digbeth, which currently houses a National Express bus garage.

The transport group will relocate out of the site once it has secured alternative space for the garage after which Hub will work up more detailed proposals and lodge a planning application with Birmingham City Council.

Hub said it wanted to build a large-scale scheme comprising creative workspace, residential, leisure and retail uses on the land which sits alongside the Grand Union Canal at the Bordesley Junction.

The site will be connected to the city centre and HS2 via the nearby 'Eastside' extension of the West Midlands Metro network which is due to open in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:

carlberry

Established Member
So the story actually is that National Express West Midlands have agreed the development plans for the central depot site they've been planing to move out of for several years, and not that the coach station that was only built 10 years ago is being built on! I suggest a change to the title of the thread might be in order!

DaveHarries

Established Member
Today is was reported in the Birmingham Mail that Digbeth Coach Station is to be redeveloped. In its place are to be built 2200 apartments.
Well there's a surprise :rolleyes:. Problem with modern architecture is that a good deal of it tends to be far from attractive.
Dave

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
So the story actually is that National Express West Midlands have agreed the development plans for the central depot site they've been planing to move out of for several years, and not that the coach station that was only built 10 years ago is being built on! I suggest a change to the title of the thread might be in order!
That's interesting considering Bordesley has just closed too

carlberry

Established Member
Same place basically and included in the sale. The article calls the area Digbeth then calls it Bordsley later on in the article.

Well there's a surprise :rolleyes:. Problem with modern architecture is that a good deal of it tends to be far from attractive.
Dave
The buildings it's replacing are not going to win any awards so, at best, it'll look a bit cleaner at least.

Grahamk748

Same place basically and included in the sale. The article calls the area Digbeth then calls it Bordsley later on in the article.

It’s not the same place. Bordsley depot is/was about a mile east of this, the other side of the football ground on Bordsley Green. I think it was also the offices there too.

Statto

Established Member

It’s not the same place. Bordsley depot is/was about a mile east of this, the other side of the football ground on Bordsley Green. I think it was also the offices there too.

The article is from the Birmingham Mail, so no wonder the journalism is questionable, typical of all Reach PLC sites[formerly Trinity Mirror], 99% of the articles are clickbait.

Mwanesh

Some reporters you would think they would check facts than peddle things like this.Thats a complete different place

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
The article is from the Birmingham Mail, so no wonder the journalism is questionable, typical of all Reach PLC sites[formerly Trinity Mirror], 99% of the articles are clickbait.

Some reporters you would think they would check facts than peddle things like this.Thats a complete different place
Whilst the quality of journalism has deteriorated rapidly across all newspaper sites, the error here appears to that of the OP. The article makes no mention at all of the coach station, and appears to me to describe the location fairly well, including a picture showing it’s full extent.

Sprinter107

The headline to the article in the Birmingham Mail does initially make you think its coach station up for re development. Whether that's intentional or not, I dont know. Its not until you read on, that you realise its the bus garage about half a mile away.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The headline to the article in the Birmingham Mail does initially make you think its coach station up for re development. Whether that's intentional or not, I dont know. Its not until you read on, that you realise its the bus garage about half a mile away.
That’s if you think National Express = coaches.

The headline says NX who run Birmingham’s buses in the main and at no point in the article does it allude to the coach station.

I’m all for hammering shoddy journalism but there’s nothing wrong about the article; the OP just made a mistake.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The headline simply states “Regeneration plans for National Express site”.
I‘d be interested to hear what part of that short statement makes you think that a coach station is up for redevelopment.
The first mention of the location states “Hub has bought the six-acre plot in Adderley Street, Digbeth, which currently houses a National Express bus garage.” Again no mention at all of the coach station, just an accurate description of the site in question.
As I said previously, I’m the first to decry the level of journalism so apparent nowadays, however it seems that some on this thread are seeing things that simply aren’t there!

Sprinter107

As you start reading, yes, it becomes apparent. But very many people will immediately link Digbeth and National Express to the coach station. Not everybody is a bus enthusiast, and not everybody realises there is a bus garage half a mile away.

Stan Drews

Established Member
As you start reading, yes, it becomes apparent. But very many people will immediately link Digbeth and National Express to the coach station. Not everybody is a bus enthusiast, and not everybody realises there is a bus garage half a mile away.
Anyone making that link isn’t the fault of the journalist.
I’m not local to the area, and didn’t realise they also had a bus garage in the Digbeth area, but reading the story and looking at the accompanying picture it is pretty clear it isn’t discussing the coach station.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Alternatively, if you’re in Birmingham, then you will recognise National Express as the local bus operator.

Certainly, don’t think that there’s much to criticise the journo for.

WM Bus

Alternatively, if you’re in Birmingham, then you will recognise National Express as the local bus operator.

Certainly, don’t think that there’s much to criticise the journo for.
Yes, only a few other small operators, who run less frequently as well.

Wander where they plan to move to? Would there be room for them on Drews Lane. Or will HS2 be taking up all of that all the way right back to Ward End Park.

Are there any other potential locations in Birmingham area as well?

Ridercross

Yes, only a few other small operators, who run less frequently as well.

Wander where they plan to move to? Would there be room for them on Drews Lane. Or will HS2 be taking up all of that all the way right back to Ward End Park.

Are there any other potential locations in Birmingham area as well?
As someone who works for NX bus, it's been made clear to us that BC depot will be replaced by two depots, one on South Birmingham, probably Longbridge area and another to the East, probably Chelmsley Wood area.

cnjb8

Established Member
As someone who works for NX bus, it's been made clear to us that BC depot will be replaced by two depots, one on South Birmingham, probably Longbridge area and another to the East, probably Chelmsley Wood area.
Weren't they going to build a new depot anyway to replace Pensnett or Perry Barr, I can't remember as it was a few years ago now

Ridercross

Weren't they going to build a new depot anyway to replace Pensnett or Perry Barr, I can't remember as it was a few years ago now
It' Perry Barr which is going to be replaced by a new depot on an adjacent site. The old garage has been acquired by the council, it was where the athlete's village for the Commonwealth Games was going to be, but now it will just go for housing.

317 forever

Established Member
Most traditional West Midlands Travel garages in Birmingham will have closed, other examples including Hockley, Lea Hall, Quinton and Washwood Heath. At this rate their might only be 2 long-term survivors, Acocks Green and Yardley Wood.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Most traditional West Midlands Travel garages in Birmingham will have closed, other examples including Hockley, Lea Hall, Quinton and Washwood Heath. At this rate their might only be 2 long-term survivors, Acocks Green and Yardley Wood.

It's perhaps not surprising given the large rates and utilities bills for the large depots. At least quite a few of those closed remain standing!

RT4038

Established Member
It's perhaps not surprising given the large rates and utilities bills for the large depots. At least quite a few of those closed remain standing!
And often Health & Safety type issues, in one way or another

Status
Not open for further replies.