• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The end of Modern Locomotives Illustrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Enclosed with my subscription copy, which I received today, was a note stating that this magazine will be ending with the Feb/Mar 2021 issue.

Sorry to see it go, but maybe it's run its course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
The end was nigh when they started rehashing older locomotive classes.

A real shame they didn't start covering the many many industrial locomotives produced over the years. Some very interesting types and variety which could have kept the series going for a few more years.

swanhill41

Colin Marsden went semi retired when Key Pub took over.

If I remember correctly he is heading for 70 years of age,so time to call it a day.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Given that Key have recently sold Railways Illustrated and Steam Days to Mortons (who already own/publish Heritage Railway, Railway Magazine and Rail Express), it would seem they are having a bit of a change of direction. They seem to be advertising quite a few new books, which are described as 96 pages softback, but I've yet to see if they are a proper book or what would often be described as a bookazine.

I do agree that the recent rehash/updates ('Class XX - The New Era') which had recently appeared showed, to me at least, that the series had run its course.

swanhill41

Key selling those two mags means they have cornered the market for rail magazines.

I feel there will be a slight tidy up of titles.Railways Illustrated title for closure ?

Ianigsy

Perhaps the format would lend itself to a yearbook-style approach for the next few years to cover new developments. Not only has nearly everything been covered but we're getting over a peak in fleet renewals.

Status
Not open for further replies.