• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future of ticketing: ITSO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
LNER will happily sell me an eticket for Brighton to Luton, a journey which can be wholly on Thameslink and a ticket which (should) have a Maltese cross.
LNER will, as you know, sell whatever the fare setting TOC has enabled as an eTicket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Not something we have control over, if GTR have updated the RCS data to allow that then that's up to them.
Yeah - that's my point. It's not your fault. Regardless of the media (ITSO, e-tickets, bog rolls, whatever) if there are rules set, then the data should be generated very carefully. Otherwise there will always be exceptions that disprove the rule. In this case you (or us, or indeed any TIS) is issuing an e-ticket that is less flexible than the equivalent paper ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thinking about it , I would term cross London a trip involving a Tube. Thameslink would come under a through London catagory a slight but significant difference.
It might be if the ticket wasn't routed as a cross-London journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It might be if the ticket wasn't routed as a cross-London journey.

The fix to that one would seem to me to be to create a set of "Not Underground" routed fares 10p cheaper than the +LONDON ones, so people who only intend to go via Thameslink can enjoy the convenience of an e-ticket if they want, but nobody is misled, and revenue loss would be negligible.

philthetube

Established Member
the biggest hit on revenue would be the time wasted at ticket offices explaining all this.

philthetube

Established Member
"It's 10p cheaper if you won't go on the Underground" doesn't seem unduly complicated to me compared with other things out there!
If you saw how long some people take deciding which ticket to buy to gatwick at Victoria you may reconsider :D

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The fix to that one would seem to me to be to create a set of "Not Underground" routed fares 10p cheaper than the +LONDON ones, so people who only intend to go via Thameslink can enjoy the convenience of an e-ticket if they want, but nobody is misled, and revenue loss would be negligible.

Just adds more complication though. Best to not issue e-tickets on cross London flows until the Underground accepts them.

I understand that you have to tap in to both validate the journey, and open the ticket gates, when using a smart ticket on ITSO. But why do you have to tap out ? I get it that you may have to open the gates at the gateline, but why bother to tap out if the gates are open, or there is no gateline. A TOC card does not need to calculate the fare, as it only holds journeys. Is this an anti- fraud measure ?

K.o.R

I understand that you have to tap in to both validate the journey, and open the ticket gates, when using a smart ticket on ITSO. But why do you have to tap out ? I get it that you may have to open the gates at the gateline, but why bother to tap out if the gates are open, or there is no gateline. A TOC card does not need to calculate the fare, as it only holds journeys. Is this an anti- fraud measure ?

Basically half of my smart ticket journeys have no tap-out because the station only has pedestal validators and the smart season doesn't work on them!

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Yes with flexible tickets it's an anti fraud measure. With seasons there's no need to tap inor out.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not something we have control over, if GTR have updated the RCS data to allow that then that's up to them.
Can you raise this as a problem at all and ask if they would mind looking in to it? Do you ever have industry get together, obviously now virtually, to discussing ticketing technology?

Joshua_Harman

sometimes there can be a problem with validation on future journeys if you no touch out properly, it's probably best to incase they ask any questions, because it says that you have to tap in and out on each journey, so perhaps they may get annoyed if you dont touch out?. it depends on the ticket type, if an uncompleted journey will affect you (PAYG¦or equivalent) then then you probably should but surely its just good practice anyway?

Basically half of my smart ticket journeys have no tap-out because the station only has pedestal validators and the smart season doesn't work on them!
half of my journeys have this even though i tap in and out! if i was to use oyster pay as you go instead of an ITSO Travelcard then i would be hit with fines galore
1612315116189.png
you can see from this how much of the data isnt recorded correctly, even tho i tap in and out whenever i travel..

Status
Not open for further replies.