• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great British Bash Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Extra points for full completion of the 08:21 Aberdeen to Penzance. Bonus bonus points if done in Standard. Bonus bonus bonus triple word score points if done in standard with no window. Bonus bonus bonus triple word score yahtzee if done all of the above and near a loo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Extra points for full completion of the 08:21 Aberdeen to Penzance. Bonus bonus points if done in Standard. Bonus bonus bonus triple word score points if done in standard with no window. Bonus bonus bonus triple word score yahtzee if done all of the above and near a loo.
Unless there is a problem with the 221 and an HST is on it!

You'd need all those bonus points, as you'd have to book yourself the next day off to recover...

4SRKT

Established Member
More than just one day to recover. In reality you'd probably never set foot on any train again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
4SRKT! My Lordz it's been a while since I last saw you posting!

I take it you've also had to endure GBBO? My lot were adament they weren't going to watch this one, as it's "gone too silly" and "fixed" apparently. That hasn't lasted long...

Would love to see your idea be televised! I can do 6 days on the rails, including food/drink, for £396.27 as I did just that very recently. Going for maximum mileage on that could get difficult after a while mind, and I was very much rancid by the end of it, having forgotten the existance of showers at Glasgow Central and London Euston!

4SRKT

Established Member
I've been off the Forum scene for quite a while. I've had a pretty 'interesting' year or so, and have had to get my head together in lots of ways. Back on the scene now and plenty of bashing still going on :)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I've been off the Forum scene for quite a while. I've had a pretty 'interesting' year or so, and have had to get my head together in lots of ways. Back on the scene now and plenty of bashing still going on :)

Hoping all's ok mate? Your absense had been noted - I feared youd got yourself banned or grown sick of it all. Hoping you and family are well and alls well at work.

Not the biggest telly person TBH but Id follow this with very great interest despite vowing I was done with realitty shows!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Extre bonus points for doing Mallaig to Glasgow then onto Stranrar and back all on Scotrails Heretage Low Back seats, some of the last on the network in this class I think?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Extre bonus points for doing Mallaig to Glasgow then onto Stranrar and back all on Scotrails Heretage Low Back seats, some of the last on the network in this class I think?
Yes indeed, as far as 156s are concerned; Scotrail are the only TOC still operating the units with the original Ashbourne seats.
Unless there is a problem with the 221 and an HST is on it!
Sadly, it doesn't seem likely :(: If an HST isn't available, then they'll substitute a Voyager, but if a Voyager isn't available (outside of the core of the network, where a crew might know 170s), then generally the service ends up cancelled! There's only a very limited number of HSTs, after all.
It has to be said that twelve or more hours in such a position will do nothing for either the individual involved or the viewing potential of the show. ;)

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sadly, it doesn't seem likely :(: If an HST isn't available, then they'll substitute a Voyager, but if a Voyager isn't available (outside of the core of the network, where a crew might know 170s), then generally the service ends up cancelled! There's only a very limited number of HSTs, after all.

It's a shame that that is reality. What you want is it to be the other way round!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
4SRKT:2257695 said:

Fair games, welcome back and glad to hear things are getting there again :)

cambsy

On Moderation
I would quite happily do Dundee to Penzance straight through on voyager, then some moves overnight to get back to Penzance, for Penzance to Dundee on straight through voyager,no window seat near loo both ways, then sleeper berth to London to keep within rancid levels then shower at Euston in morning, before carrying onwards and upwards. I would go for all possible bonus points however gnarly the unit etc, or festers in godforsaken places etc, obscure places and services happily covered, I am a total crank when in mood to be one. and was a hard core loco basher in the past, regulary heading to Scotland for 37's etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
To be fair, even the most hardcore of cranks would struggle to endure 13 hours and 23 minutes of Voyager haulage. I nearly did it once on my 2011 ALR, but woke up on the Tay Bridge behind 67006 on the Up Highland and decided enough was enough, I needed a break and couldn't stomach the idea of doing Aberdeen to Penzance in one go after all! Track coverage was a much better idea, especially so when I later found my last 170 for sight by sheer chance at long, long last!

Since track bashing is lower down the priority list these days, since I've done all bar a few PSUL moves and preserved railways, I would now consider doing it on an ALR (it wouldn't exactly be affordable otherwise!), but I would be wanting a rather big reward for surviving it upon arrival at Penzance! ;)

4SRKT

Established Member
Do Dundee > Newquay on a summer Saturday instead. At least that's a tram.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
True, much more civilised than a Voyager over that distance. Even so, you'd still be in for quite a journey as Newquay to Par is ridiculously dull!

4SRKT

Established Member
Would need to be done in FC to be tolerable. However this eats into the £500. Such are the dilemmas facing competitors on TGBBO!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very true, but Weekend First could be useful. I've done it in First before, quite a different universe to the Standard Class run on the way back!

Getting lots of cheap Advances via weird routes would be key!

4SRKT

Established Member
I did the 12:25 Plymouth > Glasgow HST throughout in second class last year. Even in an HST this was an endurance test too far for me!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I could easily do that on an HST! Maybe extra points for completing the Highland Chieftain all the way in Standard.

4SRKT

Established Member
I did it right enough, just to say I had basically. Was very glad to get out at Glasgow though.

Done the Chieftain throughout a few times, but always in First. Now that VTEC have abolished EC's excellent rewards points (and replaced it with worthless Nectar Points, grrrrr!) I doubt I'll do it again though ☹

Techniquest

Veteran Member
fishquinn:2261517 said:
I could easily do that on an HST! Maybe extra points for completing the Highland Chieftain all the way in Standard.

I did it in 2007 in Standard throughout, even then as a hardcore HST nutter I struggled to make it through!

I also did New Street to Glasgow in 2008 via Beighton Junction, reversal at Sheffield, Doncaster, Leeds and Dunbar before running via Carstairs. It was quite an endurance!

4SRKT

Established Member
An interesting twist. What would be the reasons for elimination? Too many Voyagers? Behaving like a complete vegetable in the vestibule of the Anglia 37s? Generally bringing the hobby into disrepute on national telly?

4SRKT

Established Member
Someone of my acquaintance this morning made a -7 off the Lowland Sleeper at Euston into the 07:00 Kings Cross > Edinburgh. This obviously includes the walk along Euston Road. While in practice the sleeper often arrives early, this isn't something that can be banked on, and his planned move was the 07:00; it wasn't just a fluke that he caught it.

Obviously this is the sort of institutional Man of Steel behaviour that will be richly rewarded in TGBBashO. So much so that we can treat his attempts to claim more points because he was drinking the free sleeper coffee as he walked along Euston Road (allegedly making walking marginally slower) with the contempt they deserve!

This person will definitely be a candidate for the first series of TGBBashO!

Last edited:

crehld

Established Member
Someone of my acquaintance this morning made a -7 off the Lowland Sleeper at Euston into the 07:00 Kings Cross > Edinburgh. This obviously includes the walk along Euston Road. While in practice the sleeper often arrives early, this isn't something that can be banked on, and his planned move was the 07:00; it wasn't just a fluke that he caught it.

Obviously this is the sort of institutional Man of Steel behaviour that will be richly rewarded in TGBBashO. So much so that we can treat his attempts to claim more points because he was drinking the free sleeper coffee as he walked along Euston Road (allegedly making walking marginally slower) with the contempt they deserve!

This person will definitely be a candidate for the first series of TGBBashO!

An incredibly ballsy move given the sleeper's recent performance!

4SRKT

Established Member
Indeed. Hence the generous reward that would be forthcoming!

This is exactly the sort of risky behaviour that makes for good telly IMHO. If it were a few minutes later the footage of him legging it down Euston Road, coffee flying everywhere, would be priceless.

crehld

Established Member
Someone on the trip reports section recently did a productive day out on a Thames Valley Branches day ranger while FGW were on strike! That has to be worth something.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
crispy1978:2262659 said:
Could turn this in to a "game" with judges to decide on contestants eliminated!

That reminds me of Wipeout Fusion on the PS2, although also of Wipeout 2097 which it could be argued was better:

"Contender...ELIMINATED!"

*Has to be done in a fairly deep voice to sound right*

As for the -7 off the Cally Insomnie, if true that was incredibly lucky! My best is a -63 (might have been booked -62/61, not quite sure 10 years on!) onto an HST at Newport whilst coming down from Hereford. Obviously major issues that morning helped!

The -7 wasn't *that* lucky.... It had been researched beforehand and estimated to be at least a 2/3 chance of making.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.