• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Hastings line when I was young(er)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

Being only 15, I can just about remember the old slam door trains in the South East but I was wondering if anyone could help with what I can (sort of) recall.

1) At Tunbridge Wells, I seem to remember Southern Services going from there. Where did they go, when and why did they stop running? (I think they stopped before the 4tph SE service to Tunbridge Wells)

2) I also remember that the sidings to the east of Tonbridge which now are home to a family of MPVs and a couple of other things used to have Colas Rail locos or OTM stored there. How long was that for and what was there before that?

3) What sort of stock operated the Hastings and Redhill lines around 2003? What sort of rolling stock and which companies (Had the Southern/Connex South Central operations reached that far yet?

4)Lastly, what was/is Tonbridge West Yard used for?

Any information would be really great.

Thanks

Joe:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

The South Central/Southern services you saw at Tunbridge Wells, were a joint Southern/SouthEastern service from Tunbridge Wells to Horsham via Redhill and Gatwick. Southeastern already had a service that used to run from Tunbridge Wells to London Bridge via Redhill and East Croydon, but that ceased back in December 2008 when Southern took over the running of the Redhill-Tonbridge Line.

Rolling stock wise, you would of seen Class 508s at Tunbridge Wells (they also operated the Medway Valley Line, and the Sheerness branch), Class 375 Electrostars were starting to make their presense felt, plus there were lots of slam door units around, particularly CIG and CEP units! The Tunbridge Wells-Horsham service usually used a South Central CIG unit, with a Southeastern crew between Tunbridge Wells and Redhill, where a South Central/Southern crew took over for the run to Horsham.

Tonbridge West Yard is used for stabling units (in the Jubilee Carriage sidings), plus its also a freight yard too. GB Railfreight often stable locos there.

Status
Not open for further replies.