• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'The Here, There and Everywhere Trains- Yet Again!' -Pathfinder Tours 30-31/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member

This tour refers to a series of mini-tours covering parts of South/Western England and South Wales from Friday afternoon on 30/7, Friday afternoon, night and Saturday daytime.

The advertised traction has recently changed from Colas 37's to DRS 37's, which is perhaps controversial due to recent performance issues on other tours with DRS class 37's. It doesn't personally bother me however as I've had Colas 37's before and the DRS ones are likely to be winners.

I'll be on this tour for the Friday night jaunt into South Wales to cover some new lines in a more comfortable way than commuter DMU's, it will also be my first night railtour so I'm intrigued to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks for posting this @Iskra - turns out the "Cotswold Canter" one is coming up the Cotswold Line, so I'll definitely try and see that. :D

-Peter

The exile

Established Member

This tour refers to a series of mini-tours covering parts of South/Western England and South Wales from Friday afternoon on 30/7, Friday afternoon, night and Saturday daytime.

The advertised traction has recently changed from Colas 37's to DRS 37's, which is perhaps controversial due to recent performance issues on other tours with DRS class 37's. It doesn't personally bother me however as I've had Colas 37's before and the DRS ones are likely to be winners.

I'll be on this tour for the Friday night jaunt into South Wales to cover some new lines in a more comfortable way than commuter DMU's, it will also be my first night railtour so I'm intrigued to see how it goes.
Rather too many 37/4s with DRS for my liking - hope they don't turn up!

Iskra

Established Member
Rather too many 37/4s with DRS for my liking - hope they don't turn up!
They will be needed for train heating overnight won’t they? So they are the most likely variety to feature

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
In July?! Surely bashers are made of sterner stuff than that….
Forecast 13 degrees here in Sheffield that night, not cold but it’s not warm either

Thanks for posting this @Iskra - turns out the "Cotswold Canter" one is coming up the Cotswold Line, so I'll definitely try and see that. :D

-Peter
If not you’ll probably hear it at least :D

It’s my first tour since the pandemic so it’s something I’m very much looking forward to at the moment :)

Update: Unfortunately, the Cardiff Bay Line has been withdrawn from the overnight tour due to TFW stock being stabled upon in that night.

Slightly disappointing, but it's an easy one to cover in the future and I'm still excited for what it my first tour in such a long time!

Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
They will be needed for train heating overnight won’t they? So they are the most likely variety to feature
A 37/4 won't be able to provide ETS unless there are only a few coaches. Would need a generator van for usual railtour loadings, load 10 etc.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A 37/4 won't be able to provide ETS unless there are only a few coaches. Would need a generator van for usual railtour loadings, load 10 etc.
A 37/4 should be able to manage providing ETS to 8 Mark 1 coaches, which is what postings elsewhere indicate the formation to be.

43 302

Established Member
A 37/4 should be able to manage providing ETS to 8 Mark 1 coaches, which is what postings elsewhere indicate the formation to be.
In that case at least one 37/4 seems likely. Got fingers crossed for 37218/259 of course.

Iskra

Established Member
The overnight portion will be run top and tailed, so it’s possible they could split the rake down the middle with each 37 providing half of the ETS.

43 302

Established Member
The overnight portion will be run top and tailed, so it’s possible they could split the rake down the middle with each 37 providing half of the ETS.
That wouldn't work for the double headed sections though.

The exile

Established Member
Have to say that in the days when I was a regular railtourer, I always booked ( and dressed) on the assumption that heat would be an unexpected bonus! Can remember the odd December tour that lived down to expectations!

Iskra

Established Member
That wouldn't work for the double headed sections though.
Heating is a lot less important on those sections though.

Have to say that in the days when I was a regular railtourer, I always booked ( and dressed) on the assumption that heat would be an unexpected bonus! Can remember the odd December tour that lived down to expectations!
I always prepare to be flexible regarding temperature. I remember one tour; The Diamond Twenties where temperatures started around freezing in the Birmingham area in the morning, then it was 25 and sunny during the day in the London and South east area, before temperatures plummeted again in the evening. Also, Mk1 heating seems to be either 'on' or 'off,' with nothing inbetween so they often end up freezing or boiling.

43 302

Established Member
Heating is a lot less important on those sections though.
I wouldn't disagree, but in 2021 I would like to expect a railtour would at least aim to provide train supply for the entire tour!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, cancelled for this weekend, due to DB Cargo being unable to provide traincrew.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4266926656679750&id=367976736574781

CANCELLED: The Here There and Everywhere - Yet Again!
We are devastated to announce that the railtour on 30/31 July 2021 is now cancelled. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will refund all passengers shortly. We will endeavour to run a similar excursion in the 2022 programme. Thank you for continued support and understanding during these difficult times.
Please see the official statement from DB Cargo UK below:

Official statement from DB Cargo UK - 26.07.2021:
CANCELLATION OF PATHFINDER RAILTOURS’ CHARTER SERVICE
"Due to an increase in the number of colleagues either off ill or self-isolating due to Covid-19, it is with regret that DB Cargo UK has had to cancel a planned two-day charter service due to run this coming weekend.
"This is not a decision we have taken lightly and we would like to apologise sincerely for the disappointment and disruption caused to Pathfinder Railtours’ passengers. We will work with Pathfinder to rearrange the planned charter as soon as is practicably possible."

Iskra

Established Member
Argh. That’s a bit annoying as I’d booked to do the overnight leg and then continue covering track in the area from Bristol Parkway the next day. I will have to see what I can salvage from the situation.

On the bright side; hopefully the originally planned itinerary can be delivered on the new date.

The exile

Established Member
Argh. That’s a bit annoying as I’d booked to do the overnight leg and then continue covering track in the area from Bristol Parkway the next day. I will have to see what I can salvage from the situation.

On the bright side; hopefully the originally planned itinerary can be delivered on the new date.
With a bonus trip round via St Philips Marsh now it’s been cleared for use by passenger trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.