• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The International Transport Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Welcome to 'The International Transport Game'

Gameplay

The aim of the game is to travel around the world using public transport in a pseudo-realistic fashion. To play, you must depart from the station or stop where the previous post arrived using a permitted timetabled public transport service. Having arrived at the destination, the minimum connection time for the station or stop must be allowed for. Unless you can show otherwise this is taken to be 5 minutes for changing onto/between buses, trains, trams and similar. When changing onto/between flights, ferries and similar 30 minutes should be allowed.

An Example:

We arrive at Aeroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV from Lille Europe at 1353. We can then take any train or bus after 1358 and any flight from the airport after 1423. The choice is the players as to which they wish to do.

In your post you should clearly state the time your service departs, the company who's service you are using, the service number (if available) and the time and day of arrival at your chosen destination. You must also state the source of your information (for instance the journey planner or website used) and if possible provide a link.

Example post:

We then take Train 2 'Rossiya' from Moscow Yaroslavski station departing at 2345 on Saturday and arriving in Beijing main station at 0546 one week later on Saturday morning. Source here

Additional Notes

• If arriving by bus or coach then you should name the area in addition to the stop name.
  • If a move is discovered to be incorrect then the original post should be struck through and the correction made as a new post.
  • Should the previous move leave you at a the end of a route for which there are no services timetabled to depart from then you may walk to the nearest stop where services are available.
  • So the game remains realistic, you should use the current timetable for the relevant day not including timetable variations for engineering works.

Rules
  • You may not re-board the service just used in the previous post.
  • You should use the first available service to reach your destination after allowing for the minimum interchange time.
  • You shouldn't wait for more than three hours after the first available service (to any destination) has left, after allowing for the minimum interchange time.
  • You may walk up to about half a mile (or one kilometre) when changing modes to a stop in the vicinity, if you wish.
  • The use of cars and taxis is not allowed, nor is the use of general aviation, chartered watercraft or suchlike.
  • Departure time should be given in the local time from where you've departed and the arrival time should be in the local time for where you've arrived (i.e. if you leave Heathrow for Moscow your departure time would be whatever the time in London was when you left and the arrival time would be whatever the time in Moscow was when you arrived).
  • The playing area includes the whole world. Great Britain is prohibited except for interchange purposes at airports, ferry terminals or similar (i.e. you could fly into Heathrow from Paris and fly back out again to Berlin but couldn't travel to another airport within GB or use any other domestic transport links).

Game Play Etiquette

We do not have any one appointed person(s) who have a role to police the rules of the game, instead we leave this down to community judgement.

This game is new and fairly untested so we are relying on the community to be sensible in both the moves made and also the interpretation of the rules. Once we're outside of Western Europe it's going to be a lot harder to find usable timetables for transport. So giving people the benefit of the doubt and bending the rules is probably going to be important. At least until the game finds its feet.

When posting moves, please do endeavour that they are realistic, whilst complying with the set rules at the same time. For example, it wouldn't be reasonable nor realistic, for someone to post a move which involves waiting at Berlin Hauptbahnhof for two hours; there are a huge number of trains and other transport options there.

You do not need to worry about time taken to pass through customs, boarder control or airport security. For the purposes of this game there is free travel between every country and no need for security so these will not need to be accounted for in your moves.

It comes down to the community to point out any rule breaches, however this shouldn't hold up game play and it may not be necessary to return to the previous post. In any case where a problem can not be resolved mutually, the Forum Staff including the Quizmaster Team have the powers to make an adjudication, their decision being final.

Enjoy playing.

To start us off:

After many years of travelling hither and yon around Great Britain we find ourselves on a rainy Monday morning at Heathrow looking at the huge list of departures to many exotic locations around the world. We've dreamt for so long of departing for a new adventure but whenever we tried Inspectors Class172, ainsworth74, OxtedL and transportphoto have stood in our path preventing our exit.

Not seeing them nearby we decide to chance it!

Rushing to the British Airways desk we quickly buy a ticket and dash for security and once through that we continue to hurry our way to our departure gate. We jump on board our flight and as it powers down the runway we see in the distance a 'RailUK Quiz Inspector' car chasing after us but, thankfully, they are too late and our A320 soars into the sky and we are free at last from the Inspectors.

We then look down at our ticket and see that we're travelling on the 0830 British Airways flight BA0548 to Rome Fiumicino airport where we are due to arrive at 1200 on Monday afternoon. (Source: BA Flight Planner)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

It actually happened! :D

We exit the plane, and head to the railway station to board the 1227 Roma Servizi per la Mobilità s.r.l. service to Roma Trastevere, arriving at 1254 Monday afternoon.

Source: Google
What are transfer times between ferries/planes and buses and other ground-based transport?

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
:D In the native language of our first foreign country, grazie mille!!! (Well, second country, but let's not count the ill fated trip to Paris where we first encountered "The Inspector"!).

And our first stop takes us to one of my favourite cities in the world, Roma!

We travel through the ancient city of Roma on a modern tram, namely the the number 8 service operated by ATAC SpA. We travel a piedi per 150 metri (by foot for 150m) to the adjacent tram stop, and our first Continental tram pulls in at 13:01. We take it through the beautiful Trastevere neighbourhood of Rome and over the Fiume Tevere to its terminus at the amazing Piazza Venezia, arriving at 13:17 on Monday afternoon.

Sources: Viaggia con Atac journey planner, Google
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What are transfer times between ferries/planes and buses and other ground-based transport?
When changing onto/between flights, ferries and similar 30 minutes should be allowed.

Think that answers the question, although I would suggest that booked/advertised connections be honoured where the time is less than 30 minutes? To take a UK example, a connection on Calmac's website says that you can arrive in Oban at 14:30 on a ferry from Castlebay/Lochboisdale, and catch a 14:41 train to Glasgow.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
We make our way through the busy, loud, unfriendly environment that is Roma Termini, keeping a close eye on our personal belongings as we do so. We decide to explore more of Bella Italia (now that we're not confined to just the restaurant chain), and board the 14:00 Frecciarossa train number 9634 to Milano Centrale, Italia, arriving at 16:55 on Monday evening.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I would suggest that booked/advertised connections be honoured where the time is less than 30 minutes?
I think that in general if your conscience thinks it is reasonable then no-one would have real grounds to complain. :)

me123

Established Member
We continue our high-speed exploration of Italy by boarding the 1729 Trenord D002 service to the border town of Domodossola, arriving at 1906 Monday evening.

We decide to head back towards an airport, getting the 19:35 (unnumbered) Comazzibus service from outside the station. It takes us to Malpensa Aeroporto, terminal 1, arriving at 20:50 on Monday evening.

Source: Timetable

me123

Established Member
Onto our first Asian bus, the Mowasalat 74701 bus service leaving from the bus terminal at 06:16. It gets into Doha, Al Ghanim Bus Station at 06:46 on Tuesday morning.

Source: Timetable (downloaded from this link)

dzug2

We return on the Mowasalat 56 bus that departs at 0805 to the Doha Al Ghanim bus station , arriving at 0851 Tuesday morning. We have a selection of other bus routes to try or can return to the airport

Source: links in ME123's post

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
We decide to continue exploring the country, boarding a Mowasalat 1043 bus service at 09:30 to the industrial city of Dukhan, alighting at Dukhan Petrol Station, Qatar at 11:40 on Tuesday morning.

Link from above site.

dzug2

That does seem a long suburban ride

We return on the Mowasalat 104 bus at 1230, getting off at Rayyan Castle at 1337 Tuesday afternoon

Same link. I wonder if it's really a castle?

Edit - does a search - yes it is

Last edited:

bnsf734

Didn't take long to get beaten....

After "lunch" at the McDonalds Drive Thru we take the 137 Mowasalat service departing at 1330 and arrive at Khalifa Stadium, arriving there at 1519 on Tuesday afternoon.

Lets try again..

We have time to walk to the stop at Rayyan QNB by the other wall of the castle and catch the Mowasalat service 42 departing at 1413 and alight at Al Ghanim Bus Station where we arrive at 1452 on Tuesday afternoon.

Source mowasalat timetables in Me123's post.

Last edited:

dzug2

We decide to return to the new Doha airport, taking the 1505 Mowasalat 74701 (aka 747X) bus and arriving at 1535 Tuesday afternoon

me123

Established Member
I think taking to the skies is a good idea - I'm finding it more and more difficult to find some of these bus stops! :lol:

We enter the airport and after passing through security, we decide to continue our tour of the Middle East by catching the 17:00 FlyDubai flight FZ 10 which, unsurprisingly, takes us to Dubai International Airport (DXB), United Arab Emirates. We touch down in Terminal 2 at 19:05 local time on Tuesday evening.

EDIT: Forgot my source - FlightStats

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
It's a short four minute walk to the nearby Deira City Centre Bus Station, where we board the E307 bus at 20:05. We take the bus the full length of its journey to Sharjah, Al Jubail Bus Station, UAE arriving at 21:05 on Tuesday evening.

EDIT: I keep forgetting to put the source in :oops: Same as above, from the Dubai RTA Journey planner.

BNSF, You didn't just correct the arrival terminal, you changed our destination entirely! It's now a nine minute walk which makes my move above invalid.
We now get the 20:03 RTA route 33 bus to Qusais, Bus Station, UAE. We arrive at 20:58 on Tuesday evening.

Source: Dubai RTA Journey planner

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Think that answers the question, although I would suggest that booked/advertised connections be honoured where the time is less than 30 minutes? To take a UK example, a connection on Calmac's website says that you can arrive in Oban at 14:30 on a ferry from Castlebay/Lochboisdale, and catch a 14:41 train to Glasgow.

Just to add to what OxtedL said the intention of the rule is that if an operator specifies a specific connection time use that otherwise default to what we've suggested. So in the case of your Oban example that would be fine as Calmac say you can do it. If Calmac didn't then you'd have to use our minimum of 30 minutes.

bnsf734

It's a short four minute walk to the nearby Deira City Centre Bus Station, where we board the E307 bus at 20:05. We take the bus the full length of its journey to Sharjah, Al Jubail Bus Station, UAE arriving at 21:05 on Tuesday evening.

EDIT: I keep forgetting to put the source in :oops: Same as above, from the Dubai RTA Journey planner.

BNSF, You didn't just correct the arrival terminal, you changed our destination entirely! It's now a nine minute walk which makes my move above invalid.
We now get the 20:03 RTA route 33 bus to Qusais, Bus Station, UAE. We arrive at 20:58 on Tuesday evening.

Source: Dubai RTA Journey planner

Apologies for the confusion. I thought the Metro served all terminals but after posting the journey I discovered that Terminal 2 was on the other side of the airport with no Metro, so had to replan the journey. The journey planner took a bit of getting used to!

We walk to Naif Intersection and take the 2227 RTA 27 bus to Dubai Mall where we arrive at 2307 on Tuesday evening.

Source: Dubai RTA Journey planner from above posts.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
It's too late to take a class, and the Student Union is a bit of a let down, so we get back on a bus, this time choosing the 00:32 RTA service to Deira City Center Bus Station, arriving there at 00:38 on Wednesday morning.

Source: Dubai RTA Journey Planner (see above)

Last edited:

DasLunatic

Deciding to leave the Middle East behind, we board the 0045 RTA-operated C1 bus to Dubai, Airport Terminal 3 arriving at 0100 Wednesday morning.

There's a lot of buses in Dubai...

(Source: Google)

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We then board the 0250 Emirates flight 203 to New York (John F Kennedy Airport), arriving there at 0850 on Wednesday morning.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
From Jamaica Station we use the Long Island Railroad to travel to Pennsylvania station, Manhattan. There's a train at 10.00, arriving 10.19, according to this timetable. (Weds am)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We then board the 0250 Emirates flight 203 to New York (John F Kennedy Airport), arriving there at 0850 on Wednesday morning.

Remember to cite a source, simply saying Emirates journey planner (assuming that's what you used) would be fine ;)

No need to revise the move just something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.