• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The International Transport Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
Unfortunately Perth seems to run public transport into the early hours on Saturday night, so we might have to do a lot of faffing about before our prospective departure on Sunday morning.

From Perth Underground station, we walk 800m (10 mins) to the Elizabeth Quay bus station.
We take the 2145 Transperth route 910 bus to Fremantle Railway Station arriving at 2228 Saturday evening.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Journey-Planner

johnnychips

Established Member
Last train back I think!
We take the 0059 train from Mandurah back to Perth Underground arriving at 0150 on Sunday morning.

Source as above

Springs Branch

Established Member
The Transperth journey planner says it's a 4 min walk from Perth Underground to the main Perth suburban station.
That's plenty of time to catch the 0215 Armadale Line train to Armadale arriving at 0254 Sunday morning.

Source: as previously

johnnychips

Established Member
That seems to be it for the night, so we take the Armadale Line 0526 service back to Perth Station arriving 0601 on Sunday morning.

Source as above.

johnnychips

Established Member
Not able to post a move at this time but if any casual readers wonder why we are faffing about Perth, Australia a lot at the moment, we’re lining up a ride on a certain record breaking train that only runs once a week!

johnnychips

Established Member
We take the 0730 Fremantle Line train back to Perth Station arriving at 0758 on Sunday Morning.

And boarding starts at 0900 at East Perth!

Source as above.

Springs Branch

Established Member
We've done Perth's suburban trains to death now, so we exit Perth Station onto Wellington Street.
Here we catch the next departure of Transperth's bus route 48, leaving at 0843 and alighting at East Perth, Lord St/Marlborough St at 0851 Sunday morning.
This stop is 350m or 5 mins walk from East Perth Station, if that's of any relevance.

Source: as before

Springs Branch

Established Member
We leave the Adelaide Parklands terminal with a plan to sample Adelaide's O-Bahn Guided Busway.
We walk from rail terminal to Bus Stop 1 on nearby Anzac Highway.
Here we catch an Adelaide Metro bus M44 at 0740 travelling via the city centre, then the O-Bahn to Tea Tree Plaza Interchange arriving at 0813 Tuesday morning.

(The Indian-Pacific resumes its ‎4,352 km journey to Sydney on Tuesday morning at 1015)

Source: www.adelaidemetro.com.au

Springs Branch

Established Member
Would that be considered the same train?
Possibly a grey area, but considering the Indian-Pacific changes Train Number (from 1PA8 to 3AS8), reverses direction, changes locos and has carriages shunted on and off during its layover in Adelaide I'd say it is a candidate for an onward journey - if any player can find the way back from Tea Tree Plaza to the Adelaide Parklands Terminal in time.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
We'll take a 2 minute walk to Zone D of the Tea Tree Plaza Interchange and join the 0833 Adelaide Metro Service 546X to Grenfell Street, Stop U1 arriving there at 0854 on Tuesday morning.

Springs Branch

Established Member
We walk 220m to Stop V2 on Currie Street. Here we catch the 0914 J1X bus to Adelaide Airport (bus stop 10) arriving at 0937 Tuesday morning.
Source : www.adelaidemetro.com.au

A rare opportunity to travel on a double-deck city bus in Australia:-
aTT_1790_CDi_JetExpress_AdelaideAirport_%2810_11_14_G%29.jpg

Image source: http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-11028

straller

We then board the Air New Zealand flight NZ0792 to Auckland Airport, departing Adelaide at 11:45 and arriving in AKL at 18:30 Tuesday evening. Source: Air New Zealand flight planner

DanTrain

Here, we choose to head to one of the most southerly cities in the world, boarding the 21:00 Air New Zealand flight NZ0575 to Christchurch Airport, arriving at 22:25 Tuesday evening. Source Air New Zealand flight planner.

I hope I've done this right, please correct me if there's a problem! Now it should be ok!

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
I hope I've done this right, please correct me if there's a problem!
Hmm - looks like that move involves two separate flights and an overnight stay in Christchurch - NZ0575 from Auckland terminates in Christchurch at 22.25 Tue, and this is where we should start the next trip.

So let's do the 06.20 Christchurch to Invercargill on NZ 5701 arriving at 07.45 Wednesday morning - so as we were, way way down south :)

Source: Air New Zealand planner

DanTrain

Hmm - looks like that move involves two separate flights and an overnight stay in Christchurch - NZ0575 from Auckland terminates in Christchurch at 22.25 Tue, and this is where we should start the next trip.

So let's do the 06.20 Christchurch to Invercargill on NZ 5701 arriving at 07.45 Wednesday morning - so as we were, way way down south :)

Source: Air New Zealand planner
Ha, I knew they'd be a problem :lol:, thanks! I've edited it to the Christchurch flight now.

Booking ahead here, we've booked ourselves onto the Catch a Bus service, requesing one to come up to the airport. As much as I'd love to head even further south to Bluff, I don't understand the timetable, so instead we collect out baggage, exit the airport and, allowing time to be there 30 mins before the time to leave, we wait to board the 11:00 (ish) Catch-a-Bus service to Balclutha (somewhere along Clyde Street), arriving at 13:25 on Wednesday afternoon.

Source: https://www.catchabussouth.co.nz/times.html

Springs Branch

Established Member
It would be a shame to travel to this part of New Zealand without visiting the spectacular Fiordland National Park.

After a leisurely lunch we proceed to Charles St, Balclutha and catch the 15:05 InterCity bus IC8205 to its terminus at Miro Street, Te Anau, arriving 18:30 Wednesday evening.

Source: https://www.intercity.co.nz/travel-info/timetable/lookup/8205

Last edited:

DanTrain

Taking the night here to explore this wonderful town, we then have a leisurely morning (first bus is 08:00, so 09:40 seems reasonable to be able to head up to Milford Sound), before boarding the 09:40 InterCity GrayLine bus service GL9722 to Milford Sound (Front Entrance of Visitors Centre, Milford Wharf), arriving at 12:40 Thursday afternoon. Prepare for a very pleasant few hours gawping at the scenery here :).

Source: https://www.intercity.co.nz/travel-info/timetable/lookup/9722

Springs Branch

Established Member
We've arrived at probably the most spectacular location ever visited by public transport in the International Transport Game

Milford Sound, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
by Brian Powers, on Flickr shared under this licence.

The Milford Sound settlement is a small place and Google Maps says the walk from the wharf to Milford Sound Airport (MFN) is 1km - by luck, the limit of walking distance allowed in the game rules.

Having enjoyed the mountain views, we're in time to catch the 15:00 Air Milford flight, landing at Queenstown International Airport (ZQN) at 15:35 Thursday.

Source: https://www.airmilford.co.nz/milford-sound-flights/milford-sound-fly-back.html

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
I was considering Wellington next, but both the trolleybuses and the classic English Electric 1930s-design EMUs are no longer there. So....

A quick transfer at Auckland to an Air New Zealand international departure, the 19:45 NZ008 to San Francisco arriving at 12:55 Thursday afternoon.
Note we have crossed the International Date Line in mid-Pacific and have indeed landed before we took off.

Source: Air New Zealand journey planner.

DanTrain

Status
Not open for further replies.