• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Lancastrian (1957-62)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil Bear

Morning,

I'm trying to discover the history of THE LANCASTRIAN, which ran from Manchester to London during the specified timeframe.

Specifically I'm looking for information on its history involving the Churnet Valley Line. We have reports that on occasions the Colne portion was delayed in reaching Stockport, the coaches would be sent on their own to London non-stop travelling via the CVL.

Is anyone able to give further details? I found the following thread, which has helped with the timetables but we'd love some further details if possible. Plus if anyone knows of any pictures that too would be lovely.

Thanks in Advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Unless the route through Stoke was closed by engineering work, I can't imagine the Churnet Valley being used by Euston services at all - was that the case (eg when the new Harecastle Tunnel was being built)?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Unless the route through Stoke was closed by engineering work, I can't imagine the Churnet Valley being used by Euston services at all - was that the case (eg when the new Harecastle Tunnel was being built)?
The only period when I can envisage use of the Churnet Valley line is when some WCML Manchester - London services were being diverted to St. Pancras during WCML electrification works. Whilst some ran via Matlock & Derby, there were a few via Macclesfield & Stoke, diverting to the MML. Subject to route knowledge by the train crews, diversions after Macclesfield via Rudyard Lake & Leek might have been feasible if the Stoke route was also affected by engineering work.

mailbyrail

Nothing immediately hits me from the book 'The Churnet Valley Railway' by Basil Jeuda from 1999.
I'll take a detailed look and see if there's any mention in passing.

chorleyjeff

Morning,

I'm trying to discover the history of THE LANCASTRIAN, which ran from Manchester to London during the specified timeframe.

Specifically I'm looking for information on its history involving the Churnet Valley Line. We have reports that on occasions the Colne portion was delayed in reaching Stockport, the coaches would be sent on their own to London non-stop travelling via the CVL.

Is anyone able to give further details? I found the following thread, which has helped with the timetables but we'd love some further details if possible. Plus if anyone knows of any pictures that too would be lovely.

Thanks in Advance

Travelled Manchester to Bolton ( changed there for Preston ) one cold winter night in late 1950s. Crab loco, carriage with no lights or heating - good old BR. Goodness how long it took to get from London to Colne.

mailbyrail

The only references I can see to any passenger traffic from Lancashire over the line in Jeuda's book are as follows below. They confirm that between the wars there were services from East Lancs over the Churnet Valley Railway to further afield, besides specials to Alton Towers and Rudyard Lake, but nothing to support any long distance passenger services running that way after the war. Regular freight from Camden to Leeds and Northampton to Manchester and Manchester to Nuneaton worked over the line overnight in the 1950s.

1932 provides a fascinating illustration of how well used the CVR was for rail travel to places on it and as a through route to other destinations. On 21 May there was a London to Bacup ............ on 31 May a Bolton to London working which returned the following day. On 24 June there was a Nelson to Bournemouth working and the following day a Bolton to Shanklin (IOW) working. London to Nelson on 2 July, London to Horwich on 16 July and Todmorden to London on 1 October.
The Eastern Counties Express ran from Liverpool & Manchester through Stoke from 1923. From 1927 the Manchester portion ran via the CVR, joining the Liverpool portion at Uttoxeter East Junction with only the Liverpool portion making a call at Uttoxeter station. On its return the train ran as two portions with the Cromer train running direct onto the CVR and the Lowestoft train dividing at Uttoxeter station. Days of running were gradually reduced until it became a Saturdays Only train which ceased entirely at the outbreak of WWII.
Another interesting working over the CVR was the Daily Sketch express newspaper train from Manchester to London Euston which ran from November 1925, leaving Manchester London Road at 21.50 arriving Euston 01.50

The line was proposed for closure in October 1959 and one of the points considered by the West Midlands Area Committee was that 'the diversion of some express services between London and Manchester was not considered sensible, partly because the Macclesfield to Uttoxter line had speed restrictions of 45mph but also because such services would have to run into St Pancras and not Euston.'

So it had been used as a through route but doesn't seem like it was used as such after the war, but of course odd workings to avoid engineering could have occurred but would have weakened the closure case.

lil Bear

In Rex Christiansen book "Portrait of The NSR", on page 103 it states...

...1927. A year later, North Staffordshire acquired its first named train when the noon express - the former 12.10pm Manchester departure - became "The Lancastrian".

It achieved fame among enthusiasts as an express which, when traffic was heavy, worsen in separate portions over separate routes through the Potteries. A portion from Colne in NE Lancashire was routed through the Churnet Valley, rather than being attached to the main express at Stockport.

Status
Not open for further replies.