• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The medical assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Reading about these medicals makes me nervy. I’m not a small lad but I work on my feet all day currently doing about 15000 steps a day. My eye sight needs glasses but that is allowed? I am really worried I am going to fail at final huddle to become a conductor. Just have to wait and see how it goes on Friday. Wish me luck I guess
To be blunt you are very much overthinking it! From what you've posted previously, you will almost certainly be fine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LokiB

Reading about these medicals makes me nervy. I’m not a small lad but I work on my feet all day currently doing about 15000 steps a day. My eye sight needs glasses but that is allowed? I am really worried I am going to fail at final huddle to become a conductor. Just have to wait and see how it goes on Friday. Wish me luck I guess
You'll be fine, plenty of bigger people in the conductor role.
I passed my medical in January, weigh 17st and wear glasses. As long as you fit to move and the glasses correct your vision it won't be a reason to stop you passing.

LCC106

Established Member
With medicals do you get told a date and time or do they tell u where to go to arrange a convenient time yourself
Been a while since mine, but I was sent a date and time. If you can’t make it, ring to rearrange.

Eddie77

Thanks Eddie,

Do you know if there is a specific minimum pass rate for both eyes individually, i.e. left eye: 14/20 - 20/20, Right eye 14/20-20/20 or is it marked as one score overall? Thanks
I’m not sure about specific scores mate sorry

Been a while since mine, but I was sent a date and time. If you can’t make it, ring to rearrange.
Still the same !!

You’re allocated a time and date

Signaller2be

Good luck !

ItchyRsole

I reckon I’m about 3-4kgs overweight so worried about BMI although it’s coming down weekly

MattyGregs

So I passed the medical!! Everything was perfectly fine, except for my hearing. My hearing was in ‘warning’ for my age but was told that for GWR, I was perfectly fine. Very very happy chappy!!

Eddie77

So I passed the medical!! Everything was perfectly fine, except for my hearing. My hearing was in ‘warning’ for my age but was told that for GWR, I was perfectly fine. Very very happy chappy!!
Well done mate, great news

ItchyRsole

What is the usual attire for a medical?

Can't remember what I wore to my last one years ago. Casual and loose fitting I'd guess?

CDB1991

What is the usual attire for a medical?

Can't remember what I wore to my last one years ago. Casual and loose fitting I'd guess?
Something as light as possible because you get weighed.. I must have accidentally put my heavy shoes on last time I went for one :D

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Something as light as possible because you get weighed.. I must have accidentally put my heavy shoes on last time I went for one :D

Normally ask you to take your shoes off before being weighed / measured.

dott

thats great news! well done mate!

Can you remember what the format was for the eye test? any details you have would be greatly appreciated. thanks

CambrianCoast

Passed my conductor medical yesterday. Pretty chilled process:

General health questionnaire (any joint pains, mobility issues, medications etc)
Blood pressure check
Basic eye test
Colourblindness test
Hearing test
Alcohol breathalyser and urine drug test.

Found out straight away I’d passed.

I get serious white coat syndrome in medical environments, I explained that prior to the assessment. They were fine.

I also take antidepressants and that was also absolutely fine, I know that’s a real worry for some people before going, as the information always seems to be conflicting and unclear, but rest assured it wasn’t an issue at all, so please don’t worry! Just be honest about any medication you’re taking, take them with you if you can, it helps.

HR called today to confirm my start date. Happy days! Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions if I can help to allay any worries or fears. :)

Last edited:

LCC106

Established Member
That’s what I thought. If you know you don’t take drugs then that’s all well and good but can’t be told pass or fail on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.