• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Most Audacious of Fraudsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Also, didn't some uni guys hack an Oyster so they could travel for free?

They did, though I believe TfL/Cubic patched it pretty quickly.

A simpler Oyster fraud technique related to me (friend of a friend) was to record the acceptance "beep" on a mobile phone, then mime swiping an Oyster with the phone, playing the sound at the appropriate moment (obviously, only works on buses). Apparently the individual concerned got away with this for some time before a driver caught them at it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moog_1984

My best two are....

In first class, I got "I am the Revenue Protection Manager!" he shows me some FirstGroup badge hanging round his neck on a lanyard.

Waited until after Stalybridge ....

Audacious, with a dash of dellusions of grandeur and a dose of "catch me if you can".

He probably had a forged season ticket or posed as a steward at Stalybridge Celtic! ;)

507 001

Established Member
I once heard a story about a bloke in an orange hi-viz jacket being waved through Lime street gateline twice a day for 2 years because the staff assumed he worked for NR :/

They caught him eventually, can;t remember what happened to him though!

Moog_1984

I once heard a story about a bloke in an orange hi-viz jacket being waved through Lime street gateline twice a day for 2 years because the staff assumed he worked for NR :/

They caught him eventually, can;t remember what happened to him though!

In the dying days of 40s, people did some desperate stuff. Communication cords, clothes hangers across the lines to trip out the signals so they could make a move where there wasn't one...

The 1983 / 84 london to stirling / Perth / inverness motorail services went over to diesel hauled at Carstairs and it was very often a 40 for some reason. The drop off and on happened north of the station, presumably to put it off the WCML and as it was going north, not to edinbra'

One saturday in 1984 we saw a pile of what we assumed to be rail workers in hi res vests walking towards the motorail with a split box forty on it. They turned out to be bashers who were admittedly BR employees.

Hydro

Established Member
In the dying days of 40s, people did some desperate stuff. Communication cords, clothes hangers across the lines to trip out the signals so they could make a move where there wasn't one...

That's actually rather pathetic. Especially dropping the track circuit to delay a train! That's utterly mad. Symptoms of obsession....

The Big Boo

On the 1970s/ 80s rover tickets certain peoples would bleach out the stamp ink with alcohol then hypochlorite and restamp a date on.

Also scratch it cards: famously done with scalpels and two cards by devious peoples.

Allegedly. I read in a book somewhere once...;)

Only after the BR date stamp was pinched from AYR ticket office.

FEB= FBY n all that.

Freedom of Scotland really was a Freedom of Scotland. :lol:

island

Veteran Member
Only five of the ATOC month abbreviations are different from the first three letters of the month's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.