• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
So at a time of year when it's freezing cold and quite probably snowing or raining, retailers have decided that they don't want to stand in an open doorway - who would have thought it?

Clearly yet another case of doing something to be seen to be doing something so that they can claim that they are "getting tough on the virus" and similar. It's pathetic, and there will never be any satisfying of those who scream for restrictions - as soon as they get what they want over one issue they will move on to their next demand. Probably doesn't affect them anyway as they will be at home hiding behind the sofa and avoiding that terrifying big wide world out there.

I noticed last night at my local takeaway there was a queue, did say to myself what this be like had it been a bigger city!

It makes you wonder when they come up with this guff have they tried a trial run themselves, oh wait of course not, since when do politicians or SAGE pop into a Greggs or use a takeaway!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
I've heard from a friend in her 80s that her vaccination point had queues for over an hour on Saturday, despite all appointments being timed. It was an awful day too.

takno

Established Member
I noticed last night at my local takeaway there was a queue, did say to myself what this be like had it been a bigger city!

It makes you wonder when they come up with this guff have they tried a trial run themselves, oh wait of course not, since when do politicians or SAGE pop into a Greggs or use a takeaway!
Why wouldn't SAGE or politicians use Greggs or takeaways? They may be annoying and wrong, but they're still people.

DB

Why wouldn't SAGE or politicians use Greggs or takeaways? They may be annoying and wrong, but they're still people.

Greggs is the cheap end of the market - I suspect that they are more in the Pret demographic.

kez19

Established Member

The reason I said them it was just more to the fact we have these people determine on how we go about things, I get they are "people" but yet they don't seem to have a clue about reality and it clearly shows!

ie takeaways - the rules in Scotland per se - collect at door/hatch, more to the point on the other hand they appear out of touch with real life.

takno

Established Member
Greggs is the cheap end of the market - I suspect that they are more in the Pret demographic.
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Certainly if I'm in the mood for an overpriced protein box or an underpriced coffee I go to Pret, and if I'm in the mood for a steak bake I go to Greggs.

Either way the serve at door rule is ridiculous, and it's entirely possible that Nicola, who probably brings in a cheese and pickle piece from home every day, made the decision without asking anybody else.

bramling

Veteran Member
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Certainly if I'm in the mood for an overpriced protein box or an underpriced coffee I go to Pret, and if I'm in the mood for a steak bake I go to Greggs.

Either way the serve at door rule is ridiculous, and it's entirely possible that Nicola, who probably brings in a cheese and pickle piece from home every day, made the decision without asking anybody else.

More than likely she’s had a fit of rage at the mere thought that people aren’t complying with the spirit of her stay at home message, so this is a way she’s found of “putting a stop” to that.

My town this afternoon was full of people buying coffee and then consuming it on benches. I don’t have a problem with that, as long as these self-same people aren’t clamouring for more restrictions.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
When I handed over my card they wrapped it in a tissue and took it to the actual counter inside the store where the card machine and coffee machine were and then they ferried me the coffee and card back to me.
Isnt that against Mastercard and Visa rules? I know where I work (local council) we're not even allowed to touch (even before COVID) the customer card even if the computer rejects it on the Chip and Pin machine.

Plus, to be honest, I.wouldnt trust someone taking my card out of my sight... you never know if they have a card skimmer on their person (or even an app on their phone to contactlessly skim said card...)

kez19

Established Member

Your last part is exactly the point, they make decisions but let’s remember their actions have consequences

More than likely she’s had a fit of rage at the mere thought that people aren’t complying with the spirit of her stay at home message, so this is a way she’s found of “putting a stop” to that.

My town this afternoon was full of people buying coffee and then consuming it on benches. I don’t have a problem with that, as long as these self-same people aren’t clamouring for more restrictions.

Possibly walked the streets of Edinburgh and picked up on it but hey it’s good to tell the public to comply whilst they do the opposite though

DB

Your last part is exactly the point, they make decisions but let’s remember their actions have consequences

The trouble is, all the supposed leading opposition politicians are just as bad (or worse in some cases).

kez19

Established Member
The trouble is, all the supposed leading opposition politicians are just as bad (or worse in some cases).

Yet the opposition in Scotland seem more to sit on their backside and approve anything (similar to Westminster) but like I say do any of them live in the real world or just fantasy?

takno

Established Member
Yet the opposition in Scotland seem more to sit on their backside and approve anything (similar to Westminster) but like I say do any of them live in the real world or just fantasy?
Lib Dems and Labour have taken a consistently neutral or anti stance in discussing lockdowns and other measures up here. Conservatives have been much the same, but slightly less forthright when the measures are similar to ones they're putting in themselves in England. When it comes to voting there really isn't much point in voting against the measures though - the SNP and Greens can get them through anyway, and all the polling suggests that a vote against would be successfully used to paint them as "irresponsible".

The result is that it all looks rather lame, but it's actually as much opposition as it's worth putting up. It will be interesting to see if anything changes in the Labour camp now that Richard Leonard has decided (5 months too late) to resign, but I won't be holding my breath.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I've heard from a friend in her 80s that her vaccination point had queues for over an hour on Saturday, despite all appointments being timed. It was an awful day too.
Shock, horror, the NHS failed to keep an appointment. I'm struggling to think of an occasion where I've ever been seen on time for an appointment. Even when it's the first time slot of the day, they are still late.

island

Veteran Member
Isnt that against Mastercard and Visa rules? I know where I work (local council) we're not even allowed to touch (even before COVID) the customer card even if the computer rejects it on the Chip and Pin machine.

Plus, to be honest, I.wouldnt trust someone taking my card out of my sight... you never know if they have a card skimmer on their person (or even an app on their phone to contactlessly skim said card...)
Card scheme rules do not prohibit the above, nor prohibit staff from handling customer cards.

kez19

Established Member
Lib Dems and Labour have taken a consistently neutral or anti stance in discussing lockdowns and other measures up here. Conservatives have been much the same, but slightly less forthright when the measures are similar to ones they're putting in themselves in England. When it comes to voting there really isn't much point in voting against the measures though - the SNP and Greens can get them through anyway, and all the polling suggests that a vote against would be successfully used to paint them as "irresponsible".

The result is that it all looks rather lame, but it's actually as much opposition as it's worth putting up. It will be interesting to see if anything changes in the Labour camp now that Richard Leonard has decided (5 months too late) to resign, but I won't be holding my breath.

I just call the Green Party in Scotland more of the Green Party of the SNP - they'll just vote/or back whatever is said.

I doubt anything will change with Richard Leonard resigning but you can bet he'll get no send off in Holyrood but then again knowing the SNP in Holyrood they'll be on him like a pack of wolves.

DB

Card scheme rules do not prohibit the above, nor prohibit staff from handling customer cards.

True, but if they are going to operate from the door it makes more sense to have the machine there, as for sure some will need to type a PIN in - shouldn't be difficult: just needs an ethernet or phone cable extension (depending on which method the machine uses to communicate with the back-end servers). I've done this a number of times when rearranging sites and moving card machines.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Who? Queen Nic of Govan.....hill? lol
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low