• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Nicola and Alex Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albaman

At the 2016 Election , Nicola Sturgeon won her seat , Glasgow Southside, with a majority of 9,593. It would be interesting to know if the Scottish Labour leader will have his name on the Regional List as a back up should he not win with the constituency vote ( and Nicola Sturgeon too, for that matter ).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
At the 2016 Election , Nicola Sturgeon won her seat , Glasgow Southside, with a majority of 9,593. It would be interesting to know if the Scottish Labour leader will have his name on the Regional List as a back up should he not win with the constituency vote ( and Nicola Sturgeon too, for that matter ).
I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the regional list. One factor for the SNP in the last couple of elections has been that they actually don't pick up any list seats at all in some areas, because they win all the constituency seats, but relatively narrowly, and then people go for slighty more out-there options with the list vote.

daodao

Established Member
That really depends. Is he standing in her seat? Is she not additionally on their regional list? How close was it at the last election, and is it SNP territory pre-2008?
In 2007, NS narrowly defeated her Labour opponent in the previous Govan constituency. While NS is standing on the SNP regional list at the forthcoming election for the Glasgow region, she is only the second-named candidate on that list.

takno

Established Member
In 2007, NS narrowly defeated her Labour opponent in the previous Govan constituency. While NS is standing on the SNP regional list at the forthcoming election for the Glasgow region, she is only the second-named candidate on that list.
Hmm. Interesting. I think she's probably still fairly safe on that count, but it's not a given.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The parliamentary committee is split across party lines so this outcome was to be expected; the independent report is expected to be published soon too and if that also shows she broke the ministerial code (and misled parliament), it's time for her to resign.
Given the lack of consequence for any of the ministers in Westminster at the moment, it is really hard to believe that she is getting a fair "trial" (for the lack of a better phrase) here. If ministers in Westminster can get away with a lot worse but keep their jobs, why should she lose hers?

Journeyman

Established Member
Given the lack of consequence for any of the ministers in Westminster at the moment, it is really hard to believe that she is getting a fair "trial" (for the lack of a better phrase) here. If ministers in Westminster can get away with a lot worse but keep their jobs, why should she lose hers?
The SNP spend a lot of time telling us how their sh*t smells nicer than everyone else's. They're adamant that all "Unionist" parties are corrupt and that they're the only honest, fair and principled politicians in Scotland.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The SNP spend a lot of time telling us how their sh*t smells nicer than everyone else's. They're adamant that all "Unionist" parties are corrupt and that they're the only honest, fair and principled politicians in Scotland.

Ditto what Journeyman said. If the SNP want to show they have integrity then their leader should take the courage to stand down if she gets proven by an independent body to have broken the ministerial code and misled a parliamentary inquiry.

An additional point I'd make is that there are 4 SNP members on the committee and the vote was split 5/4. This implies the Greens also believe she misled parliament, which is surprising as the Greens will usually prop the SNP up (see: John Swinney's two VoNCs this year).

The issue we have is neither of the two main opposition parties have any sort of backbone at the moment and both have relatively new leaders. There is also no clear contender for who would replace NS either - the only members I can think of are Humsa Yousaf or Kate Forbes, the latter of whom is fairly inexperienced also having only been a cabinet member for the best part of a year.

Journeyman

Established Member
Ditto what Journeyman said. If the SNP want to show they have integrity then their leader should take the courage to stand down if she gets proven by an independent body to have broken the ministerial code and misled a parliamentary inquiry.

An additional point I'd make is that there are 4 SNP members on the committee and the vote was split 5/4. This implies the Greens also believe she misled parliament, which is surprising as the Greens will usually prop the SNP up (see: John Swinney's two VoNCs this year).

The issue we have is neither of the two main opposition parties have any sort of backbone at the moment and both have relatively new leaders. There is also no clear contender for who would replace NS either - the only members I can think of are Humsa Yousaf or Kate Forbes, the latter of whom is fairly inexperienced also having only been a cabinet member for the best part of a year.
I think you're right there - the SNP are rather dependent on Sturgeon, but her popularity is clearly at risk now, and she could well become an electoral liability. They won't risk replacing her before the election, though. I agree she's got no particularly strong replacement in prospect. Humza Yousaf has a pretty lousy reputation.

I don't think there were any Greens on the committee. I saw reference to an independent, though.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If you're referring to Andy Wightman as the Green, he now sits as an independent MSP.

*Edit* My mistake - it's Alison Johnstone who is the Green MSP on the committee.

Scotrail12

Another step to getting her out for good! Not sure she will resign straight away though.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

Keir Starmer is now calling for Nicola Sturgeon to resign.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has said Nicola Sturgeon should resign if she is found to have broken the ministerial code.
Sir Keir said the issue was not one of individuals but of principles.
“If you’re going to have integrity in the Westminster Parliament or the Scottish Parliament, breaches of the ministerial code in either parliament ought to lead to a resignation,” he said.

Scotland’s first minister is currently awaiting the findings of a report into whether or not she breached the code.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
She'll still be around at Christmas. Scotland can offer no better at the moment.

I have to second this, Sturgeon right now is the best we actually have. (No way in hell do I want the Conservatives, Labour are non existent as are the Lib Dems, Green's haven't got a chance in hell). I'm not a particular fan of John Swinney either, who I also find useless.

takno

Established Member
I have to second this, Sturgeon right now is the best we actually have. (No way in hell do I want the Conservatives, Labour are non existent as are the Lib Dems, Green's haven't got a chance in hell). I'm not a particular fan of John Swinney either, who I also find useless.
What does non-existent mean in terms of Labour? They've got a decent rake of MSPs, some of whom are pretty competent, and a new leader who isn't a complete personality and policy vacuum. It seems odd to believe that the only viable option for Scotland is holding onto a proven liar who doesn't even seem to have a plan to get out of the current lockdown, let alone the economic mess we're in.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
What does non-existent mean in terms of Labour? They've got a decent rake of MSPs, some of whom are pretty competent, and a new leader who isn't a complete personality and policy vacuum. It seems odd to believe that the only viable option for Scotland is holding onto a proven liar who doesn't even seem to have a plan to get out of the current lockdown, let alone the economic mess we're in.

I haven't seen nor heard much of Scottish Labour recently, nor do I even know who the leader is. Even then, that's just my opinion.

takno

Established Member
I haven't seen nor heard much of Scottish Labour recently, nor do I even know who the leader is. Even then, that's just my opinion.
To be fair the leader was only elected 3 weeks ago, so he hasn't had much chance to make his mark. Frankly terrible timing from Richard Leonard leaving it until just before the election to resign, but it does mean that the team in place is now a good bit more competent than before.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ruth Davidson ( Conservative) is probably the smoothest operator after Sturgeon in Scottish Politics, but she is standing down.

Swinney is somewhat akin to "Mogadon Man"

How about one Alex Salmond - that would be a remarkable comeback :E

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

I think you've taken the words out of many mouths.
How about one Alex Salmond - that would be a remarkable comeback :E
Now now, stop being facetious :lol:. On a serious note, if they still want independence to be taken seriously, he may be the only way forwards. I think the 2nd & minor parties have a lot to gain.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
One thing I do have to say, it is ironic that Starmer is saying Sturgeon should resign,

Yet he hasn’t called for Pritel, Hancock or Johnson to resign over the same reason? It seems to be that Westminster try to find every chance they can to criticise the Scottish Government.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
One thing I do have to say, it is ironic that Starmer is saying Sturgeon should resign,

Yet he hasn’t called for Pritel, Hancock or Johnson to resign over the same reason? It seems to be that Westminster try to find every chance they can to criticise the Scottish Government.
Yes, there is rather a lot of hypocrisy here.

My own thoughts are that if the independent enquiry finds that Sturgeon has breached the ministerial code she'll have to go fairly quickly. It's not great timing with the election coming up, though. If she does make it past the election I don't think she should remain in place much longer, even if she is exonerated. The question is, who would be her replacement? I'm not entirely convinced that Swinney is the right person.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

My own thoughts are that if the independent enquiry finds that Sturgeon has breached the ministerial code she'll have to go fairly quickly. It's not great timing with the election coming up, though. If she does make it past the election I don't think she should remain in place much longer, even if she is exonerated. The question is, who would be her replacement? I'm not entirely convinced that Swinney is the right person.

I'm not convinced there is anyone really. It's a given that SNP popularity will fall in some places, with some regions that were conservative in the 2017 election may return back to being that way, having switched in 2019. The Lib Dems look to be increasing in popularity, particularly in the north (which is who I may vote this year).

takno

Established Member

It's a concern that none of the parties seems to run particularly deep on talent. For the opposition that's partly because both leaders are so new, and in Labour's case at least there's been a pretty much full switch in the entire shadow team with Anas's arrival. Arguably the SNP are really suffering from a certain rigidity of mindset in the ruling couple, which has prevented good candidates from coming up the ranks.

In all cases, I think the decline in the Scottish press industry means that figures from all parties are getting coverage more in line with local councillors than ministers. That's not good for democracy.

wireforever

I see another no confidence vote failed mainly as the spineless labour and tory parties abstained or perhaps they knew if they won they may have to actually do some work and run Scotland or the other nuclear option would have been special advisers and rule from Westminister ?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I see another no confidence vote failed mainly as the spineless labour and tory parties abstained or perhaps they knew if they won they may have to actually do some work and run Scotland or the other nuclear option would have been special advisers and rule from Westminister ?
Was bound to fail when the Greens decided to vote for the SNPs. Labour deciding to abstain to avoid being seen as voting against them

Status
Not open for further replies.