• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Railway children. How many versions are there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BS56

I recently purchased that new book Hatfield to Hertford branch line by Peter Paye in it he mentions that on the 7th January1951 the BBC film crew were at Cole Green station filming a TV series about the Railway children. I own a DVD made in black and white of the railway children story which is about six episodes long but I think this was made in sixties so is there another earlier version out there ? ( Perhaps now lost ). Which begs the question how many films are there ?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
According to Wikipedia, there have been five TV versions, four by the BBC (the second being an adaptation of the first) and two BBC radio versions. There has only been one film and at least two stage versions. The 1951 TV programme was the first TV programme to be made. I think the 1957 version was made, at least in part, on the Guildford-Horsham line. Jenny Agutter appeared in two TV programmes and one film (I still can’t get my head around her being the mother in the 2000 TV programme.)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not a film, but there was a 14 minute radio programme "The Saving of Albert Perks", set in c. 1938, which was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 fairly recently, and was narrated by Bernard Cribbins, who featured in the 1970 film.

Seem to also recall that a film sequel, featuring Jenny Agutter, is currently in production. Believe its cinematic release is presently slated for April 2022.

MAV39

According to Wikipedia, there have been five TV versions, four by the BBC (the second being an adaptation of the first) and two BBC radio versions. There has only been one film and at least two stage versions. The 1951 TV programme was the first TV programme to be made. I think the 1957 version was made, at least in part, on the Guildford-Horsham line. Jenny Agutter appeared in two TV programmes and one film (I still can’t get my head around her being the mother in the 2000 TV programme.)

According to Nostalgia Central, Baynards was the station used for location filming of the 1957 version.

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1950s/railway-children-the/

"Baynards railway station, on the Cranleigh line in Surrey (now disused) was used for location filming."

BS56

It seems the first one is now lost for good including the remake a short while later. As for the second version made in 1957 it fails to mention if it survives in the BBC archives it would be nice if it did although I doubt it a lot of black and white stuff was trashed in the late sixties and early seventies. So I have the third version on DVD . The fourth must be the colour one filmed on the Bluebell railway not sure what year it was filmed and not seen it on DVD yet but I will look on Ebay.

BS56

The Bluebell Railway one was filmed in 1999, but is dated 2000. It was a Carlton TV production.
Yes you are right. So there might be only three BBC versions. Not sure but there might also be a Australian film version as well . Also I have found the one you just mentioned on Ebay new for less then a fiver !

Wasn't there a drama version done in York Railway Museum about ten years ago, repeated some time later in the out of use international platforms at Waterloo?

eoff

I have the 1968 DVD and had to get it from Australia as it was rare at the time. I'm pretty sure I contacted the BBC shop and they said they had many programmes that were not available on DVD and this was one of them.
I also have the 1970 film as I got to keep it when one supplier sent it instead of the 1968 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.