• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Railway Series [Thomas the Tank Engine] (and TV spin-offs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merthyr Imp

The Fat Controller is a fiction; the first two books preceded nationalisation and he was the Fat Director in those, redone and renamed (along with new artwork) with nationalisation.

I don't know if it's generally known but there were/are two Fat Controllers - father and son, and both named Topham Hatt.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Fat Controller is a fiction; the first two books preceded nationalisation and he was the Fat Director in those, redone and renamed (along with new artwork) with nationalisation.

Thing which just crossed mind, rather belatedly (prompted by post #62) -- I was never at any stage a big Railway Series aficionado, and am likely vague or wrong about many things. I'd always had the impression that Sodor was a quasi-Garden of Eden, where such troubles as did come about, were pretty small-time; and beastly things like nationalisation and line closures, were stuff that happened in other, less fortunate places. Had imagined that Sodor's railways had remained happily in private ownership, "since forever" and up to the present day: anything changing (as above) because of nationalisation, just not applying there. In the Series, was the Sodor system actually from 1948 on, an -- albeit unusual -- part of BR; and in recent decades, who-knows-what? Setting-right on these matters by knowledgeable fans, would be much appreciated.

Merthyr Imp

I'd always had the impression that Sodor was a quasi-Garden of Eden, where such troubles as did come about, were pretty small-time; and beastly things like nationalisation and line closures, were stuff that happened in other, less fortunate places. Had imagined that Sodor's railways had remained happily in private ownership, "since forever" and up to the present day: anything changing (as above) because of nationalisation, just not applying there. In the Series, was the Sodor system actually from 1948 on, an -- albeit unusual -- part of BR; and in recent decades, who-knows-what? Setting-right on these matters by knowledgeable fans, would be much appreciated.

First of all, as you may know the railways on the Island of Sodor are connected to the mainland by a bridge at Barrow.

A sort of grouping of the original railways on the island took place in 1914 to form the North Western Railway. The board of directors of this railway managed to resist being absorbed by the LMS in 1923 and it remained independent until 1948 when the island became the North Western Region of British Railways. Since then, according to the Reverend Awdry in his 1987 book 'The Island of Sodor: Its people, history and railways': "In spite of nationalisation we have, in large measure, retained our independence and profitability. This is unquestionably due to the continuity of good management we have enjoyed under the 'Hatt regime'".

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Should you wish to be cured of a liking for Thomas the Tank Engine, I recommend this video:

(Because what Thomas really needs is someone shouting "C'MON!" at the start of an over-emoting chorus, obviously.)

Taunton

Established Member
First of all, as you may know the railways on the Island of Sodor are connected to the mainland by a bridge at Barrow.
This fiction was effectively "reverse engineered" by Awdry, and his brother, well into the production of the books, where they mapped out where the various incidents had happened. It is of course well-established for serial authors to do a fictional map of where their stories are happening, the likes of Thomas Hardy's map of Wessex with the supposed places mentioned in his novels being just one of many example. Particularly for children's books, many here will know that any inconsistency is immediately picked up and questioned, so just as well ...! Of course, there is then a dividing line between requiring signals to have the right number and shape of stripes, but then accepting the locomotives have faces and characters. Awdry seems to have been quite clever in walking that line.

Merthyr Imp

Of course, there is then a dividing line between requiring signals to have the right number and shape of stripes, but then accepting the locomotives have faces and characters.

Engines do have faces!

Colin Walker writes in his book 'Trails of Steam Volume 6' about his experiences of watching trains at Grantham in the 1950s: "There was little cordiality to be read on the front of an A4 while the other Pacific classes and the V2s possessed those enigmatic grins which suddenly assumed a demoniac character when they bore down upon the station at speed."

Calthrop

Established Member

A sort of grouping of the original railways on the island took place in 1914 to form the North Western Railway. The board of directors of this railway managed to resist being absorbed by the LMS in 1923 and it remained independent until 1948 when the island became the North Western Region of British Railways. Since then, according to the Reverend Awdry in his 1987 book 'The Island of Sodor: Its people, history and railways': "In spite of nationalisation we have, in large measure, retained our independence and profitability. This is unquestionably due to the continuity of good management we have enjoyed under the 'Hatt regime'".

As they are fond of saying on another message board which I frequent (this, a non-railway one): "Ignorance fought !" My grateful thanks. One feels rather, that the "history" as set out by you represents a sort of halfway house between two imaginable more extreme scenarios.

I'd been aware of the bridge at Barrow, giving connection to Great Britain's rail system. Calling up via the Net, the Sodor railway map: I observe that Sodor is separated from the Isle of Man by a decidedly narrow strait -- albeit broader than the channel between Barrow and Vicarstown. One is prompted to speculate on whether the Reverend ever had thoughts of perhaps featuring some 3ft. gauge on Sodor -- with a train-ferry link to Man, assuming no contemplating of bridge or tunnel -- but decided against the idea, reckoning that it would over-complicate an already potentially complex rail scene: gilding the lily, as it were.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good management from the Fat Controller? I beg to differ
Hm. I mean he had his faults, but he was quite good at differentiating between the use of the carrot and the stick. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.