• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The rapid decline of Bournemouth’s Yellow Buses network

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrossley

Established Member
So just shy of a week and the unified system begins to be broken up. I really hope that ticketing won't get split again; those living in the area appreciated the single system - if only for a week...

The prevailing forum view is that one unified ticketing system for an area is undesirable, if you look at previous threads discussing single company tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miklcct

On Moderation
Memories of Hants & Dorset !
Yellow Coaches will be using green Xelabuses on Monday on their three Bournemouth routes. Very appropriate for the 18.
Oh no.

I am wishing that yellow buses are used on these routes instead.

James H

Morebus have posted on Facebook to say that the live bus tracking for the ex-Yellows routes now works properly.

Towers

Established Member
The prevailing forum view is that one unified ticketing system for an area is undesirable, if you look at previous threads discussing single company tickets.
However, with the current and increasing general lack of profitability in running buses, the idea of two or more operators genuinely competing in an area must seem increasingly unlikely?

johncrossley

Established Member
However, with the current and increasing general lack of profitability in running buses, the idea of two or more operators genuinely competing in an area must seem increasingly unlikely?

Doesn't matter. The forum has argued vociferously against removing single company tickets in areas with more than one operator. Even in Oxford where there has long been a partnership between the two main companies.

jammy36

Doesn't matter. The forum has argued vociferously against removing single company tickets in areas with more than one operator. Even in Oxford where there has long been a partnership between the two main companies.

Sorry, but that is a misrepresentation. What was expressed in the Oxford thread was a preference for both single and multi-operator tickets being available. The arguement wasn't against unified ticketing systems - I don't recall that ever being said. What forum members argued was that the introduction of a multi-operator ticket shouldn't mean that the option of a single operator ticket is automatically removed.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Sorry, but that is a misrepresentation. What was expressed in the Oxford thread was a preference for both single and multi-operator tickets being available. The arguement wasn't against unified ticketing systems - I don't recall that ever being said. What forum members argued was that the introduction of a multi-operator ticket shouldn't mean that the option of a single operator ticket is automatically removed.
Well said!
Despite the topic airing across many threads, some members have totally failed to grasp/understand that point.

johncrossley

Established Member

The poster above was complaining about the reintroduction of separate tickets for Xelagroup. Of course there will be joint tickets, but at a premium, and probably a reduced range and possibly using fewer formats. I'm happy to be corrected but I'm sure there was a preference for just one range of tickets to be needed.

Well said!
Despite the topic airing across many threads, some members have totally failed to grasp/understand that point.

I perfectly understand the point. I disagree with it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The poster above was complaining about the reintroduction of separate tickets for Xelagroup. Of course there will be joint tickets, but at a premium, and probably a reduced range and possibly using fewer formats. I'm happy to be corrected but I'm sure there was a preference for just one range of tickets to be needed.

I perfectly understand the point. I disagree with it.
Sorry but that ISN'T what you said. You said...

That is patently untrue.

What has said, apparently vociferously, is that whilst multi operator tickets are preferred, there would seem to be sensible for single operator tickets to be available. Especially so if they attract a lower cost which, as their geographic scope may well be less, would make sense.

As it is, I would hope that Xelabus will be integrated into the Getting About scheme given the limited presence on tendered routes, and as they are involved in Solent Go.

AB93

Oh please that's not what was said.

johncrossley

Established Member
Oh please that's not what was said.

It is consistently argued that single company tickets must be preserved, and people on here (except for a few) think it is acceptable because people wanting more than one company can get the joint ticket. Of course, offering different fares by different geographical areas is normal, sensible and done throughout the world. But in Oxford and several other places you have multiple ticket ranges covering the same (or very similar) geographical area.

Someone currently enjoying full network access across Bournemouth and Poole will have to pay more for the same thing if some routes change operator to Xelabus. That's what @Western Sunset was concerned about.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Anyone wishing to discuss single- versus multi-operator tickets should do so elsewhere, either in an existing thread (please use the search function) or start a new thread. It's off-topic here.

SCH117X

Established Member
The award of the services to Xelabus does seem very quick given as far as i am aware the accelerated procedure for contracts is 15 days; presumably if it was obvious to the Council all parties who would meet the terms of the contract had applied then they were on safe ground to award it.There was a case in North Yorkshire where the council awarded contracts for services around Skipton to Blazefield Holdings (Harrogate & District, Keighley & District etc) who then purchased the requisite vehicles to operate their new Craven & District operation only for existing and other interested operators to successfully challenge the award of the contracts on the basis the requisite timescale had not been met. The outcome was the contracts were reissued not to Blazefield to whom North Yorkshire had to pay compensation.

baza585

They've been common since the idiotic decision to replace the B7RLE fleet on the m1/m2 with ridiculous e200 MMCs.

They're also used when available to mitigate the effects of the extensive number of lost journeys on m1/m2 currently.
Spot on about the ADLs.

Wickham and his management team should be condemned to ride all day every day on a full and standing M1,particularly towards the back, where there seems to be no working suspension.

Hopefully they will be sent to Poole for the side routes, with the M1/2 being deckered or at least re Volvoed .

No problem with the ADLs being used in evenings but they are not up to full loads, particularly given the state of the roads.

E-Rail

Spot on about the ADLs.

Wickham and his management team should be condemned to ride all day every day on a full and standing M1,particularly towards the back, where there seems to be no working suspension.

Hopefully they will be sent to Poole for the side routes, with the M1/2 being deckered or at least re Volvoed .

No problem with the ADLs being used in evenings but they are not up to full loads, particularly given the state of the roads.
Let's not forget that they also have the completely stupid glass sunroofs fitted to them. More spin over substance.

MotCO

Established Member
The award of the services to Xelabus does seem very quick given as far as i am aware the accelerated procedure for contracts is 15 days; presumably if it was obvious to the Council all parties who would meet the terms of the contract had applied then they were on safe ground to award it.There was a case in North Yorkshire where the council awarded contracts for services around Skipton to Blazefield Holdings (Harrogate & District, Keighley & District etc) who then purchased the requisite vehicles to operate their new Craven & District operation only for existing and other interested operators to successfully challenge the award of the contracts on the basis the requisite timescale had not been met. The outcome was the contracts were reissued not to Blazefield to whom North Yorkshire had to pay compensation.

Is it possible the contract was sent out for tenders before Yellow Buses filed for administration?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Someone currently enjoying full network access across Bournemouth and Poole will have to pay more for the same thing if some routes change operator to Xelabus. That's what @Western Sunset was concerned about.

But that would just be a return to the ticketing system that was available before, though Xelabus clearly run a lot fewer routes than Yellow Buses did.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Once again I would like to remind everyone to remain on-topic. Discussion of former Yellow Buses routes, vehicles and any thoughts about the demise of the company are fine here.

If you wish to discuss morebus in general (ie, routes not connected with Yellow Buses), then there is a thread for Go South Coast here:

There is no existing thread for Xelabus as far as I can see, therefore anyone who wishes to discuss that operation should start a separate thread.

baza585

Let's not forget that they also have the completely stupid glass sunroofs fitted to them. More spin over substance.
Yes. Anyone who has travelled on them on a hot day will never forget the experience.

As you say, all spin over substance.

It's not like they got rid of the Volvos, just used them on side routes to which the ADLs are far more suited. They are still guzzling the same amount of fuel more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.