• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Train Now Departing, BBC 1988

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
I recently ran into all six episodes of this BBC series on YouTube, and it was a treat to see them again after many years. I was fourteen years old when they were originally shown, and didn't remember much beyond an evocative theme tune, and various bits of footage of steam specials. The show was made to mark twenty years since the end of steam, and it's interesting that so many features of the steam age railway survived back then - the first three shows covered the Settle and Carlisle, West Highland and Waterloo to Exeter lines, and at the time all three had loco-hauled trains with stock that would previously have been steam-hauled. It's funny that over thirty years have now elapsed since the show was made, and even the 1988 footage in it is now historic, showing a railway that no longer exists.

Anyone else remember it? Well worth a look.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I recently ran into all six episodes of this BBC series on YouTube, and it was a treat to see them again after many years. I was fourteen years old when they were originally shown, and didn't remember much beyond an evocative theme tune, and various bits of footage of steam specials. The show was made to mark twenty years since the end of steam, and it's interesting that so many features of the steam age railway survived back then - the first three shows covered the Settle and Carlisle, West Highland and Waterloo to Exeter lines, and at the time all three had loco-hauled trains with stock that would previously have been steam-hauled. It's funny that over thirty years have now elapsed since the show was made, and even the 1988 footage in it is now historic, showing a railway that no longer exists.

Anyone else remember it? Well worth a look.
Absolutely loved it and someone bought me the accompanying book of the series too.
A couple of years later when I started volunteering at the Mid Hants I made friends with a wonderful guy called Mike who actually appears in the series talking about industrial railways in a section that was filmed at the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum. :)
Quality television @Journeyman.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I particularly liked the S&C episode. The Waterloo - Exeter episode seemed a bit downbeat - I still use it as my holiday line !

Journeyman

Established Member
Yes, I particularly liked the S&C episode. The Waterloo - Exeter episode seemed a bit downbeat - I still use it as my holiday line !
Yeah, the guy they chose to feature in that seemed to have a particular downer on everything. My favourite was the West Highland episode, which featured a driver with a rather reflective and poetic personality - he really appreciated the landscape he drove through.

I wrote a blog post about the series here - The Train Now Departing (BBC TV, 1988) – Journeyman Online

Absolutely loved it and someone bought me the accompanying book of the series too.
A couple of years later when I started volunteering at the Mid Hants I made friends with a wonderful guy called Mike who actually appears in the series talking about industrial railways in a section that was filmed at the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum. :)
Quality television @Journeyman.
I've ordered a copy of the book, I'm looking forward to getting it! I particularly enjoyed the Amberley bits, as that was a favourite haunt of mine when I was a kid. I took my own children there too - happy days. :) I was glad to see the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway feature in the final episode too, as I now volunteer there. The station looked a bit bare back then - that was long before my first ever trip to Scotland, let alone the whole idea of living here...

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
If I remember the title sequence was a "ken Morse on rostrum camera" special. Thoroughly enjoyed rewatching it on iPlayer a few years ago

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah, the guy they chose to feature in that seemed to have a particular downer on everything. My favourite was the West Highland episode, which featured a driver with a rather reflective and poetic personality - he really appreciated the landscape he drove through.

I wrote a blog post about the series here - The Train Now Departing (BBC TV, 1988) – Journeyman Online

I've ordered a copy of the book, I'm looking forward to getting it! I particularly enjoyed the Amberley bits, as that was a favourite haunt of mine when I was a kid. I took my own children there too - happy days. :) I was glad to see the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway feature in the final episode too, as I now volunteer there. The station looked a bit bare back then - that was long before my first ever trip to Scotland, let alone the whole idea of living here...
The West Highland episode is the one where the driver is out on a boat fishing with his wee doggies isn’t it?
I’m going to have to watch these again you know... :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Incedentally, the haunting theme tune is called "Bare Necessities" and is quite difficult to find anywhere on the internet due to the prevelance of a song of the same name from a Disney feature.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I haven't seen these in a good while but if this is the episode that ended its journey at Exmouth on a rainy day then I know exactly what you mean about downbeat Rob. It started off quite well but I found it quite depressing by the end!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I haven't seen these in a good while but if this is the episode that ended its journey at Exmouth on a rainy day then I know exactly what you mean about downbeat Rob. It started off quite well but I found it quite depressing by the end!

Indeed. Perhaps he should have taken a couple of beers with him for the journey !

Journeyman

Established Member
Incedentally, the haunting theme tune is called "Bare Necessities" and is quite difficult to find anywhere on the internet due to the prevelance of a song of the same name from a Disney feature.
I found it fairly quickly on YouTube Music. The full version is nearly four and a half minutes, and it's beautiful.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As far as I know the full series has been available on the BBC archives - where I first saw this series - and which you can access through iPlayer, for a few years.

There's a few other railway related programmes there as well.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I know the full series has been available on the BBC archives - where I first saw this series - and which you can access through iPlayer, for a few years.

Just checked - it's on there as part of the BBC4 collection. That's my viewing for this evening sorted!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Just checked - it's on there as part of the BBC4 collection. That's my viewing for this evening sorted!
Check out the other stuff as well, I can't recall precisely what's there but they added some things in April and June to augment what was already there.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It was nice to watch the S&C one again as I'm getting cabin fever now and missing the whole area.

Amazing to think it was over thirty years ago !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I can remember those days so the statement from the programme "20 years after the end of steam" really makes me feel old.

It certainly seems strange to see the line without a 158 in sight :lol:

It's about 20 years since my first trip along there come to think of it !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can remember those days so the statement from the programme "20 years after the end of steam" really makes me feel old.
Looking back at it 1987/88 was a big time of change around my way with lots of things finally disappearing. Things like the yards at Whimple, Seaton Junction and other places, Newton Abbot being rationalised, but also Peaks, scheduled loco hauled trains to Barnstaple, loco hauled locals to Paignton and various other things.
I’m glad I saw all of it before it went I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.