• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Then & Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ah well I suppose he’s got the right ;).
My dad tells me of seeing brand new Baby Deltics and Metrovicks.
I try to pretend that I don’t care...

That's the attitude, well I mean why be bothered about such petty events like that when we had much bigger fish to fry such as the memorable launch of Pacers, Sprinters, Turbos etc. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
That's the attitude, well I mean why be bothered about such petty events like that when we had much bigger fish to fry such as the memorable launch of Pacers, Sprinters, Turbos etc. ;)
Indeed. I was over the moon when they launched 156s on my local route. Put me right off trains, that did :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Having visited Reddish South Station over the weekend I thought I should provide this pair of shots taken from an identical location on the platform but separated by 43 years.

The 1st image (sorry about the poor scan quality here) from 9th August 1975 shows 47117 heading a southbound Freightliner working diverted from its usual WCML route due to a recent mishap, all semaphore signaling had recently been removed and the signalbox which was situated on the disused island platform (formerly 3&4) alongside the locomotive also sadly demolished soon after decommissioning. The building to the right is the premises of the Standard Railway Wagon Co. (Heywood).

The second shot featuring ex work 150138 shows relatively little change considering the elapsed 43 years since the first, the obvious differences being the usual unchecked growth of lineside trees etc. also the line through here has now been singled with the former platform 2 face now serving both directions. The railway wagon company is long gone but behind the trees the former buildings still exist, although sadly no longer building or refurbishing railway goods vehicles.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 95

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There does seem to be very little change considering as you say 43 years has passed since you took the original photo.
In fact a bit of time with a strimmer and a chainsaw plus a chance passing by two tone green 47501 or blue 47580 on a railtour could pass quite well for 1973...
I suppose the previous ten years before 1973 were the ones that saw some huge rationalisation to the station though.
Interesting stuff. More please. ;)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yes indeed Mr C, as I remember the station lost its brick built street level ticket office and covered steps down to the platforms and the wooden platform building/canopies etc. around late 1968 when BR introduced Paytrain services on the line. Metal steps were then put in place plus the obligatory bus type shelter and electric lights replaced the old gas lamps, the only staff presence left being the signalman in his box. During 1971 the up/down slow lines were taken out of use although they remained in situ for some time afterwards to enable the daily trip working (9T22) to access to the wagon works and also for wagon storage out towards the Denton direction for some distance.

L+Y

Yes indeed Mr C, as I remember the station lost its brick built street level ticket office and covered steps down to the platforms and the wooden platform building/canopies etc. around late 1968 when BR introduced Paytrain services on the line. Metal steps were then put in place plus the obligatory bus type shelter and electric lights replaced the old gas lamps, the only staff presence left being the signalman in his box. During 1971 the up/down slow lines were taken out of use although they remained in situ for some time afterwards to enable the daily trip working (9T22) to access to the wagon works and also for wagon storage out towards the Denton direction for some distance.

I had wondered as to the dates that rationalisation took place through Reddish South- my partner is from the area so I regularly go for a look at trains running through. Plus that 68-75 "steam age but without steam" railway period is one that absolutely fascinates me (born in 1991) so thanks for sharing!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had wondered as to the dates that rationalisation took place through Reddish South- my partner is from the area so I regularly go for a look at trains running through. Plus that 68-75 "steam age but without steam" railway period is one that absolutely fascinates me (born in 1991) so thanks for sharing!
It’s a very interesting era isn’t it? Lots of old infrastructure still clinging on here and there.
Mr Bridge thankfully managed to have the foresight to take a few photos of it all back then, and bit by bit we’re able to coax them out of him...

L+Y

It’s a very interesting era isn’t it? Lots of old infrastructure still clinging on here and there.

Absolutely! I always particularly like the juxtaposition of old and new- blue DMUs on the rump GCR, for example.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Absolutely! I always particularly like the juxtaposition of old and new- blue DMUs on the rump GCR, for example.

I thought I should add these images of Reddish South viewed in the opposite direction looking towards Stockport.

The first shot (Credited to J. W. Sutherland) dates from 1967 and depicts an arriving Class 108 DMU working a Stockport-Stalybridge service, the first car of which is in an early version of BR blue livery, the second could very likely still be in its original green which was very common through this period. I realise this is a former LNWR location but don't you think there is a somewhat GCR look about this view?

Second shot obviously showing today's somewhat rationalised scene.

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2244.JPG
    IMG_2244.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 91

Flying Phil

Established Member
I agree about the GCR look - many of the GCR stations on the London Extension were Island platforms accessed from a road over-bridge.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I agree about the GCR look - many of the GCR stations on the London Extension were Island platforms accessed from a road over-bridge.

That's also what I had in mind Phil, the girderwork used on the bridges (over & under) throughout this line look to be very similar if not identical to that found on the GC Mainline too.

delt1c

Established Member
Did I read correct Mr A ? You mentioned Pacers, not Nodding Donkeys. Is this a 1st?

Inversnecky

I’d posted elsewhere about the very noticeable simplification of the trackwork to the west of Edinburgh Waverley over the last few decades.

I thought it would be interesting to see ‘then and now’ photos of other stations, large or small....

Attachments

• F2D329DC-832E-4705-ADA8-94A77D3A6B83.jpeg
    F2D329DC-832E-4705-ADA8-94A77D3A6B83.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 104
  • FC15694E-6DFD-4FE0-8ABC-9E9638245DDD.jpeg
    FC15694E-6DFD-4FE0-8ABC-9E9638245DDD.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 100

nlogax

Established Member
Another example of something I've mentioned here previously - old S&T and station throat tracks just 'flowed' in a way you never see now. While simplified approaches are efficient they don't possess that..I don't know..engineering elegance. From an infrastructure perspective they're very pleasing to look at.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another example of something I've mentioned here previously - old S&T and station throat tracks just 'flowed' in a way you never see now. While simplified approaches are efficient they don't possess that..I don't know..engineering elegance. From an infrastructure perspective they're very pleasing to look at.
That trackwork in the earlier photo is a thing of beauty.

Poolie

The Mac Hawkins books are really interesting. Well researched and a lot of detail and facts. They show the changes from the steam era to the 1990's. But how much has changed again since then. Maybe there should be a series of Then and Now and Now Again !

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Trackwork apart, I find that earlier shot of Waverley Station so full of interest. That unique to Sc Region class 40 with its raised headcode panel surround appeared a bit like a Baby Deltic when I first looked; also is that a second driving car behind the leading one of the Swindon dmu? The stonework of The North British Hotel looks so much cleaner nowadays than back in the 1960s.

Absolutely agree on the Mac Hawkins books from the early 90s; definitely an updated series on those required now and I'd certainly be a prospective purchaser should it come about.

Inversnecky

Trackwork apart, I find that earlier shot of Waverley Station so full of interest. That unique to Sc Region class 40 with its raised headcode panel surround appeared a bit like a Baby Deltic when I first looked; also is that a second driving car behind the leading one of the Swindon dmu? The stonework of The North British Hotel looks so much cleaner nowadays than back in the 1960s.

It is a lovely shot, isn’t it?

The current Waverley layout just isn’t a patch on the previous (from a purely personal view that loves complex layouts).

I didn’t realise that 40 panel was distinctly Scottish.

I was living in Edinburgh at the time the stone cleanwork got underway (1990ish?) and recall it having to be paused because of worry about damage from it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
also is that a second driving car behind the leading one of the Swindon dmu?
Yes, one of the gangwayed intermediate DMBS. Standard practice almost since the beginning with the E&G Swindon sets - they would be formed DMBS-iDMBS-TFK-TFKRB-iDMBS-DMBS.

(I use "i" to designate intermediate)

This was done to allow quick removal of a recalcitrant leading power car which would then reveal a leading cab on the iDMBS and allow departure as quickly as possible, due to the method of providing the control air supply on these units if the system failed the car had to be removed, each power car producing its own supply. It also concentrated first class together in the middle of the set and next to the catering facilities.

delt1c

Established Member

The current Waverley layout just isn’t a patch on the previous (from a purely personal view that loves complex layouts).

I was living in Edinburgh at the time the stone cleanwork got underway (1990ish?) and recall it having to be paused because of worry about damage from it.
40.060 to 40.065 were retro fitted with headcode boxes. Easy front end identification was the drop at the bottom of the nose where the the gangway had been and squared of corners to the headcode boxes. Never understood they were retrofitted as Scr was the last to accept 4 character headcode displays.

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Yes, smashing shot! Approximately when was the layout altered at Waverley? Last time I was there (briefly) was 30th November 96 on the Deltic Deliverance tour but never saw the west side of the station. Previous to that was April 1989 when I think I took a shot from that same location during the last days of the push-pull 47s so must now locate the slide some time.
Yes, one of the gangwayed intermediate DMBS. Standard practice almost since the beginning with the E&G Swindon sets - they would be formed DMBS-iDMBS-TFK-TFKRB-iDMBS-DMBS.

(I use "i" to designate intermediate)

This was done to allow quick removal of a recalcitrant leading power car which would then reveal a leading cab on the iDMBS and allow departure as quickly as possible, due to the method of providing the control air supply on these units if the system failed the car had to be removed, each power car producing its own supply. It also concentrated first class together in the middle of the set and next to the catering facilities.
Cheers for this hexagon, that's something new I've learned!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
My apologies. I probably didn't explain what I meant very clearly but ScR 40s D260-D266(?) which didn't have headcode panels from new were retro fitted with centre boxes of a squarer and slightly more prominent design than those fitted from new on the later batches of the D300 (D340 onwards?) series locos, plus at that time as your shot illustrates they had a fuller yellow panel too. Although I believe these squarer centre boxes were also fitted to a small number of the later 40s which I assumed were also Scottish Region locos unless anyone could tell me otherwise?

Inversnecky

lScR 40s D260-D266(?) which didn't have headcode panels from new were retro fitted with centre boxes of a squarer and slightly more prominent design than those fitted from new on the later batches of the D300 (D340 onwards?)
I’m going to have to look for examples to visualise.

If you can forgive the fact that these are from a simulator, perhaps these demonstrate what you are describing?

Attachments

• 1C915D32-072F-49A0-ABAA-AD555F3D02AD.jpeg
    1C915D32-072F-49A0-ABAA-AD555F3D02AD.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 17
  • A5B77349-4D80-41D2-8635-ACBDE137E6AF.jpeg
    A5B77349-4D80-41D2-8635-ACBDE137E6AF.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I’m going to have to look for examples to visualise.

If you can forgive the fact that these are from a simulator, perhaps these demonstrate what you are describing?

Exactly!

And my apologies to delt1c as I hadn't seen his posting previous to mine until just now, he should know better than I anyway as they operated in his neck of the woods back in the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.