• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Theoretical Question: Regarding Station Ticket Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

L401CJF

Established Member
All good points raised, and clearly makes sense that it'd be intended to be a convenience for those who could collect their parcel before or after starting a rail journey. The thought only popped into my mind for those who select it on the basis that it's the closest to them on the list of lockers, without realising its actually on the platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
How about if I chose to get it delivered to a locker inside my local supermarket, then complained that I had to queue up with everyone else to get in to access it? Or chose to get it delivered to a shop, then complained that they expect me to show up only within their opening hours to collect MY property? Surely this is no different - I chose to get it delivered there, so should expect to have to abide by the rules of said premises?

A locker at a station is clearly intended for people who are using the train, I guess most common examples being people who have been out for work or leisure for the day and can collect their parcel on the way home. There are Amazon counters in several shops opposite, and another locker around the corner!

Do Amazon make the exact location clear when selecting which to use?

matt_world2004

Established Member
There's also the lost property office at Heathrow T3, which is inside the gateline if I remember correctly. I'm sure they must have a procedure for this sort of thing.
You can get free transfer tickets at Heathrow Terminal 3 to access behind the gate line.

CrispyUK

All good points raised, and clearly makes sense that it'd be intended to be a convenience for those who could collect their parcel before or after starting a rail journey. The thought only popped into my mind for those who select it on the basis that it's the closest to them on the list of lockers, without realising its actually on the platform.
I wonder if it has been set up as a public locker on the Amazon site or in a similar way to those that are located within large workplaces or student accommodation, where you have to confirm that you have authorised access to the location before being able to direct your deliveries there?

jon0844

Veteran Member
But it’s not as though the railway have chosen to have the only locker in Rock Ferry - there is another around the corner, as well as counters in shops opposite. Amazon customers choose where to have their items delivered - they aren’t forced to have it delivered to the one at the station. It just seems logical to me that ones at stations are intended for use by people travelling by train, for example out the house for the day for work/leisure, and gives them the ability to collect their parcel on the way home.

My reference to the delivered item being the consumer’s property was in response to Ianigsy, who talked about it being unfair they’d potentially have to abide by the rules of a property owner when trying to access a property where they chose to have their “property”delivered.

With many more lockers going into railway stations (I think we'll be seeing many more Amazon ones at stations this year from what I've heard) I wonder if Amazon will put some sort of message on its own site when you select one (as it does for collections at shops, with things like opening hours).

It would be quite easy to warn people that access might be restricted, and actually in the interest of Amazon to have it restricted. Why? Because lockers are popular and that's why many towns are now getting many more simply to cope with the fact they are not just for delivering goods, but also collecting returns. In order to ensure that passengers can get the convenience of a railway station locker, it wouldn't be good to have people who could perhaps use another locker elsewhere decide to pick that one.

Make it so you need to have a ticket to pass through a gate, and you've potentially helped reserve it for rail passengers who won't then complain so much about the locker not being available because it's full.

Do Amazon make the exact location clear when selecting which to use?

Just been on the Amazon site to check - it does specify:

Amazon Hub Locker

Merseyrail - Rock Ferry station, Bedford Road, Wirral, Merseyside, CH42 2AT
FREE delivery available

Mon-Sat: 05:30 - 23:59
Sun: 07:30 - 23:59

Directions
Locker is located on the platform next to the bike shed

matt_world2004

Established Member
Just been on the Amazon site to check - it does specify:

Amazon Hub Locker

Merseyrail - Rock Ferry station, Bedford Road, Wirral, Merseyside, CH42 2AT
FREE delivery available

Mon-Sat: 05:30 - 23:59
Sun: 07:30 - 23:59

Directions
Locker is located on the platform next to the bike shed
As it's next to the bikeshed surely the platform staff let people through anyway to pick up their bikes. They do at Paddington even if the person doesn't have a ticket for the service that serves the platform

packermac

As it's next to the bikeshed surely the platform staff let people through anyway to pick up their bikes. They do at Paddington even if the person doesn't have a ticket for the service that serves the platform
I would assume the "bike shed" is for passengers to leave their bike before travelling, i.e. someone with a ticket. Not sure the details given from the Amazon site would make it clear to any non rail user (or I suspect many rail users) that you would might not be able to gain access.

L401CJF

Established Member
I would assume the "bike shed" is for passengers to leave their bike before travelling, i.e. someone with a ticket. Not sure the details given from the Amazon site would make it clear to any non rail user (or I suspect many rail users) that you would might not be able to gain access.
The bike shed is a secure lockup where passengers can leave their bikes. Most Merseyrail stations have them, you have to fill out a form to apply for an access fob for the stations you use if I remember rightly.

T-Karmel

There's also the lost property office at Heathrow T3, which is inside the gateline if I remember correctly. I'm sure they must have a procedure for this sort of thing.
As matt_world2004 said, you can use a Free Train Transfer ticket to enter and exit at the same station, that will also come as instruction from any member of staff at that location.

It is also not a compulsory ticket area and as per local arrangements there is no ticket inspectors allowed to work in that area. Passenger arriving wishing to pay for his journey will be directed to a member of staff or to a ticket machine inside the barriers (downstairs) or otherwise will be let out as gateline staff is not associated to any of the TOCs arriving there and are instructed to not hold people inside barriers. They need to simply let them go.

Bike storage on platforms 10&11 (inside the barriers) is for valid Gold Card holders only. For anyone else there's shed on platforms 8&9 which has no gateline.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As matt_world2004 said, you can use a Free Train Transfer ticket to enter and exit at the same station, that will also come as instruction from any member of staff at that location.
Are these generally available other than at Heathrow?

T-Karmel

Are these generally available other than at Heathrow?
No, that's specifically made by and for Heathrow as both Heathrow Express and TfL Rail are providing free inter terminal transfer between 3 Heathrow stations. They've been introduced after barriers were put in place for TfL Rail arrival 3 years ago.

For as far as I know, there is no other place having free journeys on any part of the line in the UK rather than entire line (like Birmingham Airport shuttle which is just free). Apart of the Underground used for journeys between Heathrow terminals, where journey is free but only if you use Oyster or contactless for that journey. LUL accepts free travels between terminals without Oyster or contactless in times of disruption on a railways though.

packermac

No, that's specifically made by and for Heathrow as both Heathrow Express and TfL Rail are providing free inter terminal transfer between 3 Heathrow stations. They've been introduced after barriers were put in place for TfL Rail arrival 3 years ago.

For as far as I know, there is no other place having free journeys on any part of the line in the UK rather than entire line (like Birmingham Airport shuttle which is just free). Apart of the Underground used for journeys between Heathrow terminals, where journey is free but only if you use Oyster or contactless for that journey. LUL accepts free travels between terminals without Oyster or contactless in times of disruption on a railways though.
Never realised was free with an Oyster. £5.50 cash is a bit steep though.

T-Karmel

Never realised was free with an Oyster. £5.50 cash is a bit steep though.
Don't know for how long it is a case that Piccadilly is free between terminals but at least for last 5 years, possibly for much longer than this.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
It was supposed to be withdrawn this year but for some reason it still is free using Oyster. Don't know for how long it is a case but at least for last 5 years, possibly for much longer than this.
It is going to remain free for the Piccadilly line on Oyster for knter terminal transfer it is the buses that are going paid. Access to terminal 5 Piccadilly line is through some private public partnership arrangment where tfl pays lower track access fees for free inter terminal travel.

T-Karmel

It is going to remain free for the Piccadilly line on Oyster for knter terminal transfer it is the buses that are going paid. Access to terminal 5 Piccadilly line is through some private public partnership arrangment where tfl pays lower track access fees for free inter terminal travel.
Thank you for clarifying. I'll edit my comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.