• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that used to be common place in people’s homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Do people still use bars of soap nowadays. Used to be a pretty standard item by the sink and bathtub but nowadays I believe it’s all liquid antibacterial handwash and shower gels.
Pears or Simple, Dove at a stretch. Would probably buy Lifeguard if I ever saw it around!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Pears or Simple, Dove at a stretch. Would probably buy Lifeguard if I ever saw it around!
Still very much available overseas. Saw it when I was home recently, though the scent isn't as strong as it used to be.

takno

Established Member
I used to like lemon zest, but it turned the bathroom yellow eventually.
That's my problem with solid soap generally. My flatmate uses it and trying to keep the shower walls clean is a nightmare

Bevan Price

Established Member
I use bars of soap. They are cheaper than the liquid alternative, last longer and involve less waste plastic.

Plus you can store the unused bars in your sock drawer to make your socks smell nice!
All the bars of soap I have used in recent years seem to swell (slowly) and then start to split.
Does anyone know a brand of soap that does not do this ?

py_megapixel

Established Member
I quite like Pears.
I also like the scent and the feeling of using 'Faith in Nature' soaps, except that they seem to exacerbate a problem I have where some of the skin on my hands becomes dried-out and sore, so I don't use them.

The best soap I've used came from a health-food shop in Germany and I've not been able to find it in the UK unfortunately. It was a bar soap containing olive oil - it didn't smell of much, but it did an effective job of cleaning my hands and also helped with the aforementioned dry skin (I've since discovered that just applying olive oil to said skin also works but it's more of a faff).

DelayRepay

Established Member
You have to look quite hard for bars of soap these days. Quite fond of Pears and Carbolic , but the family do not agree.
I've never struggled to find soap. The supermarkets sell it, as do pound shops, places like B&M etc.

The only time I struggled was when the world went crazy in March 2020, when there was no soap of any kind available due to the panic buying. But it didn't last long and in my local supermarket bars of soap returned before the liquid soaps did.

Grumpus63

It seems that a rare sight nowadays is a shaving soap stick (like Palmolive or Cussons). Presumably they had some ingredient that was deemed as destroying the planet so have been withdrawn as I haven't seen these available in supermarkets for a couple of years. Instead I bought an "essentials" aerosol can of shaving cream (hardly saving, nor shaving, the planet either) but have since settled for getting soap shaving sticks brand name ARKO (through Amazon) which are fine. Posh relatives look at my shaving paraphernalia in the bathroom and shake their heads at the sight of the shaving soap stick and then faint away completely that I use common BIC razors ;).

As for regular soap I reverted to using bars during the COVID months, these being an antibacterial brand called CIDAL which is reassuring if nothing else.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
It seems to be impossible to buy replacement razor blades cartridges that only have two blades: they all seem to have four or five. The disposable Bic razors only have two blades, so you are left with the choice of wasting either the plastic in the disposable or the metal in the excessive number of blades.

i also use Cidal soap, which has the advantage of being almost unscented.

eMeS

An item I remember well from my childhood is an open bar electric fire.
I started piano lessons around the end of WWII and we lived in a typical 3 bed semi to the SW of Manchester. We lived in the kitchen & back room with an open coal fire; and the piano was in the front room, and the only heating there was a one bar electric fire, with a cylindrical reflector. The heater plugged in to a socket in the hallway outside, and there was nothing more than a stiff wire keeping dressing gowns etc. off the open electric bar. In the winter I frequently needed mittens to allow my fingers to do some of the piano exercises.

Gloster

Established Member
Which reminds me of something that you still see, but I wish we didn’t: ice on the inside of the window.

trebor79

Established Member
It seems to be impossible to buy replacement razor blades cartridges that only have two blades: they all seem to have four or five. The disposable Bic razors only have two blades, so you are left with the choice of wasting either the plastic in the disposable or the metal in the excessive number of blades.
I converted to a double edged safety razor a year or so ago. much cheaper and a really comfortable shave.

Grumpus63

Which reminds me of something that you still see, but I wish we didn’t: ice on the inside of the window.
Yes, and scraping it off with a thumbnail. Then rushing downstairs as a kid to see dad still trying to draw the coal fire by holding a sheet of newspaper in front of it.....

PeterC

Established Member
Yes, and scraping it off with a thumbnail. Then rushing downstairs as a kid to see dad still trying to draw the coal fire by holding a sheet of newspaper in front of it.....
I used to love watching my dad drawing the fire when I was a boy.

dgl

Established Member
Wall mounted kitchen gadgets, such as knife sharpeners and bottle openers, gas pokers and Superser gas heaters (which are still available in a more generic form), and lastly home organs, although I do actually own a Yamaha HS-8 home organ.

Talking of coal fires, we used to have an open fire which used Glowco (not sure of the spelling) My mum used to use crumpled newspaper to light the kindling wood to light the coke. Usually this was OK but about that time the newspapers started coloured pages, which, when removed from the bulk of the paper were 4 pages which were covered in ink and completely different from all the other sheets. The issue was, that for some reason, the coloured sheets just didn't burn the same way as the plain ones and caused issues starting the fire. Try is I might to explain to my mum that she shouldn't use the coloured sheets, it fell on deaf ears.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Wall mounted kitchen gadgets, such as knife sharpeners and bottle openers, gas pokers and Superser gas heaters (which are still available in a more generic form), and lastly home organs, although I do actually own a Yamaha HS-8 home organ.
I remember my grandparents having a wall-mounted can opener. I'm seriously considering getting one for myself as occasionally I can't manage a hand-held one.

Status
Not open for further replies.