• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that used to be common place in people’s homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth

Established Member
I miss the satisfying "clunk" you got from them. My parents had their house rewired when they moved in, back in 1980, but there was still the odd legacy fitting disconnected but not removed. Hours of fun.

A school friend's parents still had them up until a couple of years or so back but finally had the place rewired when the landing light stopped working one day. Disappointing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattA7

Anyone mentioned the old single glazed windows particularly the sliding sash windows? Apparently great in hot weather as you can open both the top and bottom part causing hot air to exit the top and cool air to enter the bottom.

bulding regs prohibit the installation of single glazed windows unless the building is listed or in a conservation area

takno

Established Member
Anyone mentioned the old single glazed windows particularly the sliding sash windows? Apparently great in hot weather as you can open both the top and bottom part causing hot air to exit the top and cool air to enter the bottom.

bulding regs prohibit the installation of single glazed windows unless the building is listed or in a conservation area
I've got old single-glazed sash windows now, and for 8 months of the year they are indeed great. Moving to a new flat soon that has double glazed replacement sash windows that still do the top and bottom trick, which is nice

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I certainly remember having sash windows in our old house, along with a collection of wooden blocks that were used to keep them open. I don't ever remember the top parts opening, but that could have had something to do with years of paint rather than them not being designed to do so.

takno

Established Member
I certainly remember having sash windows in our old house, along with a collection of wooden blocks that were used to keep them open. I don't ever remember the top parts opening, but that could have had something to do with years of paint rather than them not being designed to do so.
A lot of them are either painted shut or nailed shut to save on the (tiny) cost of maintaining the sash cords. If you had the bottom halves propped with boxes then I'd guess the latter.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A lot of them are either painted shut or nailed shut to save on the (tiny) cost of maintaining the sash cords. If you had the bottom halves propped with boxes then I'd guess the latter.

Would this be a fire safety hazard if the windows are painted shut, as there would be no means to get out of a room in the event of a fire?

Similar also applies with metal bars in front of windows too.

najaB

Veteran Member
Would this be a fire safety hazard if the windows are painted shut, as there would be no means to get out of a room in the event of a fire?
Not many people would be going out the top, rather than the bottom, half of a sash window.

gg1

Established Member
In fact even the more modern square version that was still a flick switch seem to be in decline. More positive than a rocker switch imo.
My parents house I grew up in the 80s had both, a few light switches were the old style style flick switches but most were the more modern rocker switches. The house itself was built in the 60s. I never gave it much thought at the time but looking back it seems an odd mix for a house which was too young to have been rewired.

najaB

Veteran Member
I never gave it much thought at the time but looking back it seems an odd mix for a house which was too young to have been rewired.
Perhaps they didn't replace the existing electrics but added new circuits.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone mentioned the old single glazed windows particularly the sliding sash windows?
I remember single glazed windows that had later had another pane of glass added on the window sill to create a sort of double glazed window. You then slid the inner pane to one side to get access to the actual window.

jfollows

Established Member
Getting a bit off topic, but I had two-week timetables from age 13 (Year 9) at two different schools. At one school, the timetable was completely different each week, though at the other, there were very few differences between each of the two weeks. There first school had an antiquated timetable, based around the structure of the school when it was smaller, which no longer had any meaning when I was there.
Agreed that it's a bit off topic, but you remind me that we had a 6-day timetable at Manchester Grammar School in the 1970s. First day of new year was "day 1" and it cycled from there, so there were a few signs around the school which displayed which day it was in the cycle, presumably Wilf's job to set them up at the start of each new school day. Then the timetable had 6 days of 6 lessons each day. Day "N" was sports afternoon for year "N", for years 1-5 anyway.
Someone must have thought it was a good idea at some point prior to 1973 (when I started) and we all accepted the system, and I don't really remember it being a problem, but then we didn't really think about it. I'm sure there were some things, primarily extra-curricular activities, which took place on named weekdays as well.

341o2

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned Andrews Liver Salts or the cycling proficiency badge

najaB

Veteran Member
I remember single glazed windows that had later had another pane of glass added on the window sill to create a sort of double glazed window. You then slid the inner pane to one side to get access to the actual window.
Secondary glazing is quite common in those conservation areas noted above. One former workmate wasn't allowed to fit new double glazing so had to get secondary glazing instead. Better than nothing but still pretty cold in the winter.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Secondary glazing is quite common in those conservation areas noted above. One former workmate wasn't allowed to fit new double glazing so had to get secondary glazing instead. Better than nothing but still pretty cold in the winter.
Secondary glazing! That's the phrase I was trying to remember! Yes my bedroom growing up started off life with secondary glazing (not a conservation area my parents just hadn't had double glazing fitted so the house still had it's 1960s era wooden framed single glazed windows) and I tell you what when it did get proper double glazing it was like a whole new world come the first winter! :lol:

MattA7

I’ve always been skeptical if double glazing makes much difference or if it’s just a way of companies making more money out of people.

I once lived in a flat with brand new single glazed windows as it was a listed building however the old ones supposedly deteriorated beyond repair according to the landlord. However the windows were perfectly fine due to the draught proof seals etc.

takno

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned Andrews Liver Salts or the cycling proficiency badge
You can still get Andrews Liver Salts. My old flatmate used to swear by them as a hangover cure, but I never really saw the value

takno

Established Member
I’ve always been skeptical if double glazing makes much difference or if it’s just a way of companies making more money out of people.

I once lived in a flat with brand new single glazed windows as it was a listed building however the old ones supposedly deteriorated beyond repair according to the landlord. However the windows were perfectly fine due to the draught proof seals etc.
If you go from poorly-sealed windows to well-sealed single-glazed then you'll likely see more impact than going from single glazing to double. The transition to double may not be that noticeable at all unless you tend to spend a lot of time close to the windows, or very carefully track your heating bills.

MattA7

If you go from poorly-sealed windows to well-sealed single-glazed then you'll likely see more impact than going from single glazing to double. The transition to double may not be that noticeable at all unless you tend to spend a lot of time close to the windows, or very carefully track your heating bills.

my existing flat has very poorly sealed double glazing (you can see daylight through some of the gaps) and in the windy weather you need to have the heating on 24/7. Reported it to the landlord but keep getting fobbed of with “I’ll sort it later”

najaB

Veteran Member
If you go from poorly-sealed windows to well-sealed single-glazed then you'll likely see more impact than going from single glazing to double.
my existing flat has very poorly sealed double glazing (you can see daylight through some of the gaps) and in the windy weather you need to have the heating on 24/7.
True. Bad double-glazing will be worse than good single glazing. It doesn't matter how many panes of glass there are if air can bypass the window unit entirely.

birchesgreen

Established Member
True. Bad double-glazing will be worse than good single glazing. It doesn't matter how many panes of glass there are if air can bypass the window unit entirely.
Yes thats the problem i have, triple glazing in most rooms but i can feel the draughts around the frames.

Trackman

Established Member
You can still get Andrews Liver Salts. My old flatmate used to swear by them as a hangover cure, but I never really saw the value
Do they still call them 'Liver' salts?
Anyway last time I took them I was in a right to-do, so never again.
I have similar problem at Trackman HQ, think it may be a silicon seal problem. .. need to investigate further.
---
Back to the subject..
Have we had hired TVs and coin operated TVs yet?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've got old single-glazed sash windows now, and for 8 months of the year they are indeed great. Moving to a new flat soon that has double glazed replacement sash windows that still do the top and bottom trick, which is nice
I live in an 18th century three floored property, the first and second floors of which are basically the living accommodation, and the two first floor front windows are of the sash variety, each containing twelve separate panes of rectangular glass. Many years ago, when a passing yob threw a bottle through one of the panes, the glazier was of the opinion that the glass shattered was from the 19th century. It's a listed building, by the way, Grade 2, and used to have a third set of windows which have certainly been bricked up for well over a century, based on an old photo.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Yes thats the problem i have, triple glazing in most rooms but i can feel the draughts around the frames.
First thing to do is to replace the hinges as they become worn out and rickety thus no longer ensuring the openers close properly. UPVC replacement window hinges are easy to get. That is a spare part that still exists these days unlike other parts !.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Working triple glazing is an impressive beast though for containing heat. We had to have the some old double glazed windows replaced in two rooms a few years ago and the price difference between a double glazed unit or triple wasn't that much more so opted for triple. First cold day after fitting and opened the curtains to be confronted with condensation, cue much under the breath swearing about how they can't be knackered already, upon investigation the condensation was on the outside of the window and a quick google confirmed that that would be a result of them being so efficient at stopping heating transfer from the house that the condensation wouldn't "burn" off until the sun or wind caught it!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Working triple glazing is an impressive beast though for containing heat. We had to have the some old double glazed windows replaced in two rooms a few years ago and the price difference between a double glazed unit or triple wasn't that much more so opted for triple. First cold day after fitting and opened the curtains to be confronted with condensation, cue much under the breath swearing about how they can't be knackered already, upon investigation the condensation was on the outside of the window and a quick google confirmed that that would be a result of them being so efficient at stopping heating transfer from the house that the condensation wouldn't "burn" off until the sun or wind caught it!
I’m getting that on a couple of my back windows and patio doors that don’t get morning sun. They‘re fairly recent - 5 years or so - but only double. Condensation on the outside does look odd the first time you notice it…

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m getting that on a couple of my back windows and patio doors that don’t get morning sun. They‘re fairly recent - 5 years or so - but only double. Condensation on the outside does look odd the first time you notice it…
I think it does also happen with good modern double glazed windows as well to be fair but for us it just wasn't something that had happened before with any of our double glazed windows even when new!

Jimini

Established Member
One that's just occurred to me (not sure if it's mentioned upthread) is people answering their home phones by calling out their own phone number. That seemed to fall by the wayside maybe around the late '90s / early '00s (in my experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.