• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things you don’t see outside any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Following on from the ‘Things that used to be commonplace in the home’ thread, shall we continue with the nostalgia? This was inspired by this quote:

Ah, the pissoir. Something that used to provide a whiff of old France, although that wasn’t the only thing it provided a whiff off.

and I remember there used to be a lot of public Gents urinals, which were little more than a wall, with a bit of a curved entrance so people couldn’t see inside, and a drain. They usually - not surprisingly - stunk of stale urine, but were very convenient, as it were. The last example I can remember using was at Hawes, maybe twenty years ago, though this was ingeniously somehow built inside a wall.

Yellow sodium lamps with a sort of ‘box’ for the electrics at the bottom.

Dustmen and coalmen actually carrying metal bins and sacks on their backs.

I’m sure you’ll be able to think of many more things that were common outside that we hardly see any more. They could be structures, people, anything you think interesting. And a Happy New Year.

Edit: I found a picture

1640990674681.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There's a pissoir outside Vauxhall station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's a pissoir outside Vauxhall station.

Have a friend who lived on the Kingston loop. With no loos on the stations or the 455's. The bog at Vauxhall bus station was the only place between there and Kings Cross with a toilet.

My goodness, was I relieved of that !

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Have a friend who lived on the Kingston loop. With no loos on the stations or the 455's. The bog at Vauxhall bus station was the only place between there and Kings Cross with a toilet.

My goodness, was I relieved of that !
The gents at Vauxhall bus station is what I would describe as for 'emergency use only'.

Non Multi

I thought pissoirs had made something of a small comeback in certain town and city centres, after the closure of many council lavatories. I'm sure I saw a GRP one in Reading town centre earlier this year.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The gents at Vauxhall bus station is what I would describe as for 'emergency use only'.

And when you're going from the Kingston Loop to the Cross of an evening, it's an emergency :)

I thought pissoirs had made something of a small comeback in certain town and city centres, after the closure of many council lavatories. I'm sure I saw a GRP one in Reading town centre earlier this year.

They ought to IMO.

johnnychips

Established Member
I did read somewhere that urinals appeared out of the ground in the evening in London to prevent wayside peeing, though I might have dreamt it. There was one outside Brussel Zuid that we used till quite recently. It always had a beer can in the target area, so one hand held your nose, while the other…

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I did read somewhere that urinals appeared out of the ground in the evening in London to prevent wayside peeing, though I might have dreamt it.

They experimented with some in Leeds for a while. Got cut back due to cost.

They want the dosh from people buying drinks, but they don't want to cough up to give people somewhere to pee

Gloster

Established Member
Those gents urinals at festivals. A baggy wall of hessian held up by old beanpoles and a drainpipe that was slightly raised at one. The produce was supposed to run out through a hole in the hessian at one end and then drain away into a trench that probably led to a muddy ditch. The smell emanating from the ditch after a day or two was...

And there were those plastic portable toilets that, looked at from the top, like tear drops. They were adequate (just) if properly supported at the back, but all the human comings and goings would shift them about until some poor girl would find it tipping over and herself soaked in the contents.

Those who get dreamy eyed about seeing bands like Deep Purple and Procol Harum should remember what it was really like.

Non Multi

I've certainly not seen a battery powered milk float in a very long time, they've been replaced by diesel Ford Transits locally.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Those gents urinals at festivals. A baggy wall of hessian held up by old beanpoles and a drainpipe that was slightly raised at one. The produce was supposed to run out through a hole in the hessian at one end and then drain away into a trench that probably led to a muddy ditch. The smell emanating from the ditch after a day or two was...

And there were those plastic portable toilets that, looked at from the top, like tear drops. They were adequate (just) if properly supported at the back, but all the human comings and goings would shift them about until some poor girl would find it tipping over and herself soaked in the contents.

Those who get dreamy eyed about seeing bands like Deep Purple and Procol Harum should remember what it was really like.

I've only been to one festival and that had portaloos, but I must admit, a wall of hessian isn't the first thing I'd think of to produce a bog !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Was that somebody’s rival to Sky like Betamax and VHS? I have a very vague memory of it.

I think it was BSB's answer to the satellite dish as far as I Remember ! It's a bit hazy as my family only had terrestrial at the time !

(We'd had cable in the past - rediffusion with a dial on the wall, but had given it up in favour of a video recorder).

Last edited:

Non Multi

Car window stickers from radio stations that state their operating band and frequency.

johnnychips

Established Member
I would say ‘Rag and Bone’ men who collected any possible reusable stuff, but in Doncaster, there are still a few people who go round in a truck and collect scrap metal weekly, their megaphone blaring down the street. Does anybody else have that? Not noticed it in Sheffield yet.

Non Multi

I would say ‘Rag and Bone’ men who collected any possible reusable stuff, but in Doncaster, there are still a few people who go round in a truck and collect scrap metal weekly, their megaphone blaring down the street. Does anybody else have that? Not noticed it in Sheffield yet.
They made a comeback for a bit here when the price of scrap went bananas a decade or so ago. They'd cruise around in their Transit tipper vans ringing a small, loud bell when they were hunting for scrap.

johnnychips

Established Member
Car window stickers from radio stations that state their operating band and frequency.
That’s a superb observation. They even used to offer them as prizes: ‘the first twenty people who ring in and tell us whether a giraffe is a mammal or a fish will win one of our super spectacular stickers’.

PG

Established Member
Tax discs in (usually) the bottom of the nearside windscreen, though some older cars still have the last one issued still in place when the owner hasn't bothered to remove it!

Status
Not open for further replies.