• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Third Rail Insulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Hi, I am wondering about something. When I walk home from school, I cross the railway and then walk parallel to it for about 30m. There is the line, then a fence and then the pavement (as shown in diagram). What looks like (and I think is) a third rail insulator on the pavement side of the fence. It has been there since at least last October (!) and I was wondering whether I would be allowed to pick it up as it is just sitting there? I am asking simply to find out if Im allowed/whether its legal?

If it is, I will probably pick it up tomorrow on the way home from school. I would really love to be able to have one!!

And if not, could I at least take a piece of ballast that is on the pavement?

Thanks for your help/advice.

Attachments

• Insulator Salvage.jpg
    Insulator Salvage.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Assuming that the pavement / road is not railway property - which sounds like the case given that you walk down it - and that the pot is on that pavemnet then you can treat it as litter, be a good citizen and clear it up.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Strictly speaking it is still property of Network Rail, but I can't see them wanting it back.

455driver

Veteran Member
Probably a spare pot which has been placed there "just in case" an in use pot breaks, it saves the crews hunting around for a replacement when ones needed.

of course it might be a broken pot which has been thrown away.

snowball

Established Member
Probably a spare pot which has been placed there "just in case" an in use pot breaks, it saves the crews hunting around for a replacement when ones needed.

But surely they would have left it on NR land, not the public street?

TrainBoy98

It is on the pavement, and there is two my friend I formed me last night. One is whole, but rusted and looks like scrap, the other is in two parts (broken?) but looks newer. I will be a good citizen then and pick it up :D

455driver

Veteran Member
But surely they would have left it on NR land, not the public street?

Good point, I looked at the map wrong, sounds like you need to "do your bit" and pick the litter up before someone else does, personally I would have picked it up there and then if it was on public property. ;)

Monty

Established Member
Good point, I looked at the map wrong, sounds like you need to "do your bit" and pick the litter up before someone else does, personally I would have picked it up there and then if it was on public property. ;)

I certainly would of, they make cracking door stops! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.