• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket issuing oddities

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I have just booked a trip from London to Brum for four of us.

As my mate's brother in law has never been on a Pendalino before, we are going up on a weekday on the 1003 from Eus with VTWC and coming back on Chiltern from BMO to MYB on the 1555 which I hope is going to be loco hauled.

I have booked and travelled many times with both the above TOCs and in recent years have been given the option to issue an e-ticket at home, VTWC did give me that choice this time too, but the ticket looks alot different, it is a sort of strip down down the middle of the page, there are different ticket numbers and bar codes on each one. Are VT changing the look of their tickets?
I booked to Northwest England a few weeks ago for travelling in a few weeks and the e-tickets where not like that.

Then the Chiltern system would not give me an option to print e-tickets, it did offer me the choice to have them issued from some ticket machines, but for some reason my local station was not offered this time, although it always has been upto now.

However, they offered to post the tickets to me first class which they did and they arrived the next day. Just seemed a bit odd not to offer e-tickets or pick up at all TVMs, (My local stn is SHP in SWTland.) I have picked up many tickets there although they may not have been starting from there, if I have been using a season ticket etc.

My mate's sister wants to visit a new shopping complex near New Street called Grand Central, does this replace the Bull Ring and Pallasades? Meanwhile I shall try to find a nice pub near by for lunch and look forward to the loco hauled return. I may try a short tram ride too as I think they now go from New Street.?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bookd

If you fancy a choice of 17 real ales with your lunch I suggest The Wellington, in Bennett's Hill just off New Street - see their website for details!

Jordy

Established Member
The 15:55 is indeed booked loco hauled so you should be in luck. As for trams, you're right - these are now running to New Street.

centraltrains

Can't you buy most tickets from any TOC, and your local TOC should offer collection at your local station for all concerned journies?

6Gman

Established Member
Good morning,

My mate's sister wants to visit a new shopping complex near New Street called Grand Central, does this replace the Bull Ring and Pallasades?

Grand Central isn't near New Street, it is New Street.

It's built on top of it.

:D

LowLevel

Established Member
I have a sneaky suspicion that when all is said and done with the rebuild New Street station will also become Grand Central to finally bury the mental image of the old concrete pit like Manchester Piccadilly from London Road. Naturally I could be totally wrong though!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Can't you buy most tickets from any TOC, and your local TOC should offer collection at your local station for all concerned journies?

Yes, well that is what I thought and have done many times in the past, this is the first time this has happened, maybe just an odd glitch/gremlins.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have a sneaky suspicion that when all is said and done with the rebuild New Street station will also become Grand Central to finally bury the mental image of the old concrete pit like Manchester Piccadilly from London Road. Naturally I could be totally wrong though!

I wonder if that would cause confusion with the TOC that operates to Sunderland and Bradford and also the station in New York USA with that name, entering Grand Central to another town in the UK that also exists in the USA such as Richmond/Plymouth/Boston just for a few examples could lead to some odd things occurring. (A similar thing happened some years ago with a hotel in Pickering North York having the same name as a hotel in Guangzhou(Canton) in China, when being booked by a traveler in the USA, who booked online for the Chinese hotel, but when they arrived there they had no booking, it turned out they had booked the place in Yorkshire.

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
As far as I know the only reason for selecting a station to collect from is to prevent people wanting to collect tickets from stations which do not have TVMs. In my experience there's no restriction to that station, and said tickets can subsequently be collected from any station.

I suspect in this case, either the site you were booking in are not using the up to date list, or the station managing TOC for Shepperton (SWT?) have erroneously not included/removed it from the list.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's very, very rare to get anything other than a loco hauled set on the 15:55 so you should be OK.

deltic

Established Member

There was a desire to rename New Street stn Grand Central but the developer baulked at the cost of doing so

Status
Not open for further replies.