• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets on "set down" only trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlowDonkey

A question raised on a more general non-railway discussion forum.

You have a ticket for travel from A to B. You catch a train from A which is designated "pick up only" at B. You are challenged whilst on the train between A and B. Is your ticket valid?

If you think this might be about Reading commuters on HSTs, you are probably correct, although the specific query was about Slough and in the context of the final destination, more likely a 180 or a 166.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A question raised on a more general non-railway discussion forum.

You have a ticket for travel from A to B. You catch a train from A which is designated "pick up only" at B. You are challenged whilst on the train between A and B. Is your ticket valid?.

In a word, no.

Rover

I've always wondered in this situation what they can actually do to stop you getting off - force you to get back on? Yes your ticket is invalid and you can be excessed to the next stop but if you pay up and still say you are not getting back on the train there's not a lot can be done.

This then leads to the hypothetical question, if you purchase a ticket from A to C and get off at B which is pick up only, is your ticket then valid? Presumably not as the ticket you require does not exist as no one is permitted to travel from A to B on that train, but if you do get off and refuse to get back on what can they do?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Not a lot, but let's say the train departed A running full and standing with no further capacity for anybody else. As a Guard I'd be telling control, it has been known in the past for "pick up only" stops to be skipped in such circumstances. You'd then potentially be carried many miles beyond your intended destination without a valid ticket and in such circumstances you may find it difficult for your ticket to get endorsed. I know this happened to some Reading commuters recently who felt boarding a "pick up only" at Reading service was their best choice.

Rover

Not a lot, but let's say the train departed A running full and standing with no further capacity for anybody else. As a Guard I'd be telling control, it has been known in the past for "pick up only" stops to be skipped in such circumstances. You'd then potentially be carried many miles beyond your intended destination without a valid ticket and in such circumstances you may find it difficult for your ticket to get endorsed. I know this happened to some Reading commuters recently who felt boarding a "pick up only" at Reading service was their best choice.

Yes, you'd be taking a chance that nothing untoward went wrong.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...You catch a train from A which is designated "pick up only" at B. You are challenged whilst on the train between A and B. Is your ticket valid?

Perhaps you could edit the thread title as well? You'll need to be in advanced edit mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.