• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Time warp PIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelW

Established Member
Travelling on a GWR North Downs line train this evening, the normal scrolling list of stations was followed by a message for pax "travelling this Christmas". It then warned of NR works at London and Cardiff, and recommended visiting a website "GWR.com/Christmas 2016". Where might that have been dug up from?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MG11

Travelling on a GWR North Downs line train this evening, the normal scrolling list of stations was followed by a message for pax "travelling this Christmas". It then warned of NR works at London and Cardiff, and recommended visiting a website "GWR.com/Christmas 2016". Where might that have been dug up from?
Some PISs do occasionally give out of date information. When F Hull Ts acquired the Adelantes, I recall one unit announcing Weston Milton a FGW station as we approached Selby. Northern ex-merseyrail units have the same issue too, Liverpool Lime Street was announced at Chinley IIRC. I'd hazard a guess that what you encountered was either a software bug or a bad job at updating the PISs.

squizzler

Established Member
Just this morning the display at Tywyn was advising passengers that a revised timetable would be in force on 2 March due to weather related disruption.

Established Member
I saw a post on Facebook earlier of the new PiS at Hull, proudly displaying 'Welcome to Stalybridge'...

GW43125

Established Member
I saw a post on Facebook earlier of the new PiS at Hull, proudly displaying 'Welcome to Stalybridge'...

The one in the bay at Hayes & Harlington is reading “welcome to West Drayton”

embers25

Established Member
Currently on 1003 from Gatwick to Reading formed of a refurbed 165 with power points. The scrolling message is helpfully advising passengers to check if travelling to London or Cardiff as major work will be taking place over Christmas 2016!!!

Also it's nuts that passengers are advised to not get GTR at 0953 and cross over for next GEX (GTR) at 1000 delaying them unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Any_Permitted

Haha, I remember seeing that exact message when I travelled with GWR between Didcot Parkway and Oxford back in February. They're a bit behind the curve!

JN114

Established Member
Currently on 1003 from Gatwick to Reading formed of a refurbed 165 with power points. The scrolling message is helpfully advising passengers to check if travelling to London or Cardiff as major work will be taking place over Christmas 2016!!!

Also it's nuts that passengers are advised to not get GTR at 0953 and cross over for next GEX (GTR) at 1000 delaying them unnecessarily.

Did you report it to the Guard at the time? Alternatively do you have a unit number?

Melancholia

I believe this issue has been reported to GWR multiple times via Twitter and to on board staff. However it seems like the decision to fix it is certainly not a priority.

Maybe it's a message for our time travellers? :D

Parallel

Established Member
I find the screens on the Turbos just tend to show whatever they want. The automated announcements were getting it right as was the first screen. The second screen was saying “Welcome aboard this Great Western Railway Service”, the third was saying “Welcome aboard this service to Gloucester. We’ll be calling at Yate, Cam & Dursley and Gloucester” and the fourth was just not working at all. And this was a service en route to Weymouth :lol:

JN114

Established Member
I believe this issue has been reported to GWR multiple times via Twitter and to on board staff. However it seems like the decision to fix it is certainly not a priority.

Maybe it's a message for our time travellers? :D

Twitter tell the depots; but if the message is still active for that unit on the database there’s nothing for them to fix. That’s not either parties’ fault - A are instructed to pass all fleet issues to B; B see that the train is being sent a message and the train is correctly displaying the message - no fault found.

The database is managed by control staff, if I can get a unit number I can speak directly to the correct person at work tomorrow and at least see if my suspicions on why it’s still showing are correct. Otherwise I can then fault the unit internally with a lot more detail as to exactly what is going wrong.

JN114

Established Member
I find the screens on the Turbos just tend to show whatever they want. The automated announcements were getting it right as was the first screen. The second screen was saying “Welcome aboard this Great Western Railway Service”, the third was saying “Welcome aboard this service to Gloucester. We’ll be calling at Yate, Cam & Dursley and Gloucester” and the fourth was just not working at all. And this was a service en route to Weymouth :lol:

In theory they should all say the same thing, simultaneously. The messages are generated by the PIS controller in the active cab (including transmission to any coupled units). By your description; it sounds like a combination of incorrect journey code being used (typo either on driver’s diagram or by whichever crew member entered the code); a screen that was working but couldn’t connect to the PIS controller (hence default/generic Welcome Aboard message); and a screen that was broken (hence blank).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There are still a few units going around that haven't had the latest PIS software updates with the newer "IET" voice.
The newer “IET” voice is that of Janine Cooper-Marshall, she is progressively replacing the former short-lived voice of Faye Dicker who has voiced since 2015.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't know if it's still around but until recently there was a class 365 unit that would still say:

Welcome aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to ..... :D

Parallel

Established Member
I don't know if it's still around but until recently there was a class 365 unit that would still say:

Welcome aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to ..... :D
One of the ex-LM 153s was saying “Welcome to First Great Western” when I was on it last year. Another time it had “Class 158” :D

In theory they should all say the same thing, simultaneously. The messages are generated by the PIS controller in the active cab (including transmission to any coupled units). By your description; it sounds like a combination of incorrect journey code being used (typo either on driver’s diagram or by whichever crew member entered the code); a screen that was working but couldn’t connect to the PIS controller (hence default/generic Welcome Aboard message); and a screen that was broken (hence blank).
Interesting - I’ve noticed this on a few units on my return commute have done this. I’ll try and keep a note.

plymothian

TrainFX is not an infallible system, and with everything, GIGO; sometimes it gets lost when the GPS link is lost, some trains never had GPS installed in the first place, some carriages get out if sync with the others, some systems run ahead of themselves when the train hasn't even moved, some services never have a code created in the first place, some don't like it if the driver and the guard attempt to set up the route at both ends, some reject valid route codes, some don't handle request stops or short platforms.

Generally, a full master reset by tripping the MCB of each carriage is needed once in a while when digital Doris goes off on one is sufficient but all in all it's bloody infuriating when it goes wrong that it can be more trouble than it's worth.

SEClass375

With some PISs e.g. Class 375(/377), when it is not fully broken, you can manually add a static message such as "Train is for Cannon St".

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Do Class 365s still boot up with a "BREL Class 465" on the PIS? They certainly did prior to the recent refurb

Clansman

Established Member
ScotRail's 158/8 units still announce an automated south English accented safety message after every second station stop, which probably stems back from their Wessex days. It's even compatible onboard 170s when coupled, which has the audacity to override Fletcher Mathers on their PIS' to the extent where it conks out completely and locks onto the last functioning dot matrix display until the system is reset; for example "The next stop is Stirling" being repetitively displayed whilst 200 odd rail miles away at Elgin.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do Class 365s still boot up with a "BREL Class 465" on the PIS? They certainly did prior to the recent refurb

I don't think so, unless the one announcing WAGN services is still around.

D365

Veteran Member

I don't think so, unless the one announcing WAGN services is still around.

The WAGN announcement was reinstated as a temporary measure before the new PIS was installed fleet-wide. As it’s a brand new system I don’t imagine it will display that boot message.

tsr

Established Member
With some PISs e.g. Class 375(/377), when it is not fully broken, you can manually add a static message such as "Train is for Cannon St".

That function no longer works on the overwhelming majority of 377s. It was removed years ago after being abused. Likewise the old option where you could play music from your own device over the train PA (which was completely bizarre).

D365

Veteran Member
Likewise the old option where you could play music from your own device over the train PA (which was completely bizarre).

Interestingly, I’ve seen that function in use on a diesel railcar in Germany. The driver was provided with an Android smartphone to manually select and play the relevant announcements which were saved as audio clips.

Rail Blues

I got the train to Liverpool and the PIS had a message: 'alight here for the Rainhill trials'. True story.

Status
Not open for further replies.