• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Timeline for restoring various services withdrawn due to Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

lione87023

The service between Northampton and Birmingham is still 2tph from December 2021 vice 3phh pre-covid. This also includes the non-running of the previously long standing 0516 NMP-BHM (SX) which hasn't run since March 2020 and was a damned useful train. Also with AWC not increasing their Euston-West Midlands services to 3tph until May 2022 at the earliest it leaves almost 40 minute gaps in the service from BHM to COV as both AWC XX30 and WMT XX33 are the missing services. It's a shame that the different TOCs / NR don't talk to each other when writing reduced timetables.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
The service between Northampton and Birmingham is still 2tph from December 2021 vice 3phh pre-covid. This also includes the non-running of the previously long standing 0516 NMP-BHM (SX) which hasn't run since March 2020 and was a damned useful train. Also with AWC not increasing their Euston-West Midlands services to 3tph until May 2022 at the earliest it leaves almost 40 minute gaps in the service from BHM to COV as both AWC XX30 and WMT XX33 are the missing services. It's a shame that the different TOCs / NR don't talk to each other when writing reduced timetables.

Not much time with timetable changing avery 6 to 8 weeks or so. Also where theDfT are involved I doubt they give much notice of the changes they want to implement.

Goldfish62

Established Member
December's timetable doesn't contain any uplift in XC services. So it's unlikely that anything will change in this regard before May next year - at the earliest.

In all honesty, I'd wager that the current timetable will persist until Avanti release their 221s to XC...
I'm currently on a Manchester to Bournemouth service and despite being 9 coaches it's rammed. The Sunday service on this corridor is pretty much unchanged since pre-pandemic, except back then 4 or 5 coaches would have been the order of the day.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm currently on a Manchester to Bournemouth service and despite being 9 coaches it's rammed. The Sunday service on this corridor is pretty much unchanged since pre-pandemic, except back then 4 or 5 coaches would have been the order of the day.
The Sunday service is half of what it used to be. XC was twice an hour on all four of the main network's "arms", 7 days a week.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Sunday service is half of what it used to be. XC was twice an hour on all four of the main network's "arms", 7 days a week.
Actually, you're right. Not sure where I got that notion from.

Ah, actually the Manchester - Brum corridor is unchanged at 1 tph and that's where the train was at its busiest this afternoon despite having a train twice the length of pre-Covid.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Ah, actually the Manchester - Brum corridor is unchanged at 1 tph and that's where the train was at its busiest this afternoon despite having a train twice the length of pre-Covid.
Manchester-Brum has been 2tph, 7 days a week, ever since the "new XC" timetable was introduced.

Class 170101

Established Member
Manchester-Brum has been 2tph, 7 days a week, ever since the "new XC" timetable was introduced.
Hourly with Covid timetable between Reading and Manchester until at least May 2022 TT change according to Real Time Trains.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Only from early afternoon departing Piccadilly on Sundays.
That's down to it being a two track railway near Piccadilly till lunchtime - but fundamentally it was 2tph.

mangyiscute

Established Member
The ECML York- Newcastle is down two trains per hour compared to before covid: the XC Newcastle-Reading service and the TPE Newcastle-Manchester Airport service. I would not be surprised if neither return before the delayed-May-2022 timetable update happens.
I could be wrong but I think there's still one xc, one TPE and 1 or 2 LNER trains on this route per hour, although admittedly they aren't spaced out too well

Goldfish62

Established Member
That's down to it being a two track railway near Piccadilly till lunchtime - but fundamentally it was 2tph.
Ok, but my point was that the train I caught was during the morning period where the service was always hourly and even though it was twice the length it was still rammed.

Ant158

Is this not a more long term reduction due to capacity problems at Victoria?

(Really it should be half hourly through to Clitheroe all day, considering how long half hourly trains were campaigned for and all the disruption when the Darwen works closed the line a few years ago).

Also what is the capacity now that 150/3 are the mainstay of the route. Up until fairly recently it was a mix of longer carriage Class 156/158 (with a 153 tacked on)?

mrd269697

So 2 weeks after their new timetables were introduced, TFW still haven’t uploaded them online.

Going off RTT, I believe December nothing much is changing except the bidston - Wrexham services will again terminate at Wrexham Central.

Timmyd

Re Southern, I'll be interested to see if the London Bridge-Victoria service ever returns. They seem to have no interest in restoring it and much of the route is covered by either the Overground and other Southern services. However for West Norwood, Gipsy Hill and Crystal Palace, they've gone from 8 trains to central London per hour all day (4 Vic and 4 LBG) to 2 to Victoria plus the cursory 90 min frequency from Beckenham Junction to London Bridge, which has to be one of the most severe service reductions anywhere in % terms.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Is this not a more long term reduction due to capacity problems at Victoria?

(Really it should be half hourly through to Clitheroe all day, considering how long half hourly trains were campaigned for and all the disruption when the Darwen works closed the line a few years ago).
In the long term, the Manchester Recovery Task Force Option B+ (for December 2022 implementation) restores 2tph all day between Rochdale and Blackburn via Darwen.

It remains to be seen if the second train will be in the May 2022 timetable.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Re Southern, I'll be interested to see if the London Bridge-Victoria service ever returns. They seem to have no interest in restoring it and much of the route is covered by either the Overground and other Southern services. However for West Norwood, Gipsy Hill and Crystal Palace, they've gone from 8 trains to central London per hour all day (4 Vic and 4 LBG) to 2 to Victoria plus the cursory 90 min frequency from Beckenham Junction to London Bridge, which has to be one of the most severe service reductions anywhere in % terms.
The London Bridge - London Victoria services will defintley return. The only reason why they are withdrawn at the minute is because of GTR's severe crew shortages.

And they also still run on Saturday's.

Oxfordblues

Yesterday I was at Reading trying to get to Oxford. I had a choice between the 16:14 GWR or the 16:15 Cross-Country. Both were just 5 cars and both were so packed that I could physically board neither train. Sunday must be one of the busiest days of the week yet it has half the weekday service. (I eventually boarded the 16:25 stopper, changing at Didcot)

FenMan

Established Member
I'm still waiting for GWR to plug the 2-hour service gap between the 21:34 and 23:34 North Downs Line departures from Reading, which smacks of operational convenience taking priority over getting their customers to where they want to go - the number of COVID-related cancellations on this line have been minimal to zero.

So, no midweek trips to watch the football at Reading or Maidenhead (or travelling anywhere via Reading when returning mid-evening) for me, for as long as this lasts.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
So 2 weeks after their new timetables were introduced, TFW still haven’t uploaded them online.

Going off RTT, I believe December nothing much is changing except the bidston - Wrexham services will again terminate at Wrexham Central.

TFW posting on Twitter today in response to a question:-

Due to late notice improvements to train times, the issue of timetable booklets and some station posters has been delayed.

I thought these were finalised by September 13th over two weeks ago

TFW posting on Twitter today in response to a question:-

I thought these were finalised by September 13th over two weeks ago
I got the same reply to a query I sent this morning - could be the same tweet.
It's concerning how vague the reply is. Makes you wonder if there is an intention to issue them at all (although I'd really like to be proved wrong.)

Timmyd

The London Bridge - London Victoria services will defintley return. The only reason why they are withdrawn at the minute is because of GTR's severe crew shortages.

And they also still run on Saturday's.
Thanks for the reply. Any idea about Southeastern Beckenham Junction to Blackfriars peak hour trains, while we're at it? A lot of people interchanging at Herne Hill at the moment.

SE also still running only half the usual service Victoria-Bromley South stopping Saturdays and off-peak at the moment, despite restoring most trains on other lines, leading to a lot of overcrowding especially when 4 cars run in the middle of the day on weekdays.

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply. Any idea about Southeastern Beckenham Junction to Blackfriars peak hour trains, while we're at it? A lot of people interchanging at Herne Hill at the moment.
Is that actually causing issues with crowding on either leg?

Peregrine 4903

Established Member

SE also still running only half the usual service Victoria-Bromley South stopping Saturdays and off-peak at the moment, despite restoring most trains on other lines, leading to a lot of overcrowding especially when 4 cars run in the middle of the day on weekdays.
Too be honest, I don't know in regards to the Blackfriars - Beckenham Junction but I dount they will return anytime soon, and perhaps even ever.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm still waiting for GWR to plug the 2-hour service gap between the 21:34 and 23:34 North Downs Line departures from Reading, which smacks of operational convenience taking priority over getting their customers to where they want to go - the number of COVID-related cancellations on this line have been minimal to zero.
I can see an argument for not running the train in the gap between 2134 and 2334 east of Guildford for the foreseeable future but it really ought to be restored as far as Guildford and run back empty to Reading as a first step.

However, it doesn't look like any service in this slot is being restored in the near term given the gap is still there in the December timings.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I can see an argument for not running the train in the gap between 2134 and 2334 east of Guildford for the foreseeable future but it really ought to be restored as far as Guildford and run back empty to Reading as a first step.
What is that argument?

Timmyd

Is that actually causing issues with crowding on either leg?
TLs in the morning are generally standing room only on leaving HNH in the morning now, Tues-Thurs at least, although comfortably busy rather than the previous crush loadings
Too be honest, I don't know in regards to the Blackfriars - Beckenham Junction but I dount they will return anytime soon, and perhaps even ever.
I suspect you are right which is a shame but not a total surprise. Mornings were reasonably well used but evening trains were always pretty lightly loaded pre-Covid, not least because of the difficulty of southbound interchange at Blackfriars

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

So, no midweek trips to watch the football at Reading or Maidenhead (or travelling anywhere via Reading when returning mid-evening) for me, for as long as this lasts.

There’s issues at Redhill sidings which means only one GWR unit can be stabled at that end of the line overnight. It appears they have prioritised (rightly) the last train of the night.

FenMan

Established Member

I agree. This is an important service that loads pretty well in normal times, west of Guildford at least.

If restored to Guildford only, it could run back in the 2243 slot (which, until recently, was a normal timetabled NDL slot for many years) - this would restore good connections with the 2200 ex Waterloo via Woking and the 2119 ex Portsmouth Harbour.

The lack of the 2234 also means on Fridays and Saturdays the connection at Wokingham is thoroughly broken (the last NDL train of the night doesn't stop at Wokingham due to historic problems between kids from Wokingham and Crowthorne). Currently the last connection from Bracknell, Ascot and Staines to Crowthorne, Sandhurst, Blackwater and Farnborough North is the 2020 ex Waterloo, which arrives in Wokingham at 2126.

There’s issues at Redhill sidings which means only one GWR unit can be stabled at that end of the line overnight. It appears they have prioritised (rightly) the last train of the night.
How long have these issues been known about and what is the plan to resolve them?

Status
Not open for further replies.