• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tinsley Intermodal progress updates (contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestRiding

Work is speeding along on the new DB Schenker Container Terminal on the site of the old Tinsley Yard. Yet more positive news for the Intermodal Traffic. IMG_20210329_163621.jpgIMG_20210329_163225.jpgIMG_20210329_163050.jpgIMG_20210329_163043.jpgIMG_20210329_163012.jpgIMG_20210329_163003.jpgIMG_20210329_162842.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishwomp

Thanks for posting, I had not read about this!

I see from the first two photos that this is taking shape at the south end of the yard, right beneath where the depot was.

Will it be a dead end still at the south, or do they plan to reopen the quarter of a mile to Treeton, giving faster access to the south?

WestRiding

Thanks for posting, I had not read about this!

I see from the first two photos that this is taking shape at the south end of the yard, right beneath where the depot was.

Will it be a dead end still at the south, or do they plan to reopen the quarter of a mile to Treeton, giving faster access to the south?
Dead End, bit of new point work and a concrete pad for loading. It has been kept pretty quiet in the grand scheme of things. As a side note, I just hope Liberty Steel gets sorted in Rotherham, as that could be a massive blow to the areas freight.

fishwomp

Dead End, bit of new point work and a concrete pad for loading. It has been kept pretty quiet in the grand scheme of things. As a side note, I just hope Liberty Steel gets sorted in Rotherham, as that could be a massive blow to the areas freight.
Oh well, at least the terminal is another couple of 250 yards reopened in a way - maybe one day it'll get to Treeton..

Until then.. to reach from the South is if coming via Doncaster. That gives - Felixstowe - March - P'Boro - Gainsborough - Doncaster - Rotherham - Tinsley, with run-round at Ipswich only.

Soton traffic needs to go through Sheffield centre and Nunnery first - although it could be done via Nottingham, Worksop, Doncaster, which appears to get some freight these days.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Soton traffic needs to go through Sheffield centre and Nunnery first - although it could be done via Nottingham, Worksop, Doncaster, which appears to get some freight these days.
Container traffic won't be going through Worksop any time soon. Southampton traffic will need to either run via Nottingham & Lincoln or via Barrow Hill (or, I suppose, Sheffield station) and runround at kilnhurst goods loop, which is only 29 chains long (580m or so). They could also add a runround facility on the Stocksbridge branch if longer trains were needed.

If direct access for So'ton traffic is required then either the Treeton link as you say, or the closed curve at Woodburn Jn could be reinstated for Barrow Hill/Beighton Jn/Woodhouse/Broughton Lane routing.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Article about this from February 2021 on Rothbiz:

from which
The application states: "Operations are proposed primarily for container traffic. Projected volumes will be significantly lower than those carried in the 1960’s; the reinstated site will handle perhaps five trains each way every day (at around 50‐55 containers per train) once fully operational. Rather like the complementary facility at Doncaster iPort, it will probably take some two or three years to achieve that volume

najaB

Veteran Member
The application states: "Operations are proposed primarily for container traffic. Projected volumes will be significantly lower than those carried in the 1960’s; the reinstated site will handle perhaps five trains each way every day (at around 50‐55 containers per train) once fully operational. Rather like the complementary facility at Doncaster iPort, it will probably take some two or three years to achieve that volume
That's still a considerable amount of traffic off the roads, nothing to be sneezed at.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
That's still a considerable amount of traffic off the roads, nothing to be sneezed at.
Who's sneezing!?
For a few months, there's also been some unused paths into Tinsley appearing in realtimetrains, running from spots in E London (Barking, Bow, Ripple Lane). But I don't think those are container terminals.

fishwomp

Container traffic won't be going through Worksop any time soon. Southampton traffic will need to either run via Nottingham & Lincoln or via Barrow Hill (or, I suppose, Sheffield station) and runround at kilnhurst goods loop, which is only 29 chains long (580m or so). They could also add a runround facility on the Stocksbridge branch if longer trains were needed.

If direct access for So'ton traffic is required then either the Treeton link as you say, or the closed curve at Woodburn Jn could be reinstated for Barrow Hill/Beighton Jn/Woodhouse/Broughton Lane routing.
Ah, I didn't realize Woodburn J had been a triangle - would indeed be easier!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Ah, I didn't realize Woodburn J had been a triangle - would indeed be easier!
Actually, having looked at what I've written direct access to Tinsley from Chesterfield is possible now (In theory), running via Sheffield Station, Nunnery Main Line and Woodburn Jn. However the path being available at a time attractive to operators is another matter entirely...

eastwestdivide

Established Member
The way the report is written with the tone of "it's not as busy as it used to be" sounds somewhat dismissive. But any growth in rail freight is a good thing!
Agreed, a good thing. I didn't get any sense of the report being dismissive, more a case of "it won't be a busy marshalling yard with clanking couplings day and night"

najaB

Veteran Member
Agreed, a good thing. I didn't get any sense of the report being dismissive, more a case of "it won't be a busy marshalling yard with clanking couplings day and night"
Ah, okay. It does make sense that way. I withdraw my objection. :)

unlevel42

Yes-ish It is the southern part of Tinsley Marshalling Yards between the A630 Parkway, M1 and SMACC Outokumpu and its rail connection.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Oh well, at least the terminal is another couple of 250 yards reopened in a way - maybe one day it'll get to Treeton..

Until then.. to reach from the South is if coming via Doncaster. That gives - Felixstowe - March - P'Boro - Gainsborough - Doncaster - Rotherham - Tinsley, with run-round at Ipswich only.

No requirement to reverse at Ipswich anymore to reach Tinsley run either via Bacon Factory Curve just north of Ipswich or come via GEML, NLL and ECML between Ipswich and Peterborough.

I think you might have problems running Class 4 Freight with W10 sized containers via Sheffield. So Southampton Freight might have to reverse at Doncaster having travelled via Barrow Hill or from Reading via GWML, NLL, Kings Cross Incline and the ECML to approach Tinsley from the North.

WestRiding

No requirement to reverse at Ipswich anymore to reach Tinsley run either via Bacon Factory Curve just north of Ipswich or come via GEML, NLL and ECML between Ipswich and Peterborough.

I think you might have problems running Class 4 Freight with W10 sized containers via Sheffield. So Southampton Freight might have to reverse at Doncaster having travelled via Barrow Hill or from Reading via GWML, NLL, Kings Cross Incline and the ECML to approach Tinsley from the North.
We can run round at Kilnhurst, so no need to go as far as Donny if coming via Barrowhill.

unlevel42

Out of interest, do you know what the max length train Tinsley will be able to accept is?
All lines and turnouts between the Wood Lane bridge and the A630 bridge have been lifted.
A two track formation has been re-laid between the two bridges.
Some of the eastern track has been replaced but is not complete or aligned.
There is now a south facing turnout at about 175m from Wood Lane bridge.
This leaves another 500m beyond.
The whole area between the two bridges is involved
There is nothing new north of Wood Lane Bridge except for the new road access and site work.
There has been work at the Tinsley South and Broughton Lane junctions with the mechanical bits all looking all new, bright and shinny.

GB

Established Member
Is this the same area GBRf used/attempted to be used in 2019 for their 4L28/4E28 Tinsley-Felixstowe service?

zwk500

Veteran Member
All lines and turnouts between the Wood Lane bridge and the A630 bridge have been lifted.
A two track formation has been re-laid between the two bridges.
Some of the eastern track has been replaced but is not complete or aligned.
There is now a south facing turnout at about 175m from Wood Lane bridge.
This leaves another 500m beyond.
The whole area between the two bridges is involved
There is nothing new north of Wood Lane Bridge except for the new road access and site work.
There has been work at the Tinsley South and Broughton Lane junctions with the mechanical bits all looking all new, bright and shinny.
Thanks for the update!

GB

Established Member
What does it look like at the moment. Is there a reason why we have been told that lower strength couplings must be at the rear of the train on arrival? Tight cure???

Status
Not open for further replies.