• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Titfield Thunderbolt Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Brilliant film :D

Has anyone been on the line recently ?

I guess with the line closing in in the 1950's there is not much now ?

I used this film recently on another thread as an example of a Bishop being on a footplate. The countryside was vintage post-war England.:D

A typical "moment in time" film!!! Sydney James looked the youngest that I have ever seen him when he was driving the Steam Roller in the duel with the train engine.

I suppose that the area could have changed over the last 60 years. It was filmed in the Bath area on the branch line from Limpley Stoke to Camerton. Try contacting the Tourist Information Centre in Bath for more details of the area stating specifically that you had seen this film. Anything that increases visitor numbers is good news to them.

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
There is a small but nicely illustrated book "On the trail of the Titfield Thunderbolt" by Simon Castens, published in 2001 by Thunderbolt Books, ISBN 0 9538771 0 8, which looks at the locations used in the films, recounts some of the occurances during the filming and has some information on the area at the time it was written ten years ago.

I recommend this book for any fans of the film!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Has anyone been on the line recently ?

I am not really a computer expert, but I can remember two people called Jim and Geraldine North putting three pages of archive photographs on the website that they were setting up, covering the village of Monkton Combe, in which the film was made. They managed to find pictures of all types that reflected the life of a village in the area near to Bath.

One was a picture of the old station footbridge that crossed over the line being demolished and another showed a GWR 0-6-0 pannier tank engine in charge of the demolition train. These were included to show the end of an era. If this information is of any use to you, it might be worth following this up,

I am not really a computer expert, but I can remember two people called Jim and Geraldine North putting three pages of archive photographs on the website that they were setting up, covering the village of Monkton Combe, in which the film was made. They managed to find pictures of all types that reflected the life of a village in the area near to Bath.

One was a picture of the old station footbridge that crossed over the line being demolished and another showed a GWR 0-6-0 pannier tank engine in charge of the demolition train. These were included to show the end of an era. If this information is of any use to you, it might be worth following this up,

Brilliant :)

http://www.monktoncombe.com/mcphotos/images_of_monkton_combe3.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.