• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Torbay Express Steam Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning,

All being well, I shall be travelling on the Torbay Express Steam Train from Bristol Temple Meads. I have done this before several times, although not in recent years.

The train I am booked on is going on a new route via Bath & Trowbridge, then Taunton etc. Would I be correct in assuming that the train will be departing towards the north or London end of Temple Meads, rather than from the country end which it has done when I have been on it before and it went via Weston Super Mere?

Tks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hello there - hope you're well :)
you would be correct in assuming that; it'll be departing northbound then heading eastwards towards Oldfield Park and Bath e.t.c.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hello there - hope you're well :)
you would be correct in assuming that; it'll be departing northbound then heading eastwards towards Oldfield Park and Bath e.t.c.

Wonderful, I thought it would be that way.

Yes I am fine thanks, hope all is well with you and your box.:)

I did not go to the London Meal earlier this month and I think there is one towards the end of the month which clashes with something else, I will have to see when the July & August London Meals are as I have a number of things planned then, it should be quieter in September.

All the best.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
What locos do they use. I'm thinking of doing a trip this year...

Dhassell

There usually is a Torbay Express tour on one of those Sundays I'm in Devon which is the high summer season so why can't they run one?????:-x

As we had the same discussion for the Duchy! They run for the people who buy the tickets. Not just for YOU! :roll::roll::-x

D1009

Established Member
There aren't any Torbay Expresses between 23 July and 20 August. Given changes to steam specials in recent weeks, who would bet on which locomotive is going to be hauling a train in over 2 months time?

Dhassell

There aren't any Torbay Expresses between 23 July and 20 August. Given changes to steam specials in recent weeks, who would bet on which locomotive is going to be hauling a train in over 2 months time?

What changes to steam specials?

83G/84D

Established Member
DB Class 66 added to the formation today due to a fire risk (hot weather related).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was interesting today that although Tornado isn't the noisiest of locos exhaust wise, I always hear it heading north when it goes by. Today I only really heard the coaches and to me it sounded like 60163 was being worked pretty gently. I'm not surprised that there's a fire risk worry though.
Was anyone on the train today?

embers25

Established Member
It was interesting today that although Tornado isn't the noisiest of locos exhaust wise, I always hear it heading north when it goes by. Today I only really heard the coaches and to me it sounded like 60163 was being worked pretty gently. I'm not surprised that there's a fire risk worry though.

Train was very busy and ran early past Dawlish Warren. Tornado was in extremely minimal steam and even when whistling there was minimal steam.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Yes I was on that train, we did not know it was going to be mainly diesel until it was just about to depart from Bristol Temple Meads, when I arrived at the station Tornado was at the front so I was happy. Until they had to attach the diesel.

Outbound it ran, Diesel, Tornado, and 12 carriages, including kitchen and 2 service coaches. I think the diesel did most of the working outbound, until the final 100 yards approx into Kingswear when we halted and diesel was taken off, so we did Steam into Kingswear.

Things were a little better on the way back. Tornado was on the front, then the diesel and coaches. Tornado did seem to be hauling from Kingswear to about Newton Abbott, but I am not sure how much work she was doing after that.

Inspite of not being able to have pure steam, it still a good day out, it is a very pretty area and decent scenery, especially the sea wall at Dawlish.

I also found a very very good pub for a drink, (Or two) and traditional Roast Sunday Lunch, in Kingswear, as I know Dartmouth is always busy.

We were told that the requirement to put the diesel on was very last minute as a steam train seemingly caused line side fires and damaged electrical equipment somewhere in Eastern England on Saturday, not sure about the details.

I think the diesel was EWS 66102?

davetheguard

Established Member
Reported elsewhere that 66102 was the diesel used today for anyone whose interested?

Cheers

Ben

It certainly was. Here it is arriving at Taunton prior to a timetabled water stop. Sorry about the poor quality of the picture taken against the light.

Attachments

• DSC00228.jpg
    DSC00228.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 14

davetheguard

Established Member
Kingswear is better than Dartmouth for pubs IMO.

I think they're both good for pubs, but like you, I tend to favour Kingswear pubs -actually one in particular- as they tend to get less swamped than the Dartmouth ones; everyone off special trains heads straight across on the ferry to add to the multitude already present in Dartmouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.