• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE disruption, Ashton Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Reports of a TPE service has hit something in the Ashton area of Manchester. 1E78 18:12 LIV-NCL 185137 involved. Job stopped so currently no TPE or northern services between Stalybridge and Victoria with services diverting to Piccadilly.

Preceding 1E77 diverted to MAN vice MCV due to a broken down train on the moss so would imagine some of the punters on 1E78 who should have been on 1E77 will be horrendously delayed now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Journey Check said:
Due to the emergency services dealing with an incident between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge all lines are blocked.
Impact
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 minutes. Disruption is expected until 22:15 30/11.
Customer Advice
Services may divert between Huddersfield and Liverpool Lime Street in both directions additionally calling at Manchester Piccadilly.
Services will not call at Manchester Victoria. Customers to/from this station are advised to travel via Salford Crescent into Manchester Piccadilly. Customers can use TPE 'Back On Track' from Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Victoria. Please see TPE station staff at Manchester Piccadilly.
The main line between Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Piccadilly, Leeds and York will be mainly unaffected in both directions.
Customers can travel on Northern, CrossCountry and Virgin Trains East Coast on any reasonable route. Ticket acceptance is in place.

https://www.journeycheck.com/tpexpress/

Established Member
Reports of a TPE service has hit something in the Ashton area of Manchester. 1E78 18:12 LIV-NCL 185137 involved. Job stopped so currently no TPE or northern services between Stalybridge and Victoria with services diverting to Piccadilly.

Preceding 1E77 diverted to MAN vice MCV due to a broken down train on the moss so would imagine some of the punters on 1E78 who should have been on 1E77 will be horrendously delayed now.
Its not 185137 involved. I'm currently on 185137 heading towards Liverpool via Occy Road!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Hmm... Genius reports 185137 as the unit allocated to that service. Genius could be wrong tho as a couple of unit swaps were done earlier.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
50 year old male jumped barriers at Clayton Bridge level crossing and tried to outrun the train across the crossing. Looks liike he misjudged the speed of the train and received a glancing blow which proved to be fatal. TPE services arent exactly going slow at that location and they wouldnt have been wellying the power so the train would have been relatively quiet plus it would have been dark. The individual involved may well have made a judgement to take the risk believing nothing was there.

Not an official report but the general understanding of what happened.

coxxy

70mph line speed through that crossing plus the crossing is hidden round a bend on either side. They guy didn't stand a chance, why people think they can just ignore barriers, lights and the fact that it is a railway line is beyond me.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
70mph line speed through that crossing plus the crossing is hidden round a bend on either side. They guy didn't stand a chance, why people think they can just ignore barriers, lights and the fact that it is a railway line is beyond me.

Well he won't do it again will he! sorry to sound so negative but I find it hard to feel any sympathy for people who put themselves in these situations, my sympathies are reserved for the driver and anyone else who has to witness an incident such as this, people just never seem to learn.

najaB

Veteran Member
...people just never seem to learn.
Because any feedback they receive is positive i.e. 'I managed to beat the train, so I'll do it again.'

The first negative feedback is, often, the last they'll ever receive.

Class 170101

Established Member
Not all TPE crews sign via either Rochdale or Phillips Park link to get around this problem then?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
From the Newton Heath/Failsworth side of the Clayton Bridge crossing, is there a steep downwards hill, which may make for an interesting infrastructural conundrum when considering a different means of providing a road crossing of the railway there?

kevconnor

whilst not the stepest hill around there is an incline, neither side is stright on either and i think there are some buildings within its proximity making and bridge a difficult pospect.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Not all TPE crews sign via either Rochdale or Phillips Park link to get around this problem then?

I sign Rochdale/hebden bridge/elland but I am the only one from my depot that does. A legacy from being based at a different depot but I chose to keep the route active. Think its just York and Manchester airport depots that actively sign elland. Phillips Park is used by drivers only for access to Ardwick. Thete may be a few conductors who sign it but not many.

Status
Not open for further replies.