• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Edinburgh to Manchester Airport anaomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveB10780

This journey is not connected with a flight but just a fairly easy pick up point for us. I was looking to buy an advanced ticket for Dec 20th which the booking system allows me to do. The only ticket offered is Airport Advanced which is a few pounds cheaper than normal advanced to Piccadilly which seems a little odd. However it would not reserve a seat which is not something I am prepared to contemplate. I ended up getting an advanced through to our local station which did allow the reservation. For the future is it possible to get a "normal" advance to/from the airport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"Airport Advance" seems to be a route 'AP TPE & Connections' ticket, my understanding is that it's booked train(s) only, but does that mean no seat reservations are possible on the booked train, as they're all gone?

DaveB10780

When I tried I just got a message you are ok for the train but Take any free seat which was not helpful if it was full! System would not give a reservation no matter how hard I tried.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yep. I'm also getting a "You’re booked on this train - You can sit in any vacant seat for your class of travel" type message on certain direct journeys that day, although I could get a randomly allocated reserved seat on the 20:11.

Not particularly helpful if the train you want is busy. Wonder what's going on, here?

Par

I have a similar situation. I bought tickets for travel on the
TPE website for travel from Edinburgh to Manchester on December 19th. These were purchased on the first day Advances became available on September 14th. It didn’t reserve seats for me and two calls to TPE Customer Services didn’t yield success either. I was however eventually able to book just seat reservations through the GWR website on 12th November.

See images attached.

Attachments

• C42EE4EB-E2E9-4FB7-B3A2-967E8C7950F7.png
    C42EE4EB-E2E9-4FB7-B3A2-967E8C7950F7.png
    430.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 36AAC8B9-BA14-4AC6-B052-A0E386E51E02.png
    36AAC8B9-BA14-4AC6-B052-A0E386E51E02.png
    361.6 KB · Views: 21

_toommm_

Established Member
What, sell a train-specific advance ticket for a three-and-a-half hours plus journey, without an accompanying seat reservation? Great stuff!

They've sold advance tickets for a while without accompanying seat reservations (in certain scenarios). I remember a few years ago when I bought a First Advance, but there were no more seat reservations for First, so I had to 'slum it' in standard.

mmh

Established Member
"Airport Advance" is, as far as I recall, an advance ticket which allows flexibility returning from Manchester Airport, in the event you might miss your train due to a flight or airport delay. It's quite a good innovation in my mind, and understandable seat reservations aren't automatically issued for it.

driverd

"Airport Advance" is, as far as I recall, an advance ticket which allows flexibility returning from Manchester Airport, in the event you might miss your train due to a flight or airport delay. It's quite a good innovation in my mind, and understandable seat reservations aren't automatically issued for it.

Airport advance allows travel on any train up to 3 hours after the booked one (to allow for delays etc).

No seat reservations is usually the policy when trains are very busy. Logic is that it reduces dwell time slightly and saves conflict. An Airport advance will normally allocate a seat.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
But this is for a journey to Manchester Airport.

More about TPE's Airport Advance tickets at this 2013 link...

Been around for longer than I'd thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.