• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 3 (Class 68 + Mk5s) updates and withdrawal from service

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It normally is. Comes ECS from Longsight arriving at 15:17, and is normally sat on top of another train when I've got on it.
thanks - will change my target train for Friday travel from now on ( was surprised to see it class 68 hauled the other week)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hugh Longworth

I passed Longsight this morning about 10am and saw two Class 68s with TPE sets. One of these was 68029. Can anyone tell me the other, and what the sets were? I passed again later, about 2pm. 68029 and its set was still there, but the other set had gone. There was also two more Class 68s in TPE livery visible, but not attached to any trains. Can anyone tell me the number of these?

Many thanks in advance.

Hugh

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would anyone be able to share the diagrams for this Saturday (26th March) please? :)
They will be as per post #1084, plus a Cleethorpes based training diagram (in case you're out spotting) :)

317 forever

Established Member
Due to engineering works in the Stalybridge area on Saturday April 23rd, there are direct trains from Manchester Piccadilly to Scarborough at 07.26 and 15.29. There are return direct trains from Scarborough at 15.34, 20.34 and 21.34. There are similar numbers of direct trains on Sunday 24th but some of those are at different times.

I wonder how likely these are to be class 68 & Nova 3?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Due to engineering works in the Stalybridge area on Saturday April 23rd, there are direct trains from Manchester Piccadilly to Scarborough at 07.26 and 15.29. There are return direct trains from Scarborough at 15.34, 20.34 and 21.34. There are similar numbers of direct trains on Sunday 24th but some of those are at different times.

I wonder how likely these are to be class 68 & Nova 3?
All except the 21.34 are booked a Nova 3. The 15.29 runs off Piccadilly every day normally anyway.

317 forever

Established Member
Sunday will be all 185. Timetable still to be finalised due to Strike action
oh yes I forgot about the Sunday strikes. Admittedly I'm planning to go on Saturday 23rd a the Saturdays either side are strike days for being part of Bank Holiday weekends.

L+Y

Are any service trains moving to Mk5s on the Cleethorpes route in May, or is everything remaining unchanged for now?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Are any service trains moving to Mk5s on the Cleethorpes route in May, or is everything remaining unchanged for now?
As far as I am aware, there are to be two Cleethorpes diagrams from May,
with one stabling at Longsight overnight and the other at Doncaster.

MARK

Killingworth

Established Member
Crews have been route learning since November and using some of the paths currently suspended from the timetable. 2 diagrams from May and possibly one or two more from December when the route is supposed to be extended to Liverpool. Out of service 68022 Resolution paused at Dore to confuse waiting passengers on what would have been the 11.11 Easter Monday service from Sheffield.

sjpowermac

Established Member
As I understand it, the original plan was two diagrams from May, four from December.

Again, as I understand it, May is looking doubtful and ‘Autumn’ seems more likely.

That said, from May there’s an out and back turn on RTT from Longsight to Cleethorpes:

5B70 0803 Longsight-Cleethorpes (1152)
5B81 1324 Cleethorpes-Longsight

Clearly in as a training run currently but might be a passenger turn at some point over the summer.

When the Scarborough services started in August 2019, there was initially one diagram per day, out and back from Longsight, so Cleethorpes might follow a similar pattern.

Sorry not to have more definite information:)

D6975

Established Member
Looking at RTT, there are plenty of 3Bxx and 5Bxx TP paths on the Hope Valley route, but depressingly few of them are being used, and even when they are activated there are plenty of cancellations. Doesn't look too hopeful for a May start.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Looking at RTT, there are plenty of 3Bxx and 5Bxx TP paths on the Hope Valley route, but depressingly few of them are being used, and even when they are activated there are plenty of cancellations. Doesn't look too hopeful for a May start.
As I understand it, there are separate courses for learning the locos and learning the stock plus loco, with a break between the two.

Some of the training is classroom based, some of it involves static training and then there’s the practical handling.

So, there are always going to be quite a few paths that end up not being used.

Again, as I understand it, the training started a bit later than intended due to finalising arrangements at Doncaster Belmont for fuelling/the problems caused by Omicron/lack of rest day working agreement for drivers across TPE.

So, I’d agree totally that May is spectacularly unlikely to happen and would think the September timetable change will be the earliest the Class 68s might start.

Hope that helps:)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What is the September timetable change? Are the changes not in May and December?
Principal changes are normally made in May and December, but since Covid (and even before then) it has been more and more common for there to be large-ish changes in between. In this case the September timetable change refers to the start of a new timetable period (within the May timetable), where some operators may amend their services.

Denis103

I have just looked for the 1529 Man Picc to Scarborough 1E41 today (27/4/22) and note it is cancelled between Manchester and York

Spartacus

Established Member
I have just looked for the 1529 Man Picc to Scarborough 1E41 today (27/4/22) and note it is cancelled between Manchester and York

I think 1F72 may be terminating and York and forming 1E41 from there to Scarborough as that's only showing 68030 & TP11 Scarborough - York.

Hello to all this afternoon,

Could anyone give any indication on when the class 68/mark 5a stock will run on the Redcar/Saltburn line? There has been a lot of publicity from TPE in local press and television stating that there will be a marked improvement on services with the new stock. Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

QS.

Fokx

Hello to all this afternoon,

Could anyone give any indication on when the class 68/mark 5a stock will run on the Redcar/Saltburn line? There has been a lot of publicity from TPE in local press and television stating that there will be a marked improvement on services with the new stock. Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

QS.
December 2022 (full service) but will now be 2x185’s

December 2022 (full service) but will now be 2x185’s
Hello there Fokx,

Many thanks for the clarification. I guess the Class 68’s I have recently will be connected to drive route knowledge. Many thanks again Fokx.

Kind regards.

QS.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Hello all,

On Saturday, me and a friend are going around Manchester using the system one travelcard and hope to get in some 68 action between Victoria and Stalybridge. Does anyone know which diagrams they'll be operating that day? Thanks in advance.

(Doesn't have to be Victoria or Stalybridge if there are some diagrams out of Piccadilly)

Freightmaster

Established Member
Hello all,

On Saturday, me and a friend are going around Manchester using the system one travelcard and hope to get in some 68 action between Victoria and Stalybridge. Does anyone know which diagrams they'll be operating that day? Thanks in advance.

(Doesn't have to be Victoria or Stalybridge if there are some diagrams out of Piccadilly)
Here you go:

1E41 - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/C22361/2022-05-14/detailed

1F72 - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/C22298/2022-05-14/detailed

MARK

Sweetjesus

I plan to travel from Manchester to Leeds and back on 27th June (Monday). Are there class 68 diagrams running on that day?