• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 3 (Class 68 + Mk5s) updates and withdrawal from service

Spartacus

Established Member
I plan to travel from Manchester to Leeds and back on 27th June (Monday). Are there class 68 diagrams running on that day?

The 0731 off Man Vic & 1529 off Man Pic and the 1700 & 2201 off Leeds returning are generally the only two 68 diagrams.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L+Y

Given strikes and presuming continuing backlogs, are there any updates as to whether we'll see any additional diagrams at all later this year: or is it all still entirely up in the air?

Killingworth

Established Member
Given strikes and presuming continuing backlogs, are there any updates as to whether we'll see any additional diagrams at all later this year: or is it all still entirely up in the air?

Phantom trains showing 'not in service' continue to run on the South Pennine route utilising paths of suspended services. Surely training must be approaching completion in good time for December timetable changes.

Established Member
My assumption is likely both.
Phantom trains showing 'not in service' continue to run on the South Pennine route utilising paths of suspended services. Surely training must be approaching completion in good time for December timetable changes.
I saw 68+Mk5a sets running in both directions at Levenshulme last week and then one at Sheffield one yesterday during the Hope Valley closure, while many diversionary Manchester - Sheffield services were cancelled.

It is apparent what the lack of a proper TPE service, but perhaps they are prioritising successful implementation of the new timetable over the running of their current one? I have also seen 185s in P1 at Oxford Road having been down the CLC line.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
My assumption is likely both.

I saw 68+Mk5a sets running in both directions at Levenshulme last week and then one at Sheffield one yesterday during the Hope Valley closure, while many diversionary Manchester - Sheffield services were cancelled.

It is apparent what the lack of a proper TPE service, but perhaps they are prioritising successful implementation of the new timetable over the running of their current one? I have also seen 185s in P1 at Oxford Road having been down the CLC line.
Its about time operators were forced by the paymasters at teh DfT to publish their plans to restore services they are being paid to deliver.

BHXDMT

On the Conductor side at least, 68/MK5A traction training and route learning for Liverpool is about to ramp up from August. You might see the odd MK5 run in service come the Autumn, but I don't think anything will be diagrammed til December.

Its about time operators were forced by the paymasters at teh DfT to publish their plans to restore services they are being paid to deliver.

Good luck with that. The DfT are refusing to authorise any new rest day work agreements, so you'll have to wait for all those Drivers and Guards they're hiring and training to come online.

Fokx

Surely training must be approaching completion in good time for December timetable changes.
Training is going well but you also have the issue of maintaining competency. I’d still expect the class 3 runs to continue until December at the earliest

I have also seen 185s in P1 at Oxford Road having been down the CLC line.

That’s Piccadilly depot’s route learning train currently. There’s still (some) Liverpool drivers, Piccadilly conductors, Sheffield conductors and drivers to train up

Metroman62

Hopefully a quick question. Where on the TPE mark 5 coaches and driving coaches are the coach numbers? It's not obvious to me when passing them at stations

XCTurbostar

Established Member
The coach numbers are slightly adjacent to the TPE logo and within the Dark Blue bodyside stripe: https://flic.kr/p/2kmStK1

The larger number is the TOPS UK number and the lower longer number is the European Vehicle Number (EVN)

Killingworth

Established Member
The coach numbers are slightly adjacent to the TPE logo and within the Dark Blue bodyside stripe: https://flic.kr/p/2kmStK1

The larger number is the TOPS UK number and the lower longer number is the European Vehicle Number (EVN)
They don't seem very conspicuous for a normally sighted user of that class of trains. A first time passenger with less than 20:20 vision could be excused for taking an extra few seconds to find the right door to match their reservation.

They don't appear to be operating many trains in service yet.

dazzler

Hopefully a quick question. Where on the TPE mark 5 coaches and driving coaches are the coach numbers? It's not obvious to me when passing them at stations

Photo attached from yesterday. It's screenshot of my bike front camera, showing the coach numbers on the Driving Trailer on the front of the 16:27 York (Ex-Scarborough) to Manchester Victoria.Screenshot from 2022-08-02 16-28-31.png

Fokx

Thanks, how come? Is it expected that more come online in the future?
It will gradually increase when the route extends to Liverpool in May 23’

Eventual expectation is a 50/50 service between the 185’s and 68’s

Killingworth

Established Member
It will gradually increase when the route extends to Liverpool in May 23’

Eventual expectation is a 50/50 service between the 185’s and 68’s
Will it extend in May 2023? It's been talked about for so long yet currently TPE can't run a reliable hourly service between Cleethorpes and Manchester.

BHXDMT

Will it extend in May 2023? It's been talked about for so long yet currently TPE can't run a reliable hourly service between Cleethorpes and Manchester.

Part of the reason the service is so unreliable is because Drivers are training on Liverpool and Class 68/MK5A traction. Unfortunately, due to the DfT not being willing to allow TPE to fund a Driver rest day work agreement, assessors and instructors/drivers that are training can't work their rest days to get training done quicker. So you have the situation where trains are being cancelled to accommodate training.

Liverpool should start in December 2022, the route learning is already taking place.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Don't know where May 23 is coming from. A Dec 22 start has been pencilled in for quite some time now. Although there is always the possibility of a last minute emergency timetable!

Either way, we should start seeing some Mk5s in passenger service on the route from December.

Fokx

Don't know where May 23 is coming from. A Dec 22 start has been pencilled in for quite some time now.

May 23 is the Liverpool extension and what the poster is referring to. It’s been pushed back, and C-asdo beacons for the 185 are still missing.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
May 23 is the Liverpool extension and what the poster is referring to
No, the Liverpool extension is definitely happening in December. At least, that's the latest plan I've seen!

Fokx

There's still over 4 months to do that.
Yes but the issue is the new shift pattern sheet has just been posted which runs from now until Dec.

There are 0 additional training days added, and not all staff are willing to do training on RD work so you’ve still got to try and get over 100 conductors route trained from the 3 guard depots, plus any contingency depots and driver route retention.

When the Liverpool to Cleethorpes run will start, it’s likely that it won’t be a full service from Day 1, and was never been planned to be prior to the industrial relations issues. It was meant to operate from May, similar to the current Manchester to Scarborough services, in which case most services would have terminated at Manchester Pic (Main Shed) with a minimal number of services to Liverpool (but not stopping at Irlam, Flixton, Urmston, Warrington West) until the beacons are fitted and more importantly tested.

CAF397

... the Liverpool to Cleethorpes run will start, it’s likely that it won’t be a full service from Day 1, and was never been planned to be prior to the industrial relations issues. It was meant to operate from May, similar to the current Manchester to Scarborough services, in which case most services would have terminated at Manchester Pic (Main Shed) with a minimal number of services to Liverpool (but not stopping at Irlam, Flixton, Urmston, Warrington West) until the beacons are fitted and more importantly tested.
A 68/Mk5 train has been over the CLC doing station testing earlier in the year.

With regards to C-ASDO beacons. They are fitted at Urmston (U&D), Irlam (U), Birchwood (U&D), Widnes (U&D) and Liverpool South Parkway (U&D) and are working. They've been installed since March/April. They were missing from Warrington Central and Warrington West, but hopefully that's been resolved. Irlam on the down is unsuitable to stop due to the 'hump' on the platform, and steep drop.

BHXDMT

Yes but the issue is the new shift pattern sheet has just been posted which runs from now until Dec.

There are 0 additional training days added, and not all staff are willing to do training on RD work so you’ve still got to try and get over 100 conductors route trained from the 3 guard depots, plus any contingency depots and driver route retention.

When the Liverpool to Cleethorpes run will start, it’s likely that it won’t be a full service from Day 1, and was never been planned to be prior to the industrial relations issues. It was meant to operate from May, similar to the current Manchester to Scarborough services, in which case most services would have terminated at Manchester Pic (Main Shed) with a minimal number of services to Liverpool (but not stopping at Irlam, Flixton, Urmston, Warrington West) until the beacons are fitted and more importantly tested.

Sounds nothing like what I've been hearing.

Both Sheffield and Cleethorpes depots now have several weeks of both traction and route learning built into the roster from 1st August until Dec TT change.

Initial calling pattern is supposedly Oxford Road, Irlam, Birchwood, Warrington Central, South Parkway and Lime Street. Irlam platform is being addressed by Network Rail, and C-ASDO beacons will be in place at the required stations.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sounds nothing like what I've been hearing.

Both Sheffield and Cleethorpes depots now have several weeks of both traction and route learning built into the roster from 1st August until Dec TT change.

Initial calling pattern is supposedly Oxford Road, Irlam, Birchwood, Warrington Central, South Parkway and Lime Street. Irlam platform is being addressed by Network Rail, and C-ASDO beacons will be in place at the required stations.
Is Irlam really a big enough place to justify calls from what is essentially an intercity service though? I know it used to be a terminus for local services from Oxford Road back in the 101 days, but I assumed that was driven by operational convenience rather than demand.