• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE services allocated for Double units

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpjm

Expect to see less (if any) 6 car working this week. Passenger loading were reviewed last week and didn’t really warrant longer trains.

I was on a 6 car stopper on Friday and not a single person was on the rear set all the way from Manchester to Leeds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
Current loadings observed on South Pennine trains passing through Dore & Totley suggest a Pacer would still allow all passengers to have double the stipulated social distance to themselves. Maybe peak hour trains are more crowded.

Who'd have thought we'd be wishing we could safely crowd aboard a short form without any thought of imminent death.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
So still everything on TPE is either 3-185 or 5-Nova: the only doubles being potentially ECS at the start and end of the day?

Killingworth

Established Member
So still everything on TPE is either 3-185 or 5-Nova: the only doubles being potentially ECS at the start and end of the day?

Even that's more than is needed on current loadings. On an effective 50% timetable, not going as far as the airport, South Pennine achieved 100% reliability on trains run, and to timetable last week. If only it could be done with the full timetable and passengers., but roll on the days when the full service can be restored.

I covered a fuel point session one night the other week. Just three six-car sets came on and all still clean, and from what I gather still full of fresh water and no waste in the CETs!

Mex I can

I saw a six car 185 going west bound via Mexborough today. I think the passengers had three cars each, it was good social distancing.

BHXDMT

I saw a six car 185 going west bound via Mexborough today. I think the passengers had three cars each, it was good social distancing.

06:26 and 14:26 ex Cleethorpes (10:18/18:18 from Piccadilly) was a 6 car set today. Possibly ongoing.

Killingworth

Established Member
On Friday the 19.03 for Cleethorpes from Dore dropped none and picked up one and a bike to take the score for that train up to 10 in 3 carriages, the heaviest load I've seen since lock down. With so few trains passenger spotting isn't a practical hobby, just passing on my exercise walk. It was a Bank Holiday, but on a normal weekday 50 might have piled out of that train.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Things could change with effect from next Monday so let's keep this thread semi-active.

tpjm

Expect to see additional 6 car workings on the south route from this/next week to enable social distancing. (subject to unit availability)

clagmonster

Established Member
There have been a few stabled at Cleethorpes I understand for the duration of the lockdown so I expect it will be quite easy to bump some up to 6. Today's pair caught me by surprise.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Expect to see additional 6 car workings on the south route from this/next week to enable social distancing. (subject to unit availability)

6-car every two hours or 3-car bumped up to hourly.

clagmonster

Established Member
Will there be any issues with 6 cars stopping at short platforms where the guard (or assisting guard in the case of Rotherham, Dore and various local shacks around Diggle) has to lock out doors? Just wondering if social distancing will be an issue with them having to come down the train to do so.

BHXDMT

Will there be any issues with 6 cars stopping at short platforms where the guard (or assisting guard in the case of Rotherham, Dore and various local shacks around Diggle) has to lock out doors? Just wondering if social distancing will be an issue with them having to come down the train to do so.

No, automatic door selection was switched on last week.

clagmonster

Established Member
Excellent. Timely really. Presumably all now rebriefed on its operation. For obvious reasons I haven't had chance to speak to any traincrew recently.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
18:26 Cleethorpes to Piccadilly (was almost going to write Airport!) was only 3-car, seen on my daily walk.

clagmonster

Established Member
Now that ASDO is operative, would I be correct in thinking that 6 cars can carry passengers in both halves throughout the South Route? Presumably trains are now stopping clear of the crossing at Habrough, with the front 2 off the platform rather than the rear as before.

Presumably trains are now stopping clear of the crossing at Habrough, with the front 2 off the platform rather than the rear as before.

Once a vehicle has passed over a beacon, it will enable the doors on that vehicle. The leading vehicle of the train will have to be positioned on the platform. Any vehicles that haven't passed a beacon will remain locked. Once the set continues its journey after a certain distance the CASDO will reset.

BHXDMT

Now that ASDO is operative, would I be correct in thinking that 6 cars can carry passengers in both halves throughout the South Route?

Across all TPE routes yes.

Presumably trains are now stopping clear of the crossing at Habrough, with the front 2 off the platform rather than the rear as before.

No, the method of work is to foul the crossing now.

_toommm_

Established Member
What's the range of error for stopping over a beacon out of curiosity - is it +/- one metre? And presumably stations such as Sheffield and Doncaster won't use them as all of their platforms (that TPE use) are long enough?

George1066

Once a vehicle has passed over a beacon, it will enable the doors on that vehicle. The leading vehicle of the train will have to be positioned on the platform. Any vehicles that haven't passed a beacon will remain locked. Once the set continues its journey after a certain distance the CASDO will reset.
That certain distance is as soon as the front of the leading carriage is leaving the end of the platform.Under 5 mph you can hear and see ( via TMS screen ) the leading doors becoming disabled. The beacons are programmed with the platform lengths and once carriage has passed certain distance ie platform length the doors become disabled. So you can have the strange scenario that all doors on leading carriage are accommodated on the platform but will be disabled as train antenna/receiver which is connected under the train and at the front thinks it’s off the platform. I think they should have placed antenna to the rear of the carriage and not the front.

BHXDMT

What's the range of error for stopping over a beacon out of curiosity - is it +/- one metre? And presumably stations such as Sheffield and Doncaster won't use them as all of their platforms (that TPE use) are long enough?

All stations that TPE call at/expect to call at have them, as without them the doors will not release at all. The train has to read a beacon as it enters a platform so it knows how long the platform is and thus how many coaches to open.

_toommm_

Established Member
All stations that TPE call at/expect to call at have them, as without them the doors will not release at all. The train has to read a beacon as it enters a platform so it knows how long the platform is and thus how many coaches to open.

Interesting - thank you!

clagmonster

Established Member
No, the method of work is to foul the crossing now.
Thanks. Certainly a turnaround from Network Rail there as they initially weren't keen on that at all.

Are beacons also placed at local door operation stations (I am specifically thinking Barton here)?

BHXDMT

Thanks. Certainly a turnaround from Network Rail there as they initially weren't keen on that at all.

Are beacons also placed at local door operation stations (I am specifically thinking Barton here)?

I don't think so, off the top of my head, as local door control in the centre carriage works regardless of whether any beacons are there. Only Habrough, Grimsby and Cleethorpes have them.

True, but there were reports of occasional doubles even last week and this week.

I believe the 06:26 ex Cleethorpes (and its subsequent workings for the rest of the day) has been the only double set this week.

That certain distance is as soon as the front of the leading carriage is leaving the end of the platform.Under 5 mph you can hear and see ( via TMS screen ) the leading doors becoming disabled. The beacons are programmed with the platform lengths and once carriage has passed certain distance ie platform length the doors become disabled. So you can have the strange scenario that all doors on leading carriage are accommodated on the platform but will be disabled as train antenna/receiver which is connected under the train and at the front thinks it’s off the platform. I think they should have placed antenna to the rear of the carriage and not the front.

I don't have the design notes to hand at the moment but I believe the ideal location for the tracklink receiver is suppose to be the centre of the vehicle, but on a 185 it's not possible due to the engine & cooler group positioning. If the tracklink receiver on the train was positioned at the far end of a vehicle (bearing in mind 54 car being in opposite direction to 53 and 51) then there could be cases of enabling doors where only half a vehicle is accommodated, to counter this the track antenna would need to be positioned further into the platform but that could cause a fully accommodate vehicle not to open at all if stopped slightly short and I think that could easily be done at some locations. Instead the tracklink receiver is mounted on the battery box (biased towards the cab end) and the track antenna accordingly to give the best case scenario. Sounds like there may be some 'tweaking' required for the situation you described!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I believe the 06:26 ex Cleethorpes (and its subsequent workings for the rest of the day) has been the only double set this week.

Ordinarily the previous hour's would have been the most important for Manchester commuters but I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other right now.

Oh I see 06:26 Cleethorpes to Piccadilly was terminated at Sheffield today anyway so that probably screwed things up!

Status
Not open for further replies.