• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE services allocated for Double units

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpjm

I think they should have placed antenna to the rear of the carriage and not the front.

The scenario you describe would be fine running in one direction but what happens when you get to the other end or the train was in reverse? It should be placed in the middle of the vehicle but as pointed out this is not exactly the case. Beacons are positioned accordingly to take this into account and ensure that unexpected doors do not release.

Thanks. Certainly a turnaround from Network Rail there as they initially weren't keen on that at all.
It was in relation to the kit in place at the level crossing. This has apparently now been changed making it safe to stop across the crossing. Indeed when I took a train down there on test we experienced no issues.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mex I can

The 12.26 Cleethorpes to Manchester Piccadilly was a double unit today, sadly it broke down just after Mexborough. Spoilt my afternoon tea break train watching, as several following trains went via Kilnhurst Up goods loop. Still, I was having a better afternoon than the poor crew...

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The 12.26 Cleethorpes to Manchester Piccadilly was a double unit today, sadly it broke down just after Mexborough. Spoilt my afternoon tea break train watching, as several following trains went via Kilnhurst Up goods loop. Still, I was having a better afternoon than the poor crew...

Oops. That is (the same diagrammed set as) the 06:26 Cleethorpes to Piccadilly so that's not good.

Mex I can

It all got a bit strange on the MIA/Cleethorpes service today, some services actually started at MIA (not Piccadilly) and ended at Doncaster. There were also a lot of services down to a single unit.

BHXDMT

It all got a bit strange on the MIA/Cleethorpes service today, some services actually started at MIA (not Piccadilly) and ended at Doncaster. There were also a lot of services down to a single unit.

Some services have been extended to the Airport since the timetable change on May 17th (previously it was only Sat/Sunday that saw any Airport services).

Services have been terminating at Sheffield all week due to a landslip outside Scunthorpe, I'm guessing they've managed to rework the train crew diagrams to allow that to extend to Doncaster as of today.

Mostly 3 cars due to units on the other side of the landslip.

Killingworth

Established Member
Some services have been extended to the Airport since the timetable change on May 17th (previously it was only Sat/Sunday that saw any Airport services).

Services have been terminating at Sheffield all week due to a landslip outside Scunthorpe, I'm guessing they've managed to rework the train crew diagrams to allow that to extend to Doncaster as of today.

Mostly 3 cars due to units on the other side of the landslip.

After the very wettest weather in February, then baking dry for a long perid after that, large cracks have appeared in the ground everywhere. On recent walks I've seen two big slippages at the side of canals. After the sudden heavy rain from recent thunderstorms penetrating into the deep cracks landslides in embankments and cuttings are understandable.

This one seems to be on the long embankment west of Scunthorpe station that was built as the Frodingham Viaduct but where the arches have mostly been filled in to create a high embankment.
WP_20180123_11_32_11_bPro.jpgMy picture was taken in January 2018. The picture in Network Rail's piece is a stock photo of another landslide.

Network Rail webpage here

UK: Scunthorpe landslide closure update
Published on 17-06-2020 at 09:50

A landslip has closed lines through the Lincolnshire town of Scunthorpe, in the north east of England. Freight rolls on, including steel from the local plant, and biomass fuel trains from the nearby port of Immingham.

A weekend landslip brought services through Scunthorpe to a halt, making necessary a replacement bus for passengers, and diversions for freight.
Network Rail update
In an update this morning, 17June, Network Rail’s Matt Rice, their Route Director the North and East Route, said: “Since the landslip was discovered on Friday, our teams have worked around the clock to monitor the area and assess what is needed to repair the damage – all while keeping passengers moving safely on the line between Doncaster and Cleethorpes and by reopening another line to allow freight trains to divert around the site. Those site assessments are now complete and the safest, quickest way to repair the damage is to close the line for seven days to allow 24 hours a day work to take place that will see the line returned to full speed and full capacity by 25 June.”
Seven-days-of-changes-for-passengers-as-Network-Rail-begins-vital-repairs-following-landslip-near-Scunthorpe.jpg
First sight of the technical issues facing Network Rail engineers at Scunthorpe. The case and extent of the landslip is still being investigated (Network Rail) Diversion plan put in action
Freight operations which have demanded some rethinking and rerouting include oil refinery trains run by Colas and Freightliner to Preston and Ipswich, and trips run by DB Cargo for British Steel and Immingham Docks. All services are now routed via an alternative route to the south, via Brigg and old English market town of Gainsborough. Services, including trains of biomass fuel, imported via Immingham Docks and bound for the Drax Power Station complex, are diverting through the town to avoid the landslip in neighbouring Scunthorpe.
The Brigg line had been mothballed since 23 March, due to the suspension of passenger services in the current pandemic. However, signallers have been keeping route knowledge up to date, and diversionary plans were readily implemented. Network Rail say the Brigg line will close again once repairs are complete at Scunthorpe.
Impact-of-landslip-on-the-railway-embankment.jpg
The very first engineers sketch of the impact on the embankment at Brumby Road Lane in Scunthorpe, noting the underlying ground conditions and approximate extent of the affected area. (Network Rail) Diversions via East Coast Main Line
Diversion for the Drax-bound bulk trains means an approach to Doncaster from the south, in order to gain access to the usual, if somewhat circuitous, route to the power station. The diversion does require a short five mile (eight kilometre) run on the East Coast Main Line. Under normal circumstances using that busy corridor may prove challenging. However, with reduced timetables in operation for passenger services, additional paths are available.
Fortunate reversal
Services from the Scunthorpe plant of British Steel Limited will face a slightly more challenging reversal, but the company is confident that should do no more than provide a grandstand view of co-ordinated freight operations. “The disruption to our Scunthorpe site has been minimal,” says Rachel Lawrence from the company. “Freight diverted and no impact on production”, she says.
ESrqdKFWkAERdaz-1.jpg
Scunthorpe steel works, branded British Steel Limited, has been part of the Jingye Group of China since early in 2020 (British Steel Limited).
The location the landslip, which is to the west of the passenger station, leaves the steel works with an easterly access only. A relatively routine reversal is required at Barnetby to gain access to the preferred diversionary via Brigg and Gainsborough.
Biomass not massively affected
“There was a small landslip in the Scunthorpe area at the weekend”, said a spokesperson for Drax, the company operating the iconic power station nearby. “Network Rail has closed the line to allow repairs to take place”, read a brief statement over the weekend. “We have been advised this will take around ten days so hope you enjoy seeing our trains of sustainable biomass from Immingham passing through Gainsborough for a short period.”
Drax-power-station-960-Drax.jpg
Biomass is still reaching Drax power station unhindered (Drax)
Freight traffic has changed over the decades in the north of Lincolnshire. In the 1950s, the area was heavily industrialised, mainly by the power generation industry. The typical working changed from lightly loaded agricultural products to heavy coal and steel trains. The region still retains some of that heavy rail activity today. An oil refinery and nearby bulk terminal at Killingholme are rail connected, along with several other smaller installations.
Ten days to repair
Scunthorpe is the site of the steel manufacturing plant for much of Britain’s rail – the industry’s ‘long products’. The plant recently changed hands to become part of the Jingye Group of China.
Network Rail, the UK infrastructure agency, says that the line may remain closed until 24 June, to allow repairs to be completed.
Featured image is of engineers at work on an earlier landslip repair (Network Rail)

Last edited:

43095john

From today there's 2 diagrams on the Redcar Central - Manchester Airport services that run as a 6 car set all day.

J-P_L

Showing on Tyrell as "Unit UDB'd" and under investigation. I'm not aware of what the acronym stands for though.

UDB stands for Unit door blocking, so it is still a 6 car but with the rear set locked out of use.

Most likely a technical issue with the trailing set requiring it to be locked out of passenger use.

Killingworth

Established Member
How the world has changed. Having my walk early today to avoid the forecast heat I dropped by Dore & Totley Station in time to see the 7.14 for. Manchester arrive. Back in January there'd have been 100 waiting: today there were just 2. I could only see one person in the first half of the train. It pulled away too smartly to be sure but there weren't a lot more in the rear half!

Round hereabouts home working is now firmly established. Barring cancellations elsewhere it looks like it's going to be a long time before 6 coach trains are needed again.

Northern's Hope Valley stoppers may be able to recover better if they're allowed to be used for non essential leisure purposes. They're getting busier already. With so many able to get out into the Peak District every conceivable corner is becoming jam packed with cars, to the extent that mountain rescue and farmers can't get through.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
How the world has changed. Having my walk early today to avoid the forecast heat I dropped by Dore & Totley Station in time to see the 7.14 for. Manchester arrive. Back in January there'd have been 100 waiting: today there were just 2. I could only see one person in the first half of the train. It pulled away too smartly to be sure but there weren't a lot more in the rear half!

Round hereabouts home working is now firmly established. Barring cancellations elsewhere it looks like it's going to be a long time before 6 coach trains are needed again.

Northern's Hope Valley stoppers may be able to recover better if they're allowed to be used for non essential leisure purposes. They're getting busier already. With so many able to get out into the Peak District every conceivable corner is becoming jam packed with cars, to the extent that mountain rescue and farmers can't get through.

Going back to hourly on South TPE from the 6th of July. Wonder whether all will be 6-car though. Even under the COVID timetable there is 3-car on the 18:26 Cleethorpes to Piccadilly and the 20:20 Piccadilly to Cleethorpes.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
UDB stands for Unit door blocking, so it is still a 6 car but with the rear set locked out of use.

Most likely a technical issue with the trailing set requiring it to be locked out of passenger use.

Thank you.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Was it the same again today?

J-P_L

Was it the same again today?

One unit on the RCC circuit had a cab HVAC (Air Con fault) so was turned at Piccadilly (so that unit wasn’t leading) and then split at York (so that was physically 3 car). Was subsequently attached to Strengthen the next service with the problem cab buried in the centre. Also allows positioning to Ardwick tonight for repairs.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
One unit on the RCC circuit had a cab HVAC (Air Con fault) so was turned at Piccadilly (so that unit wasn’t leading) and then split at York (so that was physically 3 car). Was subsequently attached to Strengthen the next service with the problem cab buried in the centre. Also allows positioning to Ardwick tonight for repairs.

Cheers. Track issues too today in many parts with the heat.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
South TPE will be plugging a few gaps from Monday and I'm thinking of travelling Stockport to Sheffield midweek after I get a few essential things done Monday and Tuesday.

Will all TPE be at least booked 6-car? Short-forms are understandable now and then. Everything EMR should be booked 4-car but I'd rather take TPE if it'll be 6-car.

Mugby

Established Member
I got the 1618 from Manchester to Sheffield on Wednesday. It was a six car formation.
I noticed that six cars only just fit in beyond the points to Platform 1B at Sheffield.

Slightly off topic but I noticed most of the Hope Valley stoppers seem to 2 x 150s at present.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I got the 1618 from Manchester to Sheffield on Wednesday. It was a six car formation.
I noticed that six cars only just fit in beyond the points to Platform 1B at Sheffield.

Slightly off topic but I noticed most of the Hope Valley stoppers seem to 2 x 150s at present.

Ah cool I'll be if anything coming back t'other way at 4-5pm but that's handy to know, thanks!

The Hope Valley trains are actually being discussed in the below:

_toommm_

Established Member

They’d fit a lot better if the trains were routed through 1A, but there’s normally a Northenr train in there. They’d be best off doing the former like they do with the XC HSTs.

CW2

Established Member
Just taken a look at the TPE timetables for Sunday 05/07/20. In previous weeks of the COVID timetable there has been a 2-hourly Scarborough Liverpool service from 08:34 until 18:34, then 21:34.
This Sunday both the 12:34 and 21:34 services are not in the timetable, but I can't see any corresponding Eastbound cancellations, so I assume there is some set singling / doubling / juggling taking place.
To leave a 4-hour gap in Scarborough departures in the middle of the day seems dubious. I would have thought the 21:34 Scarborough - Manchester Airport would run at least to Leeds, but it too is cancelled throughout.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Just taken a look at the TPE timetables for Sunday 05/07/20. In previous weeks of the COVID timetable there has been a 2-hourly Scarborough Liverpool service from 08:34 until 18:34, then 21:34.
This Sunday both the 12:34 and 21:34 services are not in the timetable, but I can't see any corresponding Eastbound cancellations, so I assume there is some set singling / doubling / juggling taking place.
To leave a 4-hour gap in Scarborough departures in the middle of the day seems dubious. I would have thought the 21:34 Scarborough - Manchester Airport would run at least to Leeds, but it too is cancelled throughout.

There's a two-hourly service all day except for the last two services where there's a 3 hour gap (18:34-21:34). The 18:34 only goes to Victoria whereas the 21:34 goes through to the Airport.

CW2

Established Member
There's a two-hourly service all day except for the last two services where there's a 3 hour gap (18:34-21:34). The 18:34 only goes to Victoria whereas the 21:34 goes through to the Airport.
That makes more sense. It looks like TPE originally uploaded an incorrect timetable. It's been corrected now, so please ignore the cancellation comments in my previous post.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
16:30 Manchester to Hull got as far as Stalyvegas and the return 19:08 is cancelled. Was this only booked a single today?

J-P_L

16:30 Manchester to Hull got as far as Stalyvegas and the return 19:08 is cancelled. Was this only booked a single today?

Was a double unit 103/151. Failed with a Cat A fault after leaving Stalybridge. Shunted back into Stalybridge and ran ECS to Ardwick.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Was a double unit 103/151. Failed with a Cat A fault after leaving Stalybridge. Shunted back into Stalybridge and ran ECS to Ardwick.

That's not good especially under normal circumstances but on the day many pubs reopened it's a bit of an inconvenience. Still, Stalyvegas has some of Greater Manchester's finest watering holes!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A Cleethorpes and a Huddersfield appear to be 3-car this morning instead of 6.

Not great but if you scrutinise Journey Check you'll see that it's just 2 diagrams so JC makes it out to be a bit worse than it actually is. Plus the Huddersfield only lasts until lunchtime so maybe a second will be added then.

Status
Not open for further replies.