• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan7710

Hi, is it necessary to pass a colourblind test to work as a train conductor? If so can I use colourblind corrective glasses when I sit the test? This is the final stage of my recruitment but it has not been mentioned to me that this would be part of my assessment so I’m unsure if I need to be concerned about if or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
You need to pass the ishihara test for your medical. AFAIK you cannot wear corrective glasses for it.

Allan7710

Have you had an Ishihara test before?
It’s still worth going and seeing what they say.
I have as a child, so I know I have red/green colour blindness. It hasn’t been mentioned to me that it was a prerequisite for the role, as the assessment has mostly focused on customer service. I’ll still attend the medical but I’m assuming it’ll be an automatic fail.

WombleGuard

I have as a child, so I know I have red/green colour blindness. It hasn’t been mentioned to me that it was a prerequisite for the role, as the assessment has mostly focused on customer service. I’ll still attend the medical but I’m assuming it’ll be an automatic fail.
Pretty sure it would have been in the original job description. I've never known a Guard/Conductor or Driver one where it hasn't been.

And sadly Red/Green is fundamental to the role. I don't think this will end well for you I'm sorry to say.

skyhigh

Established Member
And sadly Red/Green is fundamental to the role. I don't think this will end well for you I'm sorry to say.
Sadly this is correct. Until things change you'll struggle to get any safety critical job on the railway when you're red/green colourblind.

Allan7710

Pretty sure it would have been in the original job description. I've never known a Guard/Conductor or Driver one where it hasn't been.

No it wasn’t in the original job description as I still have it but thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.