• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train delay experiences due to current staff shortsges

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Given my travel experiences yesterday, I thought I would start a thread where people can post their experiences on train delays or cancellations due to current staff shortages.

This isn't meant for discussing planned cancellations unless you turned up unaware.

Yesterday I was at Gatwick Airport and boarded the late-running 14:21 to Littlehampton. I should have got the 14:32 to Brighton but boards this train as it arrived first.

I'm sure I read on National Rail Enquiries that it was delayed due to awaiting a member of staff and on Real Time Trains due to a late-running late in front it was held up at East Croydon.

Once we got towards Haywards Heath, 13 minutes late, we slowed down and stopped at a red signal. The driver explained this. Eventually, I noticed online that platform 1at Haywards Heath had a train to London Victoria to it. That was delayed due to staff shortages. Thus all we could do was use platform 2 unless they could put us in platform 3 or 4.

The train to Brighton, which departed second overtook us. I then assumed we were going to use platform 2. Eventually, the driver asked the OBS to speak to them. We then carried on and ended up on platform 1 behind the train to Victoria. We arrived 19 minutes late, so the additional delay was 6 minutes.

Maybe the train to London was going to now head south. Anyway, I lighted before anything further was said to passengers. At the time I was not sure why we needed to wait before going into platform 1.

Now I read on Real Train Times that the train was cancelled from Haywards Heath due to a planning error. I assume we were stuck at a red signal whilst someone decided what would happen with the train. The train then went back to London as a 12 carriage train.

All the passengers heading south just missed the fast train to Brighton whilst we waited and perhaps ended up on a delayed stopping service to Brighton at 13;56 There was a train at 15:04 but I see on Real Time Trains it says no report for stations after Three Bridges, so who knows what happened to that train. Perhaps terminated at Three Brisges but no reason entered.

(Edt thanks for moving the post to the right forum. Not sure what happened there as I meant to be post here).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.