• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver cabs and Tall People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arvi

Hi all

Hope you all had a great Easter weekend.
My question may sound daft but i feel i should still ask. I am nearly 6ft 5 inches tall and was wondering if the Train drivers cab would be a comfortable work area for a person of my size?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

75A

Established Member
I think it very much depends of what you're going to drive. I was at Brighton in the 80's and I'm 6 feet 7, and was fine in 09's 33's 47's & 73's but struggled in HAP multiple units but was ok in DEMU's.

Bigfoot

Hi all

My question may sound daft but i feel i should still ask. I am nearly 6ft 5 inches tall and was wondering if the Train drivers cab would be a comfortable work area for a person of my size?
Are you in proportion? Or all leg?

ComUtoR

Established Member
There is a set limit but at the extreme lengths you will need a risk assesent.

I THINK my TOC has one of the tallest Drivers on the railway and as he has been risk assessed; anyone under him will be automatically accepted for all our units.

There is a set standard that you can check on the RSSB website but it's generally down to each TOC to decide what is acceptable.

irish_rail

Established Member
I beleive there is a height limit of 6"4 but could be wrong it might just be 6"5. I know there is a TM at our place who couldn't go driving because he was too tall but he's more like 6 "8 or something.

MotCO

Established Member
I think it very much depends of what you're going to drive. I was at Brighton in the 80's and I'm 6 feet 7, and was fine in 09's 33's 47's & 73's but struggled in HAP multiple units but was ok in DEMU's.

What did you do if you were rostered for a HAP (whatever that is :s)? Did you just drive in an uncomfortable way, or did you have to refuse it?

387star

On Moderation
Hi all

Not if you're driving a 158...

DriverEight

Hi all

It's not a daft question at all. I can't speak for trains, but going back to the early days of my truck driving career, I worked with a guy that was 6'8" and he had real problems. He couldn't see under the level of the top of the windscreen unless he slumped right down in his seat, but this cramped his legs up so much he struggled with the pedals. Modern trucks are much better, but 30 years ago it was much different. It's probably the same with trains. I suppose the same question applies to short people - is there a minimum height requirement?

75A

Established Member
What did you do if you were rostered for a HAP (whatever that is :s)? Did you just drive in an uncomfortable way, or did you have to refuse it?
Fortunately for me I was a Secondman in the Mixed Traction link.
HAP units were old & decrepit electric units so if offered the chance to drive could so no thanks.

Mintona

Established Member
I’m 6ft 5 and haven’t had any problems. Our newer trains have a DSD pedal that rises up and down so it’s not too difficult to get comfortable.

Arvi

I’m 6ft 5 and haven’t had any problems. Our newer trains have a DSD pedal that rises up and down so it’s not too difficult to get comfortable.
Cheers mate
This is really encouraging

It's not a daft question at all. I can't speak for trains, but going back to the early days of my truck driving career, I worked with a guy that was 6'8" and he had real problems. He couldn't see under the level of the top of the windscreen unless he slumped right down in his seat, but this cramped his legs up so much he struggled with the pedals. Modern trucks are much better, but 30 years ago it was much different. It's probably the same with trains. I suppose the same question applies to short people - is there a minimum height requirement?
Wonderful and encoursging
The last thing i want is to become a health and safety threat to the passengers, my colleagues and the rolling stock
Thank you for taking the time to respond

Are you in proportion? Or all leg?
In proportion mate
But would not call myself overweight or obese though
It is just the bone structure

Last edited:

Bigfoot

In proportion mate
But would not call myself overweight or obese though
It is just the bone structure
I just ask as some older stock can cause issues if you're very long legged, but if proportional then you should be ok.

StaffsPM1

As others have said depends on what company and traction you sign. I am 6ft5 and have driven 37s (far too small for DSD pedal), and 222s (lovely size with plenty of room) more modern trains are far better adjustable but like most things in life as a tall person you adapt (have you ever had a truly comfortable car for example? lol)
I can drive a small end of a 153 so you just adapt, don't let it put you off if you want to be a train driver.

craigybagel

Established Member
Not if you're driving a 158...

It's probably all dependent on which TOC you apply to & what rolling stock they have, at 6.5 you will have problems in 158's & definitely 153's.
Indeed, I'm barely 6 foot myself (though I do have proportionallly longer legs) and whilst I can drive 158s, It's impossible to be comfortable. My legs will be wedged against the bulkhead underneath the desk no matter what height I put the seat at. I regularly do 3½ hour trips in one go and on a 158 I'll need to stand up at stations, and/or drive sitting side saddle for part of the journey, with one foot on the DSD and the other sideways away from the desk.

I can drive a small end of a 153 so you just adapt, don't let it put you off if you want to be a train driver.
Weirdly as a taller person I find it's the big end of the 153 that's much more uncomfortable. There's a big lip under the desk that's at knee height that restricts leg room that isn't there in the small end.

Getting in and out of the seat itself is the challenge with the small end of a 153, but at least once your in there's a bit more space for your knees.

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member
I’m 6ft 5 and used to manage ok on a 158. Although my maximum journey was about an hour, not three and a half which might make a difference.

craigybagel

Established Member
I’m 6ft 5 and used to manage ok on a 158. Although my maximum journey was about an hour, not three and a half which might make a difference.
Indeed, I've just edited my post as I didn't include what might have been a more important point that my legs are pretty long proportionally! BR got some things right about their cab designs (like the heaters) but they're definitely not as good as modern cabs when it comes to legroom.

I had to do a 150 mile long ECS run in a 158 one day - which normally would make for a nice change. But between the 50mph limit (the unit was knackered and was being returned home for repairs) and the lack of station stops to stretch my legs it got pretty painful by the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.