• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuggachugga92

On Moderation
Hello. I'm due another medical and since my last medical I've unfortunately put on 3 stone due to depression etc. (I'm shifting it now) but won't be able to lose the weight before next week lol. I shouldn't fail the medical for being a fat lad should I? I am still active and can perform my duties etc
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver2B

Hello. I'm due another medical and since my last medical I've unfortunately put on 3 stone due to depression etc. (I'm shifting it now) but won't be able to lose the weight before next week lol. I shouldn't fail the medical for being a fat lad should I as I am still active and can perform my duties etc
Thanks

Hi,

The short answer is, I don't know if I can answer that question, even having looked at RIS-3451-TOM.

However, my thoughts:
* Remember: there are more lenient requirements for existing drivers than new drivers.
* Looking around our messroom, there are many drivers who look like they don't often miss a meal - it's nice that at work I'm probably about average and everywhere else, larger than average! Drivers are not known to be beanstalks (and I don't think the job helps us maintain a healthy weight, either)
* I think the important bits are the ECG and whether you are fit enough to perform your duties - you've told us you are for the latter, and hopefully your ECG is okay, too.
* If, unfortunately, you are not fit enough, I understand (at our place at least), you have some time to make any necessary changes if it's possible to regain fitness.

Have you spoken to your colleagues?

If I were you, I wouldn't stress too much. Fingers crossed all is okay, but worry isn't going to help (easier said than done, I know).

Attachments

• RIS-3451-TOM Iss 1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 74

Chuggachugga92

On Moderation
Hi,

The short answer is, I don't know if I can answer that question, even having looked at RIS-3451-TOM.

However, my thoughts:
* Remember: there are more lenient requirements for existing drivers than new drivers.
* Looking around our messroom, there are many drivers who look like they don't often miss a meal - it's nice that at work I'm probably about average and everywhere else, larger than average! Drivers are not known to be beanstalks (and I don't think the job helps us maintain a healthy weight, either)
* I think the important bits are the ECG and whether you are fit enough to perform your duties - you've told us you are for the latter, and hopefully your ECG is okay, too.
* If, unfortunately, you are not fit enough, I understand (at our place at least), you have some time to make any necessary changes if it's possible to regain fitness.

Have you spoken to your colleagues?

If I were you, I wouldn't stress too much. Fingers crossed all is okay, but worry isn't going to help (easier said than done, I know).
Thanks, I never see anyone to talk to lol, maybe they'll see that it was the medication etc that made me Balloon up and now I'm off it its dropping off easier, I remember my last medical the doctor made me do squats and burpees monkey crawls before he signed me off

Last edited by a moderator:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Can we please keep the comments respectful regarding the question asked.

@Chuggachugga92 are you aware of your BMI before this upcoming medical? That would obviously be relevant.

Established Member
Hello. I'm due another medical and since my last medical I've unfortunately put on 3 stone due to depression etc. (I'm shifting it now) but won't be able to lose the weight before next week lol. I shouldn't fail the medical for being a fat lad should I? I am still active and can perform my duties etc
Thanks

Judging from the size of many drivers, unless you are so overweight that it impedes your mobility to the extent you would be unable to fulfil the requirements of the role (or you have other issues such as high blood pressure, heart problems etc.), I can’t see it being an issue.

Chuggachugga92

On Moderation
Judging from the size of many drivers, unless you are so overweight that it impedes your mobility to the extent you would be unable to fulfil the requirements of the role (or you have other issues such as high blood pressure, heart problems etc.), I can’t see it being an issue.
Aye I'm just a worrier there's drivers 2 or 3 times size of myself. Need to stop being anxious about stupid ****

1867Blue

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know when you have completed your initial medical for junior/trainee driver how long it’s valid for?

I’m due to have mine soon but I’m in a talent pool so wondering if a start date is imminent depending on the medical, which I shouldn’t fail.

Finally is the medical different to a normal medical for the railway as I passed that in February.

thanks in advance

4F89

3 years
As far as I'm aware, if it's a safety critical medical, they are all the same.

4F89

They won't pay for a medical unless there is nigh on certainty of a course starting soon. They don't use medicals to filter out candidates

1867Blue

They won't pay for a medical unless there is nigh on certainty of a course starting soon. They don't use medicals to filter out candidates
That’s good to know then, thank you for the insight. It is what I was hoping for to be honest. I applied for the job in November last year. Think it’s been drawn out due to the pandemic.

Stigy

Established Member
Does anybody know what the initial medical consists of for new starters.

Thanks in advance
It’ll generally be eyesight, hearing, ECG (heart monitor), Blood Pressure and urine sample (for drugs and alcohol). There is usually a consultation with the doc too which will address any concerns and go over any medication etc you’re on. This will be a general well-being chats too and may discuss BMI etc.

1867Blue

It’ll generally be eyesight, hearing, ECG (heart monitor), Blood Pressure and urine sample (for drugs and alcohol). There is usually a consultation with the doc too which will address any concerns and go over any medication etc you’re on. This will be a general well-being chats too and may discuss BMI etc.
Thanks for that Stigy.

I knew there was a doctors part but wasn’t sure what for. I’m generally fit and healthy however I do wear contacts/glasses. Other than that I’m fairly confident though I don’t want to get this far and fall at this hurdle.

4F89

They will raise concerns, but have to wait for dip tests anyway, so u should have a good idea, but no confirmation

1867Blue

They will raise concerns, but have to wait for dip tests anyway, so u should have a good idea, but no confirmation
Out of interest. Does your company then give you the details or would they just go ahead with giving you a start date.

iwasyoungonce

Normally you get an offer first pending medical but I have recently been offered 2 medicals with different FOC's before any formal offer so who knows.

Stigy

Established Member
You think it will be long until we’re informed of a start date. Do the Medicaid have an expiry date ?
It varies between TOCs/FOCs, but if you’ve been invited to a medical, usually a start date is imminent. Your medical is valid for 3 years once you’re in a safety critical role until you’re a certain age (up to 60?) then it’s yearly, so I’d imagine the same applies to pre-employment medicals?

I can’t see an company putting you through a medical with no start date imminent as it would be an unnecessary waste of money.

1867Blue

It varies between TOCs/FOCs, but if you’ve been invited to a medical, usually a start date is imminent. Your medical is valid for 3 years once you’re in a safety critical role until you’re a certain age (up to 60?) then it’s yearly, so I’d imagine the same applies to pre-employment medicals?

I can’t see an company putting you through a medical with no start date imminent as it would be an unnecessary waste of money.
Makes sense doesn’t it. Just the last hurdle to get over and then the wait should finally be over.

Chuggachugga92

On Moderation

You say this mate but I went for a medical 4 weeks ago (passed) and still awaiting contact from the FOC (already qualified) must cost about 200 quid I'd say for a private doctor to do a medical

1867Blue

You say this mate but I went for a medical 4 weeks ago (passed) and still awaiting contact from the FOC (already qualified) must cost about 200 quid I'd say for a private doctor to do a medical
I would be coming in as a junior driver so would need to wait for a training course to start I assume

Status
Not open for further replies.