• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver or Customer Ambassador? (SWR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpy19

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice if I may...

I applied for the Trainee Train Driver role back in March. I was recently told by the recruitment team my application is still live but there is a delay in recruitment for this role for obvious reasons.

I recently applied for the Customer Ambassador role. My life long goal is to become a train driver. If I was to become successful in this role, would this damage my chances of becoming a train driver in the future or could it enhance my chances? I would hate to shoot myself in the foot!

Also I read in the advert that the role is for 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday 0800-1524, £26,674 plus regional allowances. I was not expecting this and seems far too good to be true!?

I've read alot on here about the Train Driver role but if there are any Customer Ambassadors out there, I would love to hear from you about your experiences.

Thank you and hope you're all well and staying safe.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MiNi

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice if I may...

I applied for the Trainee Train Driver role back in March. I was recently told by the recruitment team my application is still live but there is a delay in recruitment for this role for obvious reasons.

I recently applied for the Customer Ambassador role. My life long goal is to become a train driver. If I was to become successful in this role, would this damage my chances of becoming a train driver in the future or could it enhance my chances? I would hate to shoot myself in the foot!

Also I read in the advert that the role is for 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday 0800-1524, £26,674 plus regional allowances. I was not expecting this and seems far too good to be true!?

I've read alot on here about the Train Driver role but if there are any Customer Ambassadors out there, I would love to hear from you about your experiences.

Thank you and hope you're all well and staying safe.
Is the customer ambassador role the one for Yeovil Junction ?. Getting your foot in the door is the hardest bit. Once you are employed by the Railway you may be able to move up the ladder & with experience of the Railway maybe apply to be a driver.

Carpy19

Yes it's for Yeovil Junction. If my driver application was unsuccessful then I wouldn't be pondering and I'd go for this Customer Ambassador role with no hesitation but as my driver application is still live (assuming I'm waiting to hear back about psychometrics) I don't know what to do. I agree getting my foot in the door may open up opportunities though. I just don't know whether they would put me through a customer service apprenticeship and a driver apprenticeship in the future. Difficult to know what to do.

MiNi

Yes it's for Yeovil Junction. If my driver application was unsuccessful then I wouldn't be pondering and I'd go for this Customer Ambassador role with no hesitation but as my driver application is still live (assuming I'm waiting to hear back about psychometrics) I don't know what to do. I agree getting my foot in the door may open up opportunities though. I just don't know whether they would put me through a customer service apprenticeship and a driver apprenticeship in the future. Difficult to know what to do.
Is the live driver application for the new Yeovil depot or somewhere else ?.
Are you living nearer the train depot or Yeovil Junction. They do look at travelling distances in your application.

Carpy19

Yes the driver application is for Yeovil Junction too and I live approx 30 mins from Yeovil Junction. Is the train depot not Yeovil Junction then?

MiNi

Yes the driver application is for Yeovil Junction too and I live approx 30 mins from Yeovil Junction. Is the train depot not Yeovil Junction then?
Yes the train depot is there too. It's a new depot but it's gone very quiet on the amount of drivers & guards that they need out there. I know we have had covid so things will hopefully get going again sometime. Have you ever thought about being a guard as Well . They were advertising for that role before lockdown.

Carpy19

Yes the train depot is there too. It's a new depot but it's gone very quiet on the amount of drivers & guards that they need out there. I know we have had covid so things will hopefully get going again sometime. Have you ever thought about being a guard as Well . They were advertising for that role before lockdown.

When I spoke to a member of recruitment the other day, I was informed that due to the social distancing measures, they are not training new drivers at the moment. I was told to just sit tight and wait for an email. Yes I'm happy to consider any role with a view of progressing and becoming a driver which is want I've wanted to do for quite some time. Do you work for SWR then? If so, what's your role?

MiNi

No,I'm still trying. I had an assessment day back in October for the commercial guard position at Yeovil Junction but failed the last of the days assessment(passed all the others). I had to wait 6 months to reapply but covid has stopped that for now. I only live 10 mins from Yeovil Junction so this role is Ideal for me. Good luck in your applications.

MiNi

No,I'm still trying. I had an assessment day back in October for the commercial guard position at Yeovil Junction but failed the last of the days assessment(passed all the others). I had to wait 6 months to reapply but covid has stopped that for now. I only live 10 mins from Yeovil Junction so this role is Ideal for me. Good luck in your applications.
The customer ambassador role job has already closed due to high numbers of applications.

dth

I would go for the customer ambassador role while you have the opportunity. It will give you some good working experience you can use to take forward.

Also with respect to you, you still have to pass all the driver assessments. That process, in the best of times, can take several months to complete. So you are likely to have a long wait before you see any movement.

Good luck

Carpy19

Ah no! Well at least you know what to expect next time. Sounds like you did well to get that far considering the volume of applications for each role. Keep applying and I wish you luck. Thank you :)

The customer ambassador role job has already closed due to high numbers of applications.

Yes I did notice. Glad I got my application in! Did the online assessment but not heard anything back from it. Maybe now the vacancy has closed I'll hear back.

Carpy19

I would go for the customer ambassador role while you have the opportunity. It will give you some good working experience you can use to take forward.

Also with respect to you, you still have to pass all the driver assessments. That process, in the best of times, can take several months to complete. So you are likely to have a long wait before you see any movement.

Good luck

Cheers for the message DTH!

From what I can gather, it's difficult to get into any role within the railway industry, thus having to complete all assessments for the customer ambassador role. I always think that good things come to those who wait so prepared to wait, however, I absolutely agree with you that gaining experience will help with progression opportunities that may arise.

dth

No worries. You do have to be very patient in this game and it's good that you know that already. Although they obviously use different assesments you'll have an understanding of how the assessment process works and you gain experiences to take to.your interviews.

Carpy19

I've just recieved an email informing me I was unsuccessful for the Customer Ambassador role. I guess I just sit tight and wait to hear back regarding my Trainee Train Driver application. Bit gutted but guess perseverance and resilience is key!

MiNi

I've just recieved an email informing me I was unsuccessful for the Customer Ambassador role. I guess I just sit tight and wait to hear back regarding my Trainee Train Driver application. Bit gutted but guess perseverance and resilience is key!
I received the same email as you. The dreaded "No" reply. Here's hoping that they advertise for commercial guards role again sometime.

Carpy19

I received the same email as you. The dreaded "No" reply. Here's hoping that they advertise for commercial guards role again sometime.

Sorry to hear that :( we'll get there, I'm sure of it, just got to keep applying :)

Applepie356

Just curious, do ToC’s advertise internally to their Customer assistants, Guards, Shunters etc before advertising externally?

MiNi

Just curious, do ToC’s advertise internally to their Customer assistants, Guards, Shunters etc before advertising externally?
I've always thought that they probably do advertise internally. And the internal applicants get the jobs anyhow. By law they probably have to advertise the role externally.

Carpy19

Hi Applepie356!

I'm not sure if I'm honest. Normally the adverts would state 'internal applicants only'. I believe companies have to show that they are externally advertising positions. Obviously those already in the industry with experience will be seen as the more suitable candidates I'd imagine.

baz962

Established Member
Not at my toc. It goes external at the same time as internal. Also , trainee driver is the one role that you cannot apply through an internal portal and internal staff have to apply through the same external site as everyone else. I can't speak for other tocs .

MiNi

Ah no! Well at least you know what to expect next time. Sounds like you did well to get that far considering the volume of applications for each role. Keep applying and I wish you luck. Thank you :)

Yes I did notice. Glad I got my application in! Did the online assessment but not heard anything back from it. Maybe now the vacancy has closed I'll hear back.
Bumping this thread up again.
A friend of mine applied the same evening as me for this role & has done 3- 4 on line assessments for the role. The last one was done on Thursday evening,then an email was received saying that they had passed all the assessments. It also said that they endever to put all people who passed the assessments through to the next stage but this is not always possible. Anyone shed any light on this expression. Have they a chance of this position now?.

Carpy19

Bumping this thread up again.
A friend of mine applied the same evening as me for this role & has done 3- 4 on line assessments for the role. The last one was done on Thursday evening,then an email was received saying that they had passed all the assessments. It also said that they endever to put all people who passed the assessments through to the next stage but this is not always possible. Anyone shed any light on this expression. Have they a chance of this position now?.

I received the same response after I passed the online assessment for the trainee train driver role. I think there's a point system in place for all those that passed, so those with a higher score will be progressed to the next stage. All depends on the volume of people that passed and the number of positions I guess. I could be wrong but that's what I take from the email.

MiNi

I received the same response after I passed the online assessment for the trainee train driver role. I think there's a point system in place for all those that passed, so those with a higher score will be progressed to the next stage. All depends on the volume of people that passed and the number of positions I guess. I could be wrong but that's what I take from the email.
That's what I read into it aswell. Obviously the customer ambassador role at Yeovil Junction is only 1 position so like you in your trainee train driver role it's just a waiting & hoping game now for everyone who 'passed' the online stuff.

Lakeside2020!

I to also have applied for the Customer Ambassador Role based at Yeovil Junction with SWR thankfully made it through all the online assessments
(Man they really through some tough stuff at you). But joined the long waiting game now to see if i've made it into the next stage (Assessment Centre/Interview) just have to hope really!

MiNi

I to also have applied for the Customer Ambassador Role based at Yeovil Junction with SWR thankfully made it through all the online assessments
(Man they really through some tough stuff at you). But joined the long waiting game now to see if i've made it into the next stage (Assessment Centre/Interview) just have to hope really!
My friend is also in the waiting game with you. I suppose in the current climate it could be a week or 6 months before anybody hears anything. Do you live locally to Yeovil or will relocate if successful ?.

Lakeside2020!

My friend is also in the waiting game with you. I suppose in the current climate it could be a week or 6 months before anybody hears anything. Do you live locally to Yeovil or will relocate if successful ?.
I live in Sherborne and the hours stated 08:00 to 15:36 so all times that are easily done with a SWR service or I am in the final stages of learning to drive so will either drive or use the train service.

Stigy

Established Member
If you're happy to wait before applying for a driving position again, Customer Ambassador is a good role to get. Bear in. mind due to the length of training and it basically being an Apprenticeship for this role, you may find you're tied in to it for a few years? Irrespective though, you won't be able to apply for a Trainee Driver job for at least 6-months.

MiNi

If you're happy to wait before applying for a driving position again, Customer Ambassador is a good role to get. Bear in. mind due to the length of training and it basically being an Apprenticeship for this role, you may find you're tied in to it for a few years? Irrespective though, you won't be able to apply for a Trainee Driver job for at least 6-months.
I think they mean driving a car stigy.

MiNi

I live in Sherborne and the hours stated 08:00 to 15:36 so all times that are easily done with a SWR service or I am in the final stages of learning to drive so will either drive or use the train service.
I see that a different role of Customer Ambassador 2 is live now with different hours & pay grade. Earlies & lates & rotating day off. Does anyone know if the original job has been scrapped for this role. At least there may be more job opportunities there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.