• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Failure at Bayford

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Would there have been any punishment for the driver in this case? Or would it just be a case of being a bit red-faced?

Given the comments about the cup holder being unfit for purpose, I doubt there’s much scope for doing much. Words of suitable advice for the future perhaps.

Unless of course there’s already been a notice of some sorts instructing drivers not to place cups on the desk, in which case it could turn into a can of worms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe96

Driver split coffee all over the control in the cab. They did plan to do single line working as the unit could be driven from the south end cab but the MOM couldn’t work the ground frame at Cuffley so eventually a driver from Hitchin came to pick up a spare unit in the sidings at Hertford north to move back into Hertford.
717011 was the culprit and ironically failed yesterday came out of Hornsey forming a peak service diverted into KGX because of a track circuit failure at Highbury and Islington and the driver could not get the brakes to release again!

Please could someone supply a picture showing the cup holder indicating why it is a daft place;
and another picture showing a cab with the cup in a sensible place.

sodinium

717011 was the culprit and ironically failed yesterday came out of Hornsey forming a peak service diverted into KGX because of a track circuit failure at Highbury and Islington and the driver could not get the brakes to release again!
I would say that is a very interesting detail. Do you believe yesterday's failiure affected the first in any way?

philthetube

Established Member
It amazes me that so little notice is taken of drivers when designing cabs, I drive S stock on LUL, the unions were involved in cab design and although not everything suggested was put in lace they are a decent train to drive, with a cup holder in the right place, also designed to be comfortable to drive standing up, which I would consider important.

WindsorJoe

Yes the unit was sat in platform 2 at KGX for over three hours, was still there when I left at 8pm , no idea how or when it was moved.

Joe96

I would say that is a very interesting detail. Do you believe yesterday's failiure affected the first in any way?
I couldn’t say to be honest. Both times it was in the north/country end cab so possibly the fault reoccurred

Yes the unit was sat in platform 2 at KGX for over three hours, was still there when I left at 8pm , no idea how or when it was moved.
Must of eventually moved as it was sat in hornsey all day yesterday

RB-RP

Afternoon all, Yes the coffee was spilt regarding this failure on 717011, But the failure was masked by the coffee spillage, in fact the issue lies within the tripcock system, it was renewed the moring after this, but that afternoon failed again & is currently sat inside the shed at hornsey awaiting a fix

sodinium

I couldn’t say to be honest. Both times it was in the north/country end cab so possibly the fault reoccurred
Could have been that, but judging by the following post:
Afternoon all, Yes the coffee was spilt regarding this failure on 717011, But the failure was masked by the coffee spillage, in fact the issue lies within the tripcock system, it was renewed the moring after this, but that afternoon failed again & is currently sat inside the shed at hornsey awaiting a fix
It was a dodgy fix

choochoochoo

Established Member
Think there is an ongoing issue with this unit and the tripcock/brakes at country end cab. I'm sure I heard it's happened previous to this sunday's occurence.

Status
Not open for further replies.